1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Weight of the F5 Marmon-Herrington all wheel drive dump truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Billy1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weight of the F5 Marmon-Herrington all wheel drive dump truck

I have purchased a 1948 F5 Marmon-Herrington all wheel drive dump truck. My problem is not knowing what it weighs so I can get it home on a trailer. It runs but I have a distance to get home and have no desire to be broke down on the highway with it and a 1 day transit permit.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-19-2003, 06:17 AM
sasha98
Junior User

Consider renting a tow-bar. I bought a 99 DS truck wreck, had it loaded on my trailer, and started towing it with my Full-Size Bronco. Hit 50mph on the Interstate and the damn thing almost flipped everything. I managed to regain control and drove 40mph the rest of the way home. That was a long day.

Old 06-19-2003, 11:45 AM
robertr
Senior User

The MH 4x4 is likely around 6000 pounds, possibly more depending on wheelbase, and the bed/hoist combo. If you tow it, consider using something that is at least a 1 ton as a tow rig, and take both the drivelines off of the MH. I learned from another forum member that these trucks had a clutch like setup in the tranfer case that keeps the two axles connected. Best to disconnect all the drivelines therefore. I have towed with a tow bar and found that as long as the weight difference was acceptable, it worked fine. Speed is not in the plan however. Trailering is scary with something this big. Best of luck.

Bob in Spokane.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:38 PM
2speed
Senior User

My 1948 F5 dump truck 2WD, with me sitting in it, is 6500. I would figure on at least 7000. Try and find someone in the excavating business with a tag-a-long trailer. You'll have a big enough truck and trailer and won't have to do anything but drive it on....

Old 06-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Marmon
Junior User

I'm sure that your AWD dump truck weighs more than 7,500#. My '49 Ford/M-H has a short wheelbase and a Load Lugger body and it weighs almost 9,000#, although it does have a snow plow hitch. The M-H transfer case weighs almost 300#, the front axle is about 400# heavier than a two wheel drive axle and the extra crossmembers, driveshafts, and normally equipped heavy duty springs will add up to about 1,000# over a standard 2WD truck. It will also present a substantial amount of wind resistance on the highway and will have a relatively high center-of-gravity, especially on a trailer, owing to the five inch increase in frame height from the AWD conversion. A heavy duty trailer is in order here, especially for any long distance travel.

Take care of that truck, and yourself! Good luck.