6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 degas bottle overflowing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:22 PM
motorcycleemporium
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 degas bottle overflowing

Hi,

Bought a used ford 2011 f350 6.7 diesel last year. I have 186000 miles on it. I am having two issues. Only when pulling a trailer, antifreeze is leaking from the cap on the degass bottle, comes up on the drivers side windshield. Can stop and remove cap, relieve the pressure, and continue down the road awhile. Does not happen when there is no trailer. The egr, egr cooler, muffler has been deleted. Is this a head gasket issue??
2nd problem that is getting worse. Transmission from 1st to 2nd shifting bad. Always on start up when its cold. After driving down the expressway for a while and then stopping, shifting from 1st to 2nd is bad. The gauge shows that it is running hot, but the temp on the bottom of the pan is 50 degrees cooler than it is reading.

Thanks

Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM
BASSHUNTER
Mountain Pass
I had the same issue on my 6.4 and it was the HG's.It would only puke antifreeze on a uphill pull with trailer hooked up. When they replaced them i purchased ARP Studs and had them install them when they put it back together.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:41 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 904 Likes on 327 Posts
I dont know the answer, but these 6.7 are nothing like the 6.4's or 6.0's. Get it in for service before you cause damage. Something is either getting too hot, or causing pressure to build.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 AM
motorcycleemporium
Freshman User
Gauge on dash is not showing that the coolant is running hot. It does work, main water pump went out, started to get warm then by gauge, shut her down before it got to hot. Did you know this engine has two water pumps? Think my problem is pressure related. Ordered a new filter, fluid, and pan gasket for the transmission, going to see if it helps shifting any.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:53 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by motorcycleemporium
Did you know this engine has two water pumps?
It has 2 seperate coolant systems

There are two separate cooling systems on Ford’s new engine: a high-temperature system that runs at 194 degrees to cool the engine, and a low-temperature system that cools an air-to-water intercooler, transmission fluid, fuel cooler, and EGR system with a 122-degree coolant. A beltdriven pump mounted low on the driver side circulates the high-temperature coolant, while a separate beltdriven pump mounted higher on the passenger side circulates the low-temperature coolant

Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 PM
motorcycleemporium
Freshman User
My water pump on the high pressure side went bad. Turbo has been replaced also. Went to my local dealer today. Talked to the service manager about the antifreeze leak. He said they have not had one with head gasket trouble yet. But that's what it sounds like is wrong with mine.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Given its deleted, I am guessing it over boosted and blew a gasket.

I assume they use same gaskets as on the earlier PSD's (laminated steel), which means it will only leak when under heavy load, and will reseal under "normal" conditions. I would almost guarantee that with your issues its head gaskets.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I have to agree with Adrian, with your mods you have to be tuned for the truck to even run. What sort of tune are you running?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Is there air bubbles in the tank when it is overflowing? If the HGs are bad it should be blowing compression into the water jacket. Your oil doesn't look like a coffee milkshake does it?

Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Get a tester to test the coolant for exhaust gases.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 AM
motorcycleemporium
Freshman User
Mods were done by previous owner. I figured it would have to have a tune or program on it. I have no clue what they installed on it though, stinks. Just changed the oil, it looked fine, not milky. Did get a piece of metal clink in my drain pan. Came out with the old oil. Half a circle about the size of a quarter or smaller. Looks like it could have been a full circle, but broke. Maybe a valve seat or something? Were could I buy the tester for the gasses in the coolant? When it acted up. I pulled over, degass bottle looks low. Slowly open cap, can here air escaping, the antifreeze level increases in bottle, it is bubbling.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by motorcycleemporium
Mods were done by previous owner. I figured it would have to have a tune or program on it. I have no clue what they installed on it though, stinks. Just changed the oil, it looked fine, not milky. Did get a piece of metal clink in my drain pan. Came out with the old oil. Half a circle about the size of a quarter or smaller. Looks like it could have been a full circle, but broke. Maybe a valve seat or something? Were could I buy the tester for the gasses in the coolant? When it acted up. I pulled over, degass bottle looks low. Slowly open cap, can here air escaping, the antifreeze level increases in bottle, it is bubbling.

Sounds like head gaskets to me. That sucks. Your going to have to ID the metal piece before you start repairs. Put a magnet on it and see what happens. Is it flat?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but I have a question -

You bought a used truck with 180,000+ miles that's had the emissions equip removed and obviously tuned to be able to run but you don't know what 'tune' it has or what tuner was used on the truck? Doesn't that seem a bit odd?

By no means am I doubting the OP's story, just hard to understand.

With blown head gaskets (first one I've ever heard of on a 6.7) and large chunks of metal in the oil pan, I can see a short block in the very near future and that's going to get very expensive.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM
motorcycleemporium
Freshman User
Didn't know it had head gasket trouble when purchased. Got it cheap enough and will do the labor myself. They didn't tell me the mods had been done (car lot). Took a jug of def with me, to pick it up. Kept checking it and trying to add, it never used any was full all the time. That's when I started looking and noticed things missing. The piece of metal looks like, just an example, a key ring that your keys are on, cut it in half like a half circle. Its about that size and shape.