Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What did you do to your IDI today?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
nice job Darrell.

log truck;

set the autocrane up in place.going to try and make it workable enough to lift a few logs for tomorrow.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 PM
88/90f-250IDI
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't today but I added some new cab lights to the cab and put in a new windshield. Almost ready to go.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:19 AM
Darrell Thompson
Junior User
Originally Posted by 88/90f-250IDI
It wasn't today but I added some new cab lights to the cab and put in a new windshield. Almost ready to go.

How much did the windshield cost you ? did u install ?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM
88/90f-250IDI
Freshman User
Cost me 170 installed. I don't know where you are located, but the company I used was NOVOUS glass. They did a great job. I am from southern Indiana but I think that the glass company is nationwide. Not positive tho.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Arps 6.9
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
hook up the bat to the trailer tow charge wire in the junction box so she charges while driving/running.
I'm not sure you will be impressed with that setup, depending on how much you use your hydro unit. On our Liebrecht Tile Cart at work, it uses an elect/hydro unit and charges off of the 2013 Super Duty and it will die within an hour even with charge, it gets used for probably 5 minutes out of that hour, it keeps up if you charge it every other night or so but the truck cannot maintain it by itself.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Arps 6.9
I'm not sure you will be impressed with that setup, depending on how much you use your hydro unit. On our Liebrecht Tile Cart at work, it uses an elect/hydro unit and charges off of the 2013 Super Duty and it will die within an hour even with charge, it gets used for probably 5 minutes out of that hour, it keeps up if you charge it every other night or so but the truck cannot maintain it by itself.
you ain't wrong.it was nowhere enough.fortunately i hadn't yet ran the wire to my dump pump (cus i would have used 1 awg if i had.) so while working the crane,during lunch i ran over to napa and had them make me up two lines.12' 2/0 to the dump pump and 15' 2/0 from there (i might have the lengths backwards now i can't recall) back to the battery box for the auto crane and future lift gate.
with the truck running,iv now got all (if not most/more than needed anyway) of the 130a 3g alt to the rear battery.that cured all electrical issues.
the next day i had them make me up a 8" 2/0 to hook in the 150a breaker i got so the entire run will be protected.i was gunna run the rear wire but iv come down sick pretty hard now.i'll have her all set to go soon and then iv got to fix the hydraulics of the crane cus she isn't working right yet.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:24 PM
geniusloerts
Senior User
Did my bumper mod today

Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I fired a battery in it, turned the key on for 30 seconds and let the e-pump do it's thing, hit the glows for 10 seconds, and fired it up; Hadn't ran in 14 months.
Loaded it on my trailer and drug it home from where it's been parked for the last 4 years. Runs awesome, needs a body...

Old 09-19-2014, 03:36 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fixed busted pass front shock mount

What the title says. Was in our local town for some stuff, went over a rough railroad crossing and started hearing this tinny noise. Pulled into a gas station got out and looked all over underneath, thinking exhaust, driveline, or something like that. Didn't look at the front corners lol then driving home over dips in the road and such, man the front pass corner really was wallowing up and down, something's not right here! got back to the shop, sure enough, the shock mount had broken off the frame, leaving just a bit of metal bolted to the frame. Shock was rubbing merrily against the tire ( fortunately hadn't spun on me, gouging the mount into the tire lol) and had the paint nicely wore off of it. Some PO apparently had had it welded before, as there was old welds evident on the mount. Unbolted everything and welded a 1/4 plate to the back of the mount. Shot it w black paint and bolted it all up, better than new. Sneaked a glance at the driver side and it appears to be "factory original" will keep an eye on that deal. Gotta love running a welding shop lol

Excuse the epistle

Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I hit the speed limiter. I believe I approached 80mph. The motor was roaring, but didn't feel like it was overly stressed. The truck felt surprisingly solid. I'm sure I would've died if something went wrong with the front end., but other than that, meh.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 PM
V AZARIAH V
Freshman User

Got new transmission cooler lines bent out by a shop today. $75... Not bad considering the guy at the shop, that my son took his truck to, said that the transmission was blown because it wouldn't go in gear.

Maybe he should have checked the fluid level first. The transmission was 1.5 gallons low on trans fluid.

Also picked up 4 gallons of coolant, 4 gallons of distilled water, 2 pints of SCA, thermostat, fuel filter, transmission filter and gasket, and some Diesel Kleen... can anyone guess what I'm doing this weekend?

Old 10-04-2014, 09:11 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
chip truck;

replaced the replacement t-case.it's internal pump wasn't any good either.
got her lined up again.i took it to a shop who lined it up locally with a poor reputation when i put new tires on it.bad mistake! she was pulling hard instantly and i was too busy to get it into the good shop.i finally got to yesterday and they corrected it for me and i rotated the tires.she's running perfect! nice and true like new.note to self; stick to the reputable local big truck shop no matter how busy i get and how convenient it may be getting in somewhere else.ugg.
flushing the rear diff.only 20k miles on the amzoil but it's already smelling and looking pretty bad.i wont use their oil (my engine drank it like beer) nor their gear lube again.im sticking with mobil 1.

log truck;
tinkering with the auto crane.trying to replace the gear that makes it spin left/right.looks as if your supposed to pull the whole upper crane off to access it and pull it with a gear puller.im trying to cheat and pry it up off.it's working,but it's a slow process.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Discussed selling the old red truck with the wife.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 AM
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
Discussed selling the old red truck with the wife.
Maybe you could split 'em up and keep the truck? I better keep quiet now, if my wife sees this I'll be in trouble!

Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
On my new truck I did a couple things the past few days. I cleaned up/reassembled the driver's side front caliper (it has been sticking a little, I hope that fixes it). The rear brake on that side was hanging a bit too, turns out the parking brake cable wasn't releasing all the way. Replaced the cable and put it all back together. Rainy weather yesterday, so I couldn't really tell if its all better. Will have to monitor it the next few drives and see if its better. Also replaced the door jamb switch as that stopped working a few months back.

Also did some troubleshooting on the brake controller on my old truck. It seemed to be working back to the junction box, so must be the trailer plug socket right? Open it up and low and behold, water had leaked it and completely corroded that one connection away. I'm really getting sick of fixing trailer plugs... Have replaced it at least twice on this truck. Before I put one on my new truck I'll have to figure out a better way to protect it from snow banks and nasty road salt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your IDI today?