What did you do to your IDI today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 AM
ozdatman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removed these

Found this

I was amazed at the dirt and moss under those strips. Definite rust trap.
Kinda glad its not the poo brown any more.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM
geniusloerts
Senior User
Originally Posted by ozdatman

I was amazed at the dirt and moss under those strips. Definite rust trap.
Kinda glad its not the poo brown any more.
You don't even have to replace the strips, they are painted on.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got some new 10" subs to replace the no name units I have been using and I replaced my old boost gague a new autometer C2 series boost gaguge to match my pyrometer.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:12 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loaded up my Miller Trailblazer 302 and went off to do battle lol. Actually an easy one this time. A farmer customer of mine had broken the link that folds the wing on a single-fold chisel. Didn't actually have to lay on my back it the dirt to fix; it was nice and easy to get to right on top of the unit. 140 amps with a 1/8" 7018 rod. Looks like a MIG weld lol.

Oh yeah, this is about IDI's isn't it??? Haha my truck is doing great. Seems to pull just as well with the welder on the back as without. EGT's and boost are the same as well. Doing 75 on the interstate causes plenty of heat soak into the cab tho. Need insulation and wrapped/coated exhaust I guess. Oh well.....

Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 AM
SEH43
Senior User
All I've done w/my truck is use the tailgate as a work bench to rebuild a small chipper. It's the only place i could find since my garage is so full of crap there's no place left to work.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 PM
shorerider16
Senior User
Going to be doing a 3G alternator swap, new battery cables and 2 new batteries tomorrow. Something took a dump yesterday that ended in a very dead truck and one battery blowing up, I'm tired of messing with cheap voltage regulators and crappy alternators.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:42 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
chip truck;

replaced rear brake shoes.
the dually rear axle i bought used had fair shoes on it.the time has come though when they wore out.i had new ones on hand for the past year (3.5" wide DRW pickup version.) so i didn't need to run out or order them.replaced the pass side brake cable too.i don't use the e-brake much so the cables always dry up and stop working long before i get much use out of them lol.i should get in the habit of using the brake once a day or so to keep them from freezing up.
wash and vac.she's all ready for another week of commercial work duty.she's been doing well recently.for over a year now,no more need to feed her parts.just normal maintenance items.loving it.pure profit money maker now.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:41 PM
shorerider16
Senior User
Did the 3G swap along with all new battery cables and two new batteries. What a difference, the truck cranks over way faster and takes way less cranking to start.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:16 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
that's a must do upgrade for all pre '92.5 idi trucks imho shorerider.good call.

log truck;

going to take her out tomorrow to load her up with 4' wood.so i drove her around the block to make sure all is good......it wasn't lol.
so the drivers side front caliper froze up when i bought the truck,so i replaced that one.during the couple mile or two pre-warm up test drive (cus this truck has been sitting for i don't even know how long.a couple years anyway) and about 1 mile in she started pulling hard to the right.went the other mile back home and sure enough the pass side caliper was sticking.brakes started smoking.
so just replaced that one.she should be all set to go.taking her out about 1 hr 15 mins one way tomorrow (her 3rd work day) wish me luck.
the two rear calipers seem to be doing ok.........for now.

went to test the dump bed to see why she's not dumping.checked level and run a jumper cable from chip truck to her dump motor to make sure she was getting full amps (po ran way too small of a wire for it) so i had to tap the motor like you do a starter motor when it's on it's way out.so she's just tired.so i'll order a nice unit like the one i have on chip truck for her.another e-over hydro.then i'll run a nice heavy gauge out back.
i think i'll run 1 AWG like i did for chip to the dump motor and for the lift gate & auto crane,i think i'll set a devoted battery back there for them rather than run a long 3 AWG all the way along the truck,cus this is one long ars truck and that would be pricey.hook up the bat to the trailer tow charge wire in the junction box so she charges while driving/running.

still waiting for the local shop to set me up with the lift gate and auto crane install.about ready to call it quits and take 'em somewhere else.getting ridiculous waiting on them this long.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Darrell Thompson
Junior User
kla94 and FORDF250HDXLT
Do you think engine Vibration will effect any part of the pump or its connector ? I just received my and looking for a good trouble free space to mount.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:23 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrell Thompson
kla94 and FORDF250HDXLT
Do you think engine Vibration will effect any part of the pump or its connector ? I just received my and looking for a good trouble free space to mount.
Are you talking about the carrier e-pump? If so, it shouldn't be a problem with rubber lines. Just be sure to use the proper sealant on the fittings!

Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
that's a must do upgrade for all pre '92.5 idi trucks imho shorerider.good call.

log truck;

going to take her out tomorrow to load her up with 4' wood.so i drove her around the block to make sure all is good......it wasn't lol.
so the drivers side front caliper froze up when i bought the truck,so i replaced that one.during the couple mile or two pre-warm up test drive (cus this truck has been sitting for i don't even know how long.a couple years anyway) and about 1 mile in she started pulling hard to the right.went the other mile back home and sure enough the pass side caliper was sticking.brakes started smoking.
so just replaced that one.she should be all set to go.taking her out about 1 hr 15 mins one way tomorrow (her 3rd work day) wish me luck.
the two rear calipers seem to be doing ok.........for now.

went to test the dump bed to see why she's not dumping.checked level and run a jumper cable from chip truck to her dump motor to make sure she was getting full amps (po ran way too small of a wire for it) so i had to tap the motor like you do a starter motor when it's on it's way out.so she's just tired.so i'll order a nice unit like the one i have on chip truck for her.another e-over hydro.then i'll run a nice heavy gauge out back.
i think i'll run 1 AWG like i did for chip to the dump motor and for the lift gate & auto crane,i think i'll set a devoted battery back there for them rather than run a long 3 AWG all the way along the truck,cus this is one long ars truck and that would be pricey.hook up the bat to the trailer tow charge wire in the junction box so she charges while driving/running.

still waiting for the local shop to set me up with the lift gate and auto crane install.about ready to call it quits and take 'em somewhere else.getting ridiculous waiting on them this long.
Good luck man. You have two of my favorite trucks on this forum. Only way they could be better would be ZF5's and 4X4 on log truck.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Darrell Thompson
kla94 and FORDF250HDXLT
i too am going to assume your talking about the duralift electric fuel pump.if so,then no.it's solid state so vibration won't effect it.

Originally Posted by sherwin johnson
Good luck man. You have two of my favorite trucks on this forum. Only way they could be better would be ZF5's and 4X4 on log truck.
thanks.she did great! i loaded that 8' W x 16' L bed completely with wood and she hauled it just like it was made for it lol.

no zf5's for me.id be bored without a blinking od light.
nah serious note,if log truck was a manual,id still have bought it.wouldn't have preferred it but id run a manual trans truck occasionally...........if i had too.
i too wish she was 4wd though.i had chip truck working along side her today because if she got stuck i could get her out.she spun like a bugger but did make it out on her own.....barley and the sad part; it was just grass haha!
when loading i had it 3/4 full i had to back up,up hill to get closer to some more wood,and man.i loath not having at least a t-case for 4 lo.as i figured this 2wd is for the birds.i haven't run a 2wd truck since my early 20's.i learned my lesson back then but these f-450's only come 2wd...ah well.she is what she is,and isn't what she isn't lol.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:46 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
no zf5's for me.id be bored without a blinking od light.
Hey well at least you'd have the excitement of trying to get it reverse lol. Have had my trans rebuilt twice (once under warranty) and you still kinda gotta hold your tongue right to shift into reverse....
Yeah tho it would be nice not to have to build boost again after shifting. But still....I'm just the type that thinks a diesel needs a manual

Old 08-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Darrell Thompson
Junior User
I built a mount for my e pump.

Coppied the design from someone on here.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your IDI today?