Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What did you do to your IDI today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:40 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
What did you do to your IDI today?

So I know people are always tinkering with, cleaning, purchasing parts for........their IDI's. So here is a thread that you can post what you did from washing it to pulling the drive line. Here is what I did about a week ago:

Finally got a little time to address a couple of fuel system issues I had. Replaced my tank selector valve and installed a couple of inline fuel filter prior to the valve (one for each tank). I failed to do this when I fixed my senders/pickups and it resulted in a ruined valve. I had also noticed I was leaking fuel from the fuel heater. Took it apart and replaced the 0-ring which seems to have solved the problem.

Nothing big, just happy that it all went as planned and I don't think I broke anything else in the process for once.

Next up is a coolant and trans flush along with a new thermostat and trans cooler.

Last edited by jayro88; 10-08-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Change threat title
Old 10-03-2013, 06:56 PM
ozdatman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We need a "What have you done to your truck today " threads in the idi section.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ozdatman
I second that!!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM
F100DREAM
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have quite a lengthy one but no one really responded to it, hehe

Hi Guys...it's been several months. I bought the 1993 Ford F350 Dually November 2012 and thought I should catch you up on where I am now. If anyone remembers some the of the issues I had back then, the following repairs will explain some of the fixes:

Rebuilt injection pump; new throttle position sensor; new fuel return lines, t's and o-rings; new glow plugs; new tensioner, idler pulley and serpentine belt; new fuel pump; new batteries, new windshield wiper motor; new hood hinges; new hood latch; new master brake cylinder, brake booster and brake lines; new ball joints; new brake calipers; new inner and outer front wheel bearings; new rotors; new front brake pads, new front shocks.

New drive shaft u-joints; new carrier bearing.

New rear brakes, drums, and cylinders; new rear axle bearings (one new hub bolt, rascal broke); new rear shocks, new front fuel tank with extremely expensive new sending unit (rear tank awaiting an inexpensive sending unit before
installation); 2.5" to 4" exhaust from the mainfolds back (Rock Auto).

Oh yeah...changed the oil (Rotella 15W-30), fuel filter (wix), and coolant (fleet charge).

OK, I think that's all...my pockets hurt, my head hurts, and my back hurts. I am only making this information public in case someone has the same issues as me and has to find parts in expensively, I can give them some help. The truck rides good, sounds good, and has fairly good fuel mileage (around 15mpg if I don't act like it's a car). Thanks for taking the time and a special thanks to Vic Felix!!!

I do have a question: where can I find cab corners and door rails for the 1993 Ford F-350, time for body work?

Doc

update: I found the cab corners, got them and they are almost perfect, anyone need to know where I got this stuff just ask?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by F100DREAM
2.5" to 4" exhaust from the mainfolds back (Rock Auto).

The truck rides good, sounds good, and has fairly good fuel mileage (around 15mpg if I don't act like it's a car).
?
That's pretty good mileage for a F350 dually. O/D trans?

Was the exhaust a kit at Rock Auto? I have a new 3.5" muffler for when I finally get my exhaust redone.....2.5" y-pipe off the manifold to 3.5" single.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Fordidipower
Senior User
Yesterday I bought a bed off a 95 powerstroke, the drive shaft with carrier bearing and rear view mirrors off a 90. So my truck is coming together pretty good.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 AM
F100DREAM
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayro88
That's pretty good mileage for a F350 dually. O/D trans?

Was the exhaust a kit at Rock Auto? I have a new 3.5" muffler for when I finally get my exhaust redone.....2.5" y-pipe off the manifold to 3.5" single.
Yes it has O/D and the kit did come from Rock Auto, bolted right up.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 PM
TheOtherStyle
Junior User
Today I pulled a door panel off to see what I've got to work with for my audio install. Right now planning on old school audio to go with an old school truck. 10" MTX Road Thunder TWO sub, pair of 8" Crunch Performance Plus Series midbasses, 90's Polk Audio 4" speakers, currently eyeballing a Kicker Impulse crossover and a pair of old Rockford Fosgate amps.

Going to put the midbasses where the stock speakers go, not sure how I'm going to mount the 4" speakers yet. Might even do away with them and go for some 3" tweeters instead.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ozdatman
idi engine,or idi truck.it's all good lol.

a little wax and chrome polishing.

Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2013, 05:14 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F100DREAM
2.5" to 4" exhaust from the mainfolds back (Rock Auto).
I checked and that's actually the Dynomax exhaust system, dynomax is a division of walker exhaust. how do you like it?

Things I've done to mine in the last month

Put leds in the gauges, K&N air filter, oil change with TSC traveller 15w40 CI-4 oil, new floor mats, siliconed the wooden speaker boxes solid I have behind the seat so they don't rattle like heck, wire brushed, primed and painted the received hitch, ordered some 2 in boss tweeters, wash, waxed, and armoralled the truck and repaired the trailer wiring harness.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by TheOtherStyle
Today I pulled a door panel off to see what I've got to work with for my audio install. Right now planning on old school audio to go with an old school truck. 10" MTX Road Thunder TWO sub, pair of 8" Crunch Performance Plus Series midbasses, 90's Polk Audio 4" speakers, currently eyeballing a Kicker Impulse crossover and a pair of old Rockford Fosgate amps.

Going to put the midbasses where the stock speakers go, not sure how I'm going to mount the 4" speakers yet. Might even do away with them and go for some 3" tweeters instead.
When you said old school audio I was thinnking about the tape deck in mine that was the "Premium Audio" package in 1988

Old 10-08-2013, 06:37 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Truck pissed me off somethin' fierce for the last time the other day and i sold it today.

J/K LOL

Seriously.... this Sunday i hope to take the compressor housing off my turbo and seal up the boost leak i have. Not sure how much it is hurting the performance, but i know darn well that it is not helping lol.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Pulled the front grill and started trying to figure out how I am going to make my 6.0L Trans cooler fit. Thinking I am going to have to massage a little sheet metal here and there.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:45 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
your gonna half to install a thermostat for the trans fluid if you are going to run the massive 6.0l cooler. i run the tru-cool max cooler that is i think a little less than half the size of the 6.0 cooler and in the fall/winter my trans would NEVER warm up above like 120-130*F.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well last Sunday I spent 4 hours in a forest in 4 wheeler trails with my van, trails weren't to bad, but van got some air a couple times, then I went teared up abit a plowed field

I have to say, the look on some 4 wheelers faces made my day! I must of made their day to, seeing an old cargo van flying through quad trails

This pic is when I first went in the forest, not dirty yet

Other than that, I don't do much to my IDI's that i'm driving. Top up the oil every 4-5 days, and detail the interior every month or so maybe, that's about it.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your IDI today?