Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What did you do to your IDI today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 PM
TheOtherStyle
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayro88
When you said old school audio I was thinnking about the tape deck in mine that was the "Premium Audio" package in 1988
When I pulled the panels, I found that my truck DID originally have the premium sound. Or at least thats what the stickers on the original speakers says. One in my drivers door is still 100% intact, no rot or anything. Gotta check the passenger side. Might be putting them up for sale real soon here. I do need to find or make a couple brackets though. I don't have the original radio, so I don't have the brackets that screw to the dash, only the plastic slider for the top rail.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:03 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by '94IDITurbo7.3
your gonna half to install a thermostat for the trans fluid if you are going to run the massive 6.0l cooler. i run the tru-cool max cooler that is i think a little less than half the size of the 6.0 cooler and in the fall/winter my trans would NEVER warm up above like 120-130*F.
I have one sitting on the shelf next to the cooler. Got the cooler to make sure the trans is happy pulling a 30' Travel Trailer. Could be overkill, but I got a good deal on it and figured I would be good for anything the van could handle with it.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 PM
'87F-2504X4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't do it today, but in July had the truck repainted and a spray in liner done. Last month replaced the thermostat, power steering bracket, A/C evaporator, accumulator, and orifice. New belts and new batteries.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:56 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Not today, but technically I still need to finish it up. I've been using it now though!

I de-IDIed my IDI (but not with a cummins!)

You CAN fit a DT360 in these old girls, but it's a tight squeeze!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
got out of work early today and decided it would be a great time to rip the turbo apart and try to fix my boost leak. the tear down went good. gonna stop by a turbo shop tomorrow to see if they have the o-ring i need. After taking the housing off i am shocked that it was making the boost that it was.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 PM
SEH43
Senior User
Didn't do a thing today. Have to wait another week for my new driveway to cure before I can get the truck into the garage to try to get the stuck gp , or gp's, out. If successful w/that, stert down the rest of the list. I'd not...

Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 AM
ozdatman
Senior User
Originally Posted by swooshcmk
Not today, but technically I still need to finish it up. I've been using it now though!

I de-IDIed my IDI (but not with a cummins!)

You CAN fit a DT360 in these old girls, but it's a tight squeeze!
Any pics of the engine bay?

Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Drove the kids to school this morning. Smiled because it was a pretty chilly morning and it fired off immediately....even though the cold idle advance isn't functional.

Happy about this since when it was purchased a year ago anything below 50* would require cycling the GP a number of times and some extended cranking to get it to start. Once it got below freezing it was terrible to get it started if it hadn't been plugged in. New fueling system made a huge difference!!

Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
F100Dream, I would really like to see a video of your truck with that exhaust on it -- I'm seriously interested in getting one myself.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Busy weekend but I snapped a few quick. I still need to add some electric fans for the radiator so it doesn't heat up when standing still. Then I also have to add in my intercooler. I picked up a 7.3 Powerstroke cooler with the aluminum tanks, so I just need to take apart the front end and plumb it in. I've also got a bunch of 3" tubing to run it too.

The gear driven power steering pump works awesome, and it's a great combination with the hydroboost brakes. 3.5" mandrel bent down pipe - just enough room to sneak that puppy in! There's about 3/4" clearance between the nose of the waterpump and the radiator (just enough to slide a V-belt in) and about 1/2 to 3/4" clearance at the back of the cab. The turbo is close to the heater core box but I've towed just over 20k GCVW with the gooseneck and it's not been an issue. I'm running an E4OD and transfer case I sourced from Oreocreaming a few years back, and I'm running a US Shift One computer to operate it. It's got a transgo HD Tugger 2 shift kit in it to boot. I'm running stock settings on the injection pump so I'm not winding it out quite as fast as the IDI was spinning, and I haven't turned up the fuel any yet. I figured I'd get a good dependable base to start from before I turn it up.

Aside from the intercooler I have to install yet, I need to look into swapping out my steering column. The E4OD is setup for a cable shift, but I have the rod shift style column yet. I haven't found out if I can switch in a cable shift column or if the mount points underneath are different between the cable and rod shift columns. If I can't switch columns I'll have to build a bracket to operate the cable from my rod style column. Then lastly I need to make a bracket to move my transfer case shift lever forward so it lines up with the hole in my cab floor. The transmission and transfer case had to be shifted back about 4" total to fit the engine in.

http://www.airplanesathome.com/FTEpics/Engine.jpg

http://www.airplanesathome.com/FTEpics/Turbo.jpg

They're full-size images so I linked to them instead of inserting them.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:10 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
man,that thing is tight swooshcmk.how do you keep it cool? need to just keep driving.don't get stuck in traffic and cook 'er.
can you fit some e-fans down low on the radiator?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Zagg77
Junior User
Last weekend and PT this weekend I did shocks, GPs, air intake with the 6637 and PVC, replaced taillights (PO "smoked" them), cleaned Diff. breather, silicone sealed the rear outside cab light (leaking), ripped out backseat and liner to dry (from cab light leak) fixed front power door lock actuators, cleaned CDR can, greased her up... working on rear door lock act., U joint, 4x4/ac vac. leak....

Old 10-14-2013, 04:08 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
It runs cooler while driving and towing than the IDI ran. Even towing the 20k gross combined weight it ran plenty cool. Direct comparison because I'm using the same gauges and senders as I ran in the IDI. I just can't sit and idle around very long until I get the e-fans in it. There is room to put some electric fans on it, I just need to pick some up and install them. I just wanted to make sure I had my air conditioning system plumbed in and working before I put the fans in so I know I won't have any clearance issues. I was looking at using the fans from the Windstar, but they're built into a shroud and that would be an issue with the nose of the water pump sitting so close up there (The shaft sticks ahead of the pulley a bit, I've thought about just lopping that nose of the shaft off to give myself some room!). Looking around I think I'm going to try some fans from a Grand Prix as they're a larger diameter fan yet and a good sized motor on it, but they're a shroudless fan design. I towed my 7k lb travel trailer in 90 degree weather w/o a fan and the a/c on and it stayed plenty cool, so I know I just need the fans for standing still.

Overall I'm quite happy with it! I've been driving it since July, I just need to pull it in the shop and finish up those last few items now. I'll probably be doing that soon though as I'll have to get my plow stuff mounted on it some time in the next month or so.

Bonus picture: When assembling it I used one of the cheap Spectra adapters from the local parts store since it was the right size and most people looked at me all confused when i asked "Can I get this, but in silicone?". It lasted about 50 miles and blew out at ~ 18 psi. She instantly rolled coal like crazy. My wife was behind me (I was towing the 30 foot travel trailer) and she said it looked like I had a tire on fire she said. As soon as I heard the "Ka-PPPSSSSHHHHHH" (sounded like a damn 12 gauge under the hood lol) I looked at the boost gauge, saw it drop off, looked at the exhaust and saw the instant black cloud. Glanced at the EGT and it spiked to just shy of 1,600 (electronic so it reacts fast), so I kicked off the OD so I could run 3rd and with the torque converter locked and had to drop to 45mph to keep the EGT at bay. Fortunately I was within 2 miles of the destination and we were only 40 miles from home so I ordered the proper silicone boot and it's been working perfect since.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Fordidipower
Senior User
Put a 96 P-stroke bed on my truck along with side mirrors off the same stroke. Now trying to sort wiring. I think basic electrical theory should be taught in public school to people would stop making head aches for the next owner .......

Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 PM
CompressionIgnition
New User
bought/arranged to have it dropped off at house...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your IDI today?