6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Long crank when cold. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 PM
wakeupluis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will try the 10 seconds when i leave work in the A.M. I will also check out the ICP. thanks for all the help.. I really appreciate you guys

Old 10-11-2013, 06:56 AM
wakeupluis
Senior User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
You could try leaving the key in the on position for around 10 seconds before attempting to start it. Another thing you may try is disconnecting the ICP sensor located on the passenger side valve cover, while you have it disconnected make note of any oil in the connector reconnect it and then start it.
I dissconnected the ICP sesor. No oil in it. All it had was some dielectric grease on it. Do I need to pull this sensor and inspect it? I am guessing I need to test the glow plugs next.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeupluis
Ok guys. I parked the truck nose down last night. It still started the same. How can I test to see that my glow plugs are working properly? Or if they are even coming on. thanks for all the help.
IIRC on an 05 if you had glow plug problems you'd get a CEL. You'd also have codes stored.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:12 AM
wakeupluis
Senior User
good to know. I just read to try to start with the ICP disconnected. I did not try that. I just pulled the pig tail and verified not oil in the connector. I will give that a shot when it cools down again.

Its crazy that it only does it when the engine is cold. If I have ran in within the last hour or so. Then it starts up like nothing is wrong. I live in houston so cold isnt frigid temps. Just around 80 to 90 degrees.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you try leaving the key on for 10 to 15 seconds before attempting to start it?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM
wakeupluis
Senior User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Did you try leaving the key on for 10 to 15 seconds before attempting to start it?
Yes i tried that. Plus i tried cycling the key 3 times before starting also. Still long crank.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM
woodlander
Senior User
Any updates? I am having a similar issue and if I remember right it started right after I changed fuel filters.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM
wakeupluis
Senior User
Update as of yesterday. Not holding my breath but i changed the oil and fuel filters. I always use racor or morocraft ordered from deiselsite. I also always use rotella T6. Well it has cranked right up like nothing is wrong. I noticed the fuel filter on the frame rail was extra dark in places. I hope this was the problem. I will repost my findings after a few more days. To be sure.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 PM
wakeupluis
Senior User
Ok I have been busy but the new filters and oil did NOT fix my problem. Still takes too long to crank. I did get Auto Enginuity for my birthday. I have yet to load it on my laptop. I am going to load it soon and see what I can find. I am still leaning towards possible glow plugs. I did add a plug for my block heater. So I am going to plug it in tomorrow see if that does anything for it. I am still thinking glow plugs. No codes from my torque app but maybe the AE will find something. Thanks for all the guidence...

Old 01-03-2014, 06:57 AM
wakeupluis
Senior User
ok Guys UPDATE...
I have come to conclusion that the trucks cranks right up within 2 seconds everytime I park with the nose up. What would cause this? So if I am on flat ground its hit or miss. If it is nose up even just slightly it cranks right up. Even in the Mid to low 30degrees temp outside.

So to recap.
FICM volts are Great
I run Rotella T6. Oil level is on the high side of the dipstick but in range
Tried the Hair dryer on the FICM to warm it up "no difference"
I installed a fuel pressure guage and the fuel pressure is great
It only happens when the truck has been sitting for 4 plus hours
I tried plugging in the block heater. "made no difference"
I have brand new Platinum DieHard batteries
Outside temp has nothing to do with the long crank
Long crank varies from 5 to 8 seconds
Truck runs great when started. No missing, no lack of power
I have AE I have done contribution test. Everything looks great
I have not done an air pressure test. Maybe this will tell me something?

So I am guessing something is draining out of the high pressure oil system and when I park it nose up that keeps it from draining? Maybe a dummy plug? I am hoping someone else has had the same issue. I read of similiar issues being cam position sensor? Sounds far fetched in my case. I do not have any codes that pop up on AE either. Thanks

Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
ok Guys UPDATE...
I have come to conclusion that the trucks cranks right up within 2 seconds everytime I park with the nose up. What would cause this? So if I am on flat ground its hit or miss. If it is nose up even just slightly it cranks right up. Even in the Mid to low 30degrees temp outside.

So to recap.
FICM volts are Great

So I am guessing something is draining out of the high pressure oil system and when I park it nose up that keeps it from draining? Maybe a dummy plug? I am hoping someone else has had the same issue. I read of similiar issues being cam position sensor? Sounds far fetched in my case. I do not have any codes that pop up on AE either. Thanks
Typically parking nose up lets the pump drain out the shaft end so I think you can rule out the pump. Sounds like you do have an HPO leak possibly in the pick up or one of the rails. An air test is in order.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
ok Guys UPDATE...

So to recap.
FICM volts are Great

Usually if parking nose down improves the starting times it points to the HPOP having bad seals allowing the HPO reservoir to drain back to the crank case through the HPOP. Not sure what parking nose up would improve. What are your ICPV's at KOEO and after the truck is up to operating temp ( 185-190* ) what is the IPR% at idle and 2500 RPM. During the long crank have you monitored the ICP pressure and does it start as soon as the ICP reaches 500 PSI?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 AM
wakeupluis
Senior User
I have monitored the pressure when cranking. I have a hard time seeing it. Seems as if it builds pressure slow then bam all of the sudden its cranked and over 500psi.
The IPR at idle is around
23% @190 degrees engine temp at 692rpms
25.9% @190 Degrees engine temp at 702rpms

I have not tried at 2500rpm. I will try that soon and see what I get. Those numbers are off my torque app. I just did some screen shots in the past.

It is just crazy to me to think that parking nose up makes it start right up. Almost seems like I am draining something in the High pressure oil

I have to look at the ICPV's I have not monitored that. Do you know if I can get that off the torque Pro app or do I need to use my AE? I do not see it on my torque Pro list.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
I have monitored the pressure when cranking. I have a hard time seeing it. Seems as if it builds pressure slow then bam all of the sudden its cranked and over 500psi.
The IPR at idle is around
23% @190 degrees engine temp at 692rpms
25.9% @190 Degrees engine temp at 702rpms

I have not tried at 2500rpm. I will try that soon and see what I get. Those numbers are off my torque app. I just did some screen shots in the past.

It is just crazy to me to think that parking nose up makes it start right up. Almost seems like I am draining something in the High pressure oil

I have to look at the ICPV's I have not monitored that. Do you know if I can get that off the torque Pro app or do I need to use my AE? I do not see it on my torque Pro list.
For trouble shooting I would exclusively use the AE, my curiosity was if it was taking a long time to hit the 500 PSI or if it was still cranking past the 500 like something else was preventing it from starting.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
wakeupluis
Senior User
I have never seen it past 500 and not started. It seems to build slow then cranks up and shoots past 500. So my guess is it fires up right at 500. I tried pulling the pig tail off the ICP sensor but it did not make a difference still slow to crank. It seems to me that its a pressure thing. But I could be wrong. I was thinking maybe my oil filter was draining into the block. but I pulled the filter the other day and it seems saturated and once I put it back in. It actually cranked right up even after the oil filter had drained out. So I dont know if that would even make much of a difference it was draining with a bad valve in there. Thanks for all the advice by the way....

Quick Reply: Long crank when cold. What to look for?