1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel bowl leak, what sensor is this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel bowl leak, what sensor is this?

Well what I initially thought was an oil pan gasket leak has actually turned out to be a fuel leak. Thanks to the help of several of your responses to my previous thread, I was able to track the leak down to a sensor on the driver's side of the fuel bowl.

I'm not sure what sensor it is, so I took a picture of it in hopes you all could point me in the right direction. The offending sensor is the one in the center of the pic with the red wire running out of it. The fuel is leaking out the boot and dripping off this wire and down into the abyss of the valley to eventually find it's way down the back of the motor and out of the bell housing inspection plate on the trans.

What sensor is this and how much work am I looking at to remove it and install a new one? It looks simple enough, but possibly a pain to get to. Is this something I could grab from Napa and do they typically keep it in stock? I'm hoping it's a quick and easy fix since I'm supposed to be heading out for a camping trip tomorrow afternoon.

Also, Is there any problem with hosing the top of the engine down with engine degreaser to clean this mess up once the new sensor is installed? Any particular electronics I should cover first?

Thanks much!

Old 10-03-2013, 01:40 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
go to diesel o-rings and get a fuel bowl rebuild kit... Also get the 3 blue lines too.

it will take you an afternoon to pull it, rebuild it, and put it back.

richard

edt: cost you $85 and you are good for another 100k miles ( http://dieselorings.com)

links (do t forget the clamps and upgrades)

http://www.dieselorings.com/6-031-fu...kit-96-97.html
http://www.dieselorings.com/6-002-94...-bowl-kit.html
http://www.dieselorings.com/6-019-fu...pper-hose.html
http://www.dieselorings.com/6-018-fu...p-hoses-2.html

Old 10-03-2013, 02:03 AM
Cubawashere
Elder User
that sensor is a Fuel Filter Restriction sensor.... they are prone to leaks.... aprrox $40

Old 10-03-2013, 02:43 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
OK so I have to ask, just what is the Fuel Filter Restriction sensor function?
Do we really need it?
How does it tell you that the filter is restricted?

Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cubawashere
that sensor is a Fuel Filter Restriction sensor.... they are prone to leaks.... aprrox $40
I believe the one described with the red wire is the fuel filter heater. But I agree it is usually the Fuel Filter Restriction sensor that leaks. It is the left of center sensor (in the picture) that screws in.

Originally Posted by richdawg
OK so I have to ask, just what is the Fuel Filter Restriction sensor function?
Do we really need it?
How does it tell you that the filter is restricted?
A vacuum is created in the fuel bowl if the filter is restricted. Some call it the Fuel Filter Vacuum sensor.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
go to diesel o-rings and get a fuel bowl rebuild kit... Also get the 3 blue lines too.

it will take you an afternoon to pull it, rebuild it, and put it back.

richard

edt: cost you $85 and you are good for another 100k miles ( DieselOrings)

links (do t forget the clamps and upgrades)

Fuel Bowl Regulator Filter Repair Kit
Complete Fuel Bowl Reseal Kit for the 1994.5 - 1997 Ford 7.3L Diesel filter canister.
OEM Fuel Hose Replacement High Temp Factory Replacement hose
OEM Fuel Hose Replacement High Temp Factory Replacement hose
Thanks for the links Richard; I'll definitely be ordering up these parts to do a complete rebuild!

To get back on the road today without donating a bunch of diesel to the ground, it looks like I'm going to have to replace that sensor. Is the consensus that it's the fuel bowl heater thermostat and not the fuel restriction sensor? I've read the fuel restriction sensor can be pulled and capped with a plug, however it looks like the thermostat uses an o-ring and can't be bypassed quite as easily, right?

I guess I'll just head out and start tearing into it so I can run to Napa as soon as they open this morning.

Thanks again guys!

Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If it's the one with the FLAT single terminal, that's the connector for the fuel filter heater as said; it's not a sensor. And it's the heater itself, inside the bowl, not a thermostat. The restriction sensor is in the far left edge of the pic. The sensor only serves to light up the "FUEL FILTER" light on the dash. No interface with the PCM, so technically you can remove it and plug the hole. A lot of guys also decommission or remove the heater, since today's fuels are much less likely to gel. You have to remove the heater from inside the bowl, though.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 AM
disco biscuit
Senior User
I replaced mine with all the heater parts but getting that terminal, which I think is the heater connection you describe, it was a PIA to seal off. I ended up sealing mine in the hole with jb weld when I rebuilt it. Best thing I ever did. ^^^..other post talked about deleting it which is the best option if you consider your needs. The deletes I seen were pipe plugs fitted to go in the holes. Seemed legit...I just rebuilt the hole thing and jb welded it....cause I'm from Texas. I woulda used black duct tape but I didn't feel like redoing it.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:00 AM
Cubawashere
Elder User
@Disco could have used chewing gum too... lol SMH

How long ago did you JB weld it? In my experiences any kind of fuel or oil eats through it eventually.

I would have used short bolt or maybe a set screw. I can imagine how big of a PIA it was to do. The newer housings have the heater already deleted from what I understand -I haven't had the fun of needing to replace one yet ^_^