1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking going HID

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 PM
kbx
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to check out Brightsource hid's. I have them in 2 of my superdutys, and would never run anything else.
I have a 20" rigid led and duallys on the truck, but after putting in the hid's I never use them anymore.
These have a definate cut off like factory lights, hands down the best I have ever seen.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:47 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kbx
You need to check out Brightsource hid's. I have them in 2 of my superdutys, and would never run anything else.
I have a 20" rigid led and duallys on the truck, but after putting in the hid's I never use them anymore.
These have a definate cut off like factory lights, hands down the best I have ever seen.
Do you have pics of the output? I checked out the site but couldn't find any videos or pictures of them installed in cars. you peaked my interest in these lol.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:50 PM
kbx
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Do you have pics of the output? I checked out the site but couldn't find any videos or pictures of them installed in cars. you peaked my interest in these lol.

Sorry I do not, but believe me they are incredible.

The 20" dual row LED used to be on all the time on the back roads and lonely highway, now it has dust on it.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Is it just a regular HID aftermarket kit with no projector? Also you said it has a cut off if there is no projector is that even possible? Any idea where to find anything about the output on them? Only reason I'm asking is because i was going to do a retrofit eventually but this seems to be less invasive and provide the same results.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:19 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi,

This project has been placed on the back burner and will be slated for mid 2014. I have been very busy at work. This in turn generates a better than normal income for my family. Which means I can get these pesky things called bills paid off quicker. With that said the truck might be paid off by the end of the 2014 if not sooner. After what I just went though in the last two years, if I got let's say $1000 for a project on the truck, I got a $1000 to pay off the truck sooner.

This coming spring my wife's vehicle will be replace. I will be doing a happy dance as the throne in my garage has been a 02 Grand Am that has been acting up since June. If we had not purchased the truck this year, she would have gotten a newer used ride or new. If you are wondering, a Fusion or MKZ MY 2010-current. She likes both and enjoyed driving the MKZ during our truck buying experience.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
I still need to do a write up for mine. I finally got mine finished and they are great. Il slap a link on here to mine when i get it on here.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I'm still interested in those bright source HID's and how they have a cut off line without a projector. Any pics of them at night by chance? or installed and what they look like?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:36 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Bringing this post back from the depths of FTE! Things have been going well over the past couple of months. I have some freed up cash now that bills have been taken care of. Unfortunately, my friend has not been doing well and is in the process of close up shop. He said he is closing a bunch of his accounts and helped his guy get a job elsewhere. He is bummed out that he could not get his business off the ground. However he feels relieved to be making some money again for working another person. He recommended if I wanted to burn money I could get the cool looking housings. Otherwise recommended that I can get away with replacing the bulbs with stock housings. He said they will look good and save a few bucks.

As for Bulb kit replacements out there. Anyone have any recommendations on which one? I know Kensun is all over Amazon. For the $100 for the head lights and about another $100 for the fogs, I guess it is not as bad as I thought before. They seem to rate fairly well. However, if there is a better product out there, I am willing to listen. Also I notice the pricing is all over for the headlights as in $100-150 range

As for the light color, 5000K was going to be the target number. I was not going much higher than 6000K if anything. I would probably use the 35 watt replacements in the fog light department with same color output 5000K.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Looking forward to seeing what I will need for this project. I can swing a few bucks for upgrades to make a bit more light on the road

Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Number21
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as legality is concerned, if you do a quality job and aim them right you shouldn't have to worry. Nobody is ever going to check your headlights unless they are causing a problem. Nobody should ever use higher than 6000k bulbs, they are illegal everywhere, and it is totally easy to spot. They are also unsafe for other drivers. You might as well leave your brights turned on full time with a sign that says "PULL ME OVER!".

The law in Oregon states any lights that are "blueish" are illegal. No color temperature listed, it's left vague so even the slightest hint of blue will cost you. Most other states are similar.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:47 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

I got some jingle in my pocket. After looking around, I am looking at LED headlights bulb replacements. In a couple of the days I will pull the trigger and order a set of bulbs for the truck. The post will be updated with some results, install, etc. etc. etc.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Bigredtruk
New User
I immediately put a HID Xenon DC Headlight "Slim" Conversion Kit by SDX, H13 Dual-Beam Bi-Xenon, 5000K set on my 2014 - glad I did it before I put on the Ranch Hand Legend Series Grill Guard. Kit makes it real easy. $49.99 Amazon Prime.
Very happy with the 5000K color.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Finally installed...

Hi!

Tonight I went to work on the project that I tried to start 3 times over the weekend. Here is my results.

Equipment. I decided to go with the HIDs as the reviews on the LEDs I was looking at seemed to have a questionable outcome to what I was trying to achieve.

Kensun 5000K 35Watt 9008/ H13
Kensun 5000K 35 Watt 9145/ H10

These kits were plug and play for the most part. The biggest gripe I had was the length of the relay harness for the lights was too short in a Super Duty's engine compartment. The ground wires had to be lengthened for proper grounding which were factory grounding points. The mounting of the ballasts were not as bad as I planned for. I probably should have used a wide double sided tape for that portion as it would have chopped about an hour off the install.

Here is the stock lamps before picture in my "service center" of a work area.

This is how I mounted the ballasts for the head lights and the fog lights. The ballast location matches the location of the bulb. Fog is on the bottom. Headlight is on top. This is the passager side. Driver side looks pretty much the same thing.

The relay harness went in pretty well. It was about a foot shorter than how I would have liked it to be. However I made it work.

Now for what everyone reading this mindless dribble is really waiting for. The after pictures!

First impressions....

I was amazed by the amount of light these bulbs put out. My road test only consisted of driving around the block. I turned on the Fogs and they really had no further impact on added light. The headlights seem to do all the work. Plus no need for the hi beams. I found the low beams worked perfectly for the darkness of the area. I will need to perform a night time road test and see if I get flashed or not.

As for the 5000K bulbs. I honestly thought they were going to be a bit whiter. They look closer to 6000K bulb. I will see how much I like them if I want to purchase a set of 4300K bulbs. I am not into the blue light the 6000K and higher give off. However, I did walk about 50 feet away from the truck to see what the output was like if I was on coming driver. It didn't seem that back in lo beam. However a night time road test will test that theory.

That's all for now. i will update after some further testing is done and confirmed.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Bigredtruk
New User
Nice work and great pics. I think that was my biggest gripe - too stingy on the length of wires.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Update....

I got a few opportunities to drive the truck at night with the lights installed. What a difference. The amount of light on the road is really nice to have. The color is not as annoying as I thought it was going to be. I have yet to have the need to run with high beams on in the darker no traffic areas. Even the fogs don't come on either. There is no need to. I would like to see how well they light up in rain or any other precip.

As for on coming drivers, I have not gotten flashed at. However, this being New Jersey, drivers may be use to an HID bulb coming at you that don't notice as much. However, since I am running close to 4300K light output it might not be as annoying. Who knows.

This is has to be on the best upgrades I have done. I wished I did this sooner. It was worth the coin and time spent for the project.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:37 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I bought the brightsource kit as well and installed them in my 2012 factory housings. Incredible light output from hell, BUT the first vehicle I passed flashed me, then another and another. I lowered my adjusters as low as they would go and was still getting high beamed by oncoming drivers, even semi trucks! I had to disconnect them. There is NO cutoff in the 2011 and up ford factory light assemblies. They sure do light up the road though.

Quick Reply: Thinking going HID