1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's AFR Meter Mounting - Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Dad's AFR Meter Mounting - Help

Guys - I need your creative juices and constructive criticism in how to mount the new AFR meter on Dad's truck - when the time comes. Granted it isn't yet time, but I'd like to get some discussion going. So, please see the question at the very bottom. Help!

As some of you know, I purchased AEM's wideband AFR gauge and am in the process of mounting it on Rusty to test it out and maybe tune Rusty a bit. But the mounting of the gauge on Rusty has gotten me to thinking about a permanent mounting on Dad's truck. So I purchased this mounting cup:

As I started to mount it on Rusty today I could see that it sits kinda high and partially blocks the view of the tach - which Rusty doesn't have but Dad's does. Here's what it looks like when mounted on top of the plastic trim piece that covers the steering column:

But, it looks like it could be mounted directly to the steering column by placing it under the ignition switch link, as shown below. But, it could also be mounted by tack-welding a pair of L-brackets to the column either side of the ignition link, which I like better.

If that were done the cup could be mounted 1/2" lower and almost touching the trim piece. This shot shows using the bracket that came with it, but L-brackets could position it at any height:

I think I'd like the look that would come by tacking L-brackets to the column as it could be very clean-looking without the bracket on top of the plastic trim piece and no hose clamp. However, I haven't figured out how to get the trim piece back on once the gauge is mounted. Thoughts, please?!

Old 08-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't have any ideas, yet. But, I will be thinking long and hard on this, as I would like to add a boost guage in that same location. Of course, my manual trans column is also tilt, so that adds another possible issue to take into account.

What I wish, is that there was an aftermarket column cover with a gauge pod molded in. This kind of thing does exist for 94-2001 (or maybe even newer) Dodge trucks, and it makes a great way to add a gauge (of the desired type) right where a person would want one......

That said, I will be looking to see what I can find that might be able to be modded and fit there. I'll let you know if I find something.

Reason I want boost gauge there, I have driven semi's in the past, and could get 6-7 MPG out of a loaded (78-80K gross) truck with a Cummins "Big Cam 350" by watching the boost level and tach. 10-15 PSI boost, depending on RPM, was more than enough to make decent power without wasting extra fuel.
I was getting that kind of MPG in the late 80's/early 90's, without the help of a computerized injection system. Newer trucks are barely able to match it, much less top it, even with all the computerized aids........ Granted, the fuel is a little different now.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I think you figured it out. Don't mount the pod(s) to the column, but glue the pod(s) to the cover. It doesn't really need to be mounted to L-brackets, although it does need the hoop around it as the pod is actually split and the hoop tightens it so it captures the gauge itself. But, if we had two slots in the trim piece just large enough to take the legs of the hoop we could slip a 1/4-20 screw through the legs and tighten down enough to capture the gauge.

Or, you could use this if you wanted two gauges:

Old 08-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Mounting 2 gauges would set them off to the sides a bit, allowing for an even more unobstructed view of the tach. But, would they be partly hidden by the wheel? Dunno. Interesting concept though.......

Is that mounting cup metal, or plastic?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Metal. The whole thing is well made.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
And, if it is done just right I think the wiring can be routed into the trim piece.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
And, if it is done just right I think the wiring can be routed into the trim piece.
Wiring yes, but I kinda doubt I could get the plastic line for a boost gauge tucked away that neatly......

Old 08-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
This thing has two sets of wiring and a vacuum hose, so tucking them away might be even harder than yours. But, I'll probably try it on Dad's, but not on Rusty.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about canting it by rotating the piece to the left (outboard) side of the column enough so your view is uninstructed? With the design of the factory wheel, it looks like you should still have a clear view that way.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That can easily be done and would make running the wiring and hose easier. I'm in the middle of hooking it all up on Rusty so may try that.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Like this, Critter? It works but isn't centered and that'll bother me. And the hose clamps look ghetto. So, on Dad's I'll try mounting it to the trim piece. But, this is good enough for Rusty. He gave up caring long ago.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:52 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Like this, Critter? It works but isn't centered and that'll bother me. And the hose clamps look ghetto. So, on Dad's I'll try mounting it to the trim piece. But, this is good enough for Rusty. He gave up caring long ago.

That's what I was thinking. Except make sure the gauge is vertical. Vehicles are naturally asymmetrical anyway. Pillar mounts are harder anyway on these trucks.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I agree the gauge should be vertical. I was just testing it out to see if that's pretty well what you were thinking.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I keep forgetting that Rusty is shifting for himself now.....
Putting the gauge on the column, in the center, would totally block the gear indicator. Granted, I drove my truck for ~15 years with the indicator showing it was in reverse 100% of the time, so I know this isn't a "vital" part of the cluster.

Aside from the missing tach, his cluster/bezel looks quite a bit like the one in my truck. It used to be woodgrain, some time in the distant past......

Quick Reply: Dad's AFR Meter Mounting - Help