Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 PM
New User

rpolar is starting off with a positive reputation.
Leveling out a new F250 6.2

Recently upgraded from my 2011 f150 5.0 to a F250 6.2, Love the new truck but I usually like a little rake and this one doesn't have any, actually after measuring I am .5" higher in the front than the rear, truck is a Platinum CC 156" 4wd. Recently hauled a moose & gear home from hunting camp (estimated 1300# payload) and it was sagging pretty good in the rear, did not measure but I would say an extra 1.5" sag. I am considering maybe adding a rear leaf or possibly air bags and open to recommendations. I should note I rarely tow over 9k, typically will be in the range of 6-8k...I know this has been discussed on the forums but cannot find much definitive information. Also curious about roughness of the ride between any of the options.
Thanks, rpolar
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 AM
Junior User

Dave HM is starting off with a positive reputation.
polar, ya know I happened to notice that the other day as I looked at mine sitting outside the garage. it is a 2WD crew cab short box.

I guess i am different but i like the no rake set up.

As far as leveling out with a load, there are several approaches. Since i wanted mine to set level when empty, I chose the air bag option. I never noticed a difference in ride unloaded and the bags deflated. We head out in the winter with a medium to large fifth wheel camper (11.5K range) and i like to ride level when hooked up. So i opted for air bags. That fell right into my needs and desires.

I guess I could get the empty "effect" you mentioned when empty, but never had an interest in that.

Hopefully someone will chime in on the ride comparison when empty and the rear raised.

Come to think of it, I it seems that pickups ride mostly level now a days when empty.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Junior User

goingnorth is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://www.supersprings.com/Applicat...~)rev_1012.jpg

This is what I added to mine it was level from the factory but after adding cap and tools it sagged a little. This spring clamps down the factory overloads if you have them, the one I have has only one spring but there is one with two springs if you need more lift or don't have the overloads.

It lifted my truck 1 inch plus when hitched up to my TT it doesn't drop much at all. The ride is fine for me, my truck came with 5400# springs not the 6000# springs some people get. I also used them on my F150 and it made a real big difference there.

I went with this instead of lift blocks, it only took 30 min to install and will fit many different trucks if you ever trade in.
Sold 99.5 F250 sc lb 3.73ls 4x4 100k
08 Ecape Manual XLS 29MPG
09 Keystone Passport 290BH My Passport Mods.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 AM
New User

JDN250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought the blocks and ubolts from an F-350 with the Fx4 package. They're 2" taller than the 250's I was always under the impresion that the Fx4 package was only the skid plates and the Rancho shocks. So was my dealer, until we sent the first set of blocks and ubolts back because they were the same size. Rides level with the 11,000# boat on it now.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 PM
New User

Thanks for the replies, The supersprings may be what i'm looking for, reason I was thinking going a extra spring and air bags was to keep a slight rake while not loaded and also being able to use the airbags when loaded. Considering my hauling weight is not very heavy I will try the supersprings and see what it does w/o airbags and go from there.

Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Junior User

The instructions for mine were off on the location of the E-brake cable on the drivers side, I added a small piece of rubber hose to help protect in a spot that will rub. I also didn't put the shackle over the factory spring I put it right behind it. I called them and there are slight differences between the 2011 and the 2013's.

Here is some pics of mine I took while installing, you can see where the cable rubs, I put a hose over it after the pic.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/w...184125_322.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/w...184002_192.jpg

The shackle does not hit the spring stop, I thought it might, I hit some RR tracks hard and then checked and no marks, I have towed about 1500 miles with 900# tongue wt and bed full of stuff with no issues.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
New User

Thanks goingnorth, that will be very helpful
Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
SPONSOR

Torklift Sheryl has a good reputation on FTE.Torklift Sheryl has a good reputation on FTE.
I want to pass on some info to help with the rear end sag your are referring to with the F250.
We have tested the StableLoad suspension product here on FTE.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...d-install.html
It has addressed the sag issue with great results.
It has the flexibility to easily engage and disengage in seconds and you will experience significantly better driveablilty by beefing up the leaf spring system that already exists.

Check it out. StableLoad - Lowest Cost, Most Effective Suspension Upgrade Available
This is a great alternative to expensive airbags and other suspension upgrades.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 AM
New User

The stableloads also look legit...I am basically just looking to get the truck a slight rake while unloaded which needs to raise up the back end at least 1 if not 2 inches...what is the difference between the stableload and supersprings as far as load stability goes? I guess at the same time I would like to maintain at least a level ride while loaded so if they both do the same thing I would go with the cheaper route. In AK I am limited in options and asked the guy that does most of my truck work and he said he can get the tuff country add a leafs for my truck, I would like to hear any good/bad on those if anyone has any experience with them. I will also ask him about the other options as I have no personal experience with any of them at all. Thanks for all the replies and also for making this decision a hard one. Will try and post a couple pics of the truck.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Junior User

All you need for the super spring install is a couple c-clamps, the stable loads looks even easier, but I think they are for someone who wants unloaded to remain the same and just more support with a slide in camper or bed full of bricks.
I hated the ride with air bags on my f150 and went with supersprings and was happy. I would not go with an add a leaf as I believe that would be to stiff, and not adjustable. The superspring shackle has a couple different bolt height optinons to add more tention if needed.

Do you have the factory overloads that are on top of the spring pack?
I would also change your shocks to bilstiens or rancho rs9000's if you do anything to stiffen up the rear.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Junior User

Dave HM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy Mackeral (or should i say King Salmon)

I bet it won't take long for the complecion of that beast being black to change when the winter crapola gets on the road there.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:17 PM
New User

That was more or less my impression of the stableloads but was not sure. Superspring it is, will order some soon and give a report back when installed. Yeah Dave when the snow hits it's hard to keep the black looking nice, it was black or white and the wife chose this one.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:34 PM
New User

Well after talking with a good friend of mine who owns a truck supply shop up here he talked me into putting a set of air bags on so I got the firestones and he installed them for me, they keep it level with 10 psi and the ride is good, put about 30-40 psi in it and a wd hitch for the 8k trailer I pull and it keeps the truck level. Anyway what he noticed while hooking up the airbags was it was tight getting under the back driver side wheel well, but the passenger side had plenty of room to get in and take a peek, he then measured it from a level ground in a shop and both wheel wells front and back are 1" higher on the passenger side, measured wheel wells, top of tire, both front/back bumper corners to the ground and this thing tilts to her port side by 1". I understand you could argue the airbags causing some of this but he didn't catch it until they were already hooked up (he bled off and disconnected lines to ensure they was no air in them for the measurements). It measured out almost excactly 1" higher on the passenger side front and back, and 1" lower on drivers side front and back. Is there a "margin for error" that Ford uses for this? I haven't contacted the dealer yet but I am planning on it. Does anyone else have issues with this?

Thanks,
Zach
Old 12-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Junior User

Front and back on mine is 1/2" diff side to side, I think it was the passenger side that was higher. Mine stays consistant loaded or unloaded weight distributing on or off. I lurked on some other forums on this issue before and it seams most are within an 1" side to side for other brands. My 08 F350 was a little over 1.5" diff. My F150 was exact side to side.
When I ordered my current truck I told the dealer I would not accept the truck if it was out worse than 3/4".
Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 PM
New User

Interesting, same thing here as it doesn't matter loaded or not it is 1" off, I have never measured any of my other vehicles before so I wasn't sure what the tolerances were. I can learn to live with it. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8