1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

TS performance 6 position chip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:29 PM
FF34
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TS performance 6 position chip?

Hey guys my name's Ben, just joined a couple days ago.

Does anybody use this chip? And if so does it work good, or is there something better out there? I'm looking to chip my 96 with a 7.3 powerstroke, but I have no idea what to get.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
If its basically stock it will work. some custom tunes may be better but its far superior to edge...don't make that mistake.

also welcome aboard as well....how bout some pics of your rig??!!??!!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 PM
FF34
Junior User
I'm trying to get pics on but I am very computer illiterate so its a little difficult haha

Old 09-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Brettboat
Senior User
I have one in my truck but I've never ran it past 80HP because I don't have an EGT or trans temp gauge and I'm fearful to run it without proper equipment to monitor everything. Plus I got stock exhaust and I'm sure those EGTs would be VERY high.

I can tell a difference, smokes a alot more and gives it a little more get up and go. But I've only ran it a few times, I keep her mainly on stock tune.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:27 PM
FF34
Junior User
What other positions did you get with yours? And I already have a 4" exhaust and a large air intake, but I do need to get a monitor for the egts and stuff. I like this one because I live in AK so the high idle would be nice in winter and I also pull loads a lot so horsepower is a big thing I'm looking for.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Brettboat
Senior User
Stock
high idle
75ish
140?

IDK, something like that. Why would you want a diesel in Alaska? Sounds impossible to start in the winter.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:43 PM
FF34
Junior User
Those are the positions I'm looking at. I just plug it in and I'm down by the peninsula so it doesn't get more than -20 here, and that's a rarity winter just goes on for ever here haha. its really not as bad as people think up here. That includes me by the way I'm not trying to be nasty, I came up from TN and thought I was gonna have to live in an igloo!!

Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM
FF34
Junior User
OK those are the same ones I was looking at. And no I just keep it plugged in winter. There's a lot of diesel owners up here actually,

Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Brettboat
Senior User
-20 lol. I bitch and moan when it's 20 above lol

Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FF34
Hey guys my name's Ben, just joined a couple days ago.

Does anybody use this chip? And if so does it work good, or is there something better out there? I'm looking to chip my 96 with a 7.3 powerstroke, but I have no idea what to get.
Welcome to FTE!

The TS chip is what we all use in these trucks. If you don't have any mods like bigger injectors, hpop, turbo, etc., you will see a little difference in performance in the lowest HP setting on the chip. If you do have any of those mods, I suggest getting custom tunes on it based on what mods you have. Stick around here and all these guys will help you get it figured out and running great!

Old 09-29-2013, 07:37 PM
FF34
Junior User
This is really going to show my ignorance but what does hpop stand for? And I have a garret turbo, but standard injectors. Also I'm not sure what you mean by getting custom tunes on it. I didn't know you get anything custom besides the 9 settings that they list for you to choose from.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Sorry, HPOP is high pressure oil pump. The injectors are run off of high pressure oil, so if you get bigger injectors you need to upgrade th HPOP. When you buy a TS chip it has what we called canned tunes. These are ok for trucks that just have an intake and exhaust. But with everything else being stock, you will only see a small gain in HP on the lower settings on the chip. For instance, if you get a chip that has a 140 HP setting, you will never see that kind of horse power on a stock truck. The stock 90cc injectors can't support that kind of horse power. As far as custom tunes, if you do bigger injectors and HPOP, and upgrade the turbo and any of the other power mods, then the best thing to do is send the chip to a good tuner and have custom tunes put on it based on your set up to get the maximun HP, and drivability out of the truck with the mods you have. It is also based on what you do with the truck whether it be daily drive it, tow with it, or drag race it. There are so many variations of mods and set up you can do to these trucks, canned tunes just can't cover them all with just a basic 40hp, 60hp, 100hp, or whatever tune.

Man, that was kinda long-winded! LOL! Hope I explained it so you can understand it

Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 PM
FF34
Junior User
Ok that makes sense. Is there a way to tell whether I have the stock injectors or not? I know this truck has had a lot of stuff done to it I just don't know what it all is. I know it has a garret turbo, a 4" exhaust and a large cold air intake...anything else I should check that relates to chips?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FF34
Ok that makes sense. Is there a way to tell whether I have the stock injectors or not? I know this truck has had a lot of stuff done to it I just don't know what it all is. I know it has a garret turbo, a 4" exhaust and a large cold air intake...anything else I should check that relates to chips?
The Garret turbo is stock, that's what came on them. If you have bigger injectors and no chip, it would probably blow a lot of black smoke when you get on it. If not, they're probably just stock injectors. Honestly, before I got a chip to put in it, I would get some gauges first. Especially a pyrometer to monitor the EGTs (exhaust gas temps). Even just putting a chip in with stock injector can put the EGTs up a little high, so you'll want to be able to watch that. What kind of intake do you have as far as the filter?

Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 PM
FF34
Junior User
Shows how much I know! haha I'm not sure about the air intake. I was told it was a bigger one than came stock, that it was part of the upgrading but its from Ford so I really don't know. But it doesn't blow black smoke or anything so it probably has stock injectors. Maybe I should get someone to look at it before I spend money on a chip that ain't gonna do nothing...

Quick Reply: TS performance 6 position chip?