maintenance free transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maintenance free transmission questions

Hello everyone,

I have a 1999 Izusu Amigo with the 3.2L engine and automatic transmission. I have the manual and it says that the transmission is sealed and needs to be maintained at the dealer. When I first bought the truck for my daughter about a year ago I took it to a local mechanic shop and they flushed the transmission, changed the filter and filled it back up for me.
The truck has been sitting in the garage for the last 4 months under a cover. (I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and my daughter has been away at her mothers house leaving the car sit) My wife said there is a puddle od transmission fluid pooling under the truck. She said the leak is coming from between the transmission and engine mounting point. She helped me put the engine in the truck so she knows.
When I come home in a month, How do I check the transmission fluid since there is no dip stick? How do I add fluid if it is low? Do you think the transmission shaft seal would be bad or do you think the torque converter could be bad?
Thanks for any help.
Otto

Old 09-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
It could be the shaft seal. It could be the torque converter hub seal. It could be a crack in any number of places.

What I think happened is that after sitting that long the torque converter drained back into the pan. That overfilled it and it found a place to run out. If it were started and allowed to run for 10 minutes once a month this probably wouldn't happen.

Here is how check the level: Let me google that for you.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:11 AM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mark, That is good info, didn't know the torque converter would drain out like that. I have a month left here and will service it and be able to check it out with my own eyes at that time. Just trying to get prepared for what to look for or might encounter.
The wife and I have 4 vehicles and this one was left sitting as my daughter isn't home and my diesel battery is dead. I hate leaving for extended periods of time as the vehicles just sit and something always seems to happen to them. I definitely think this will be my last trip.
Thanks for the help.
Otto