Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Junior User

alienbogey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yellowstone Trip Report with Glow Plug Fun

My wife and I are back from our Yellowstone trip. Despite my efforts to have all preventive maintenance done and have spare parts in hand we did have truck trouble. First, I'm going to inflict a vacation picture on you - here's our rig at the Roosevelt Gate of the Northwest entrance:

(From now on, keep in mind that I'm not a wrench.)

So, our first morning at Yellowstone the truck wouldn't start. Crank, crank, crank, nothing. I'm sitting there thinking about it, and I notice white fog coming from the right rear. Aha, I'm pumping fuel through the engine, so it must be ignition. Weak glow plug heating?

I cycle the key several times through the Wait to Start light on-to-off process, and the truck fires right up. Great, we're good, I have a workaround, and we press on the mission.

For the rest of the week that's the routine. Once the engine is warm it starts without hesitation, which happens a lot with all the Yellowstone sights that we're pulling over and shutting down for. Each morning I have to cycle the glow plugs anywhere from 3X-6X before it will light off. I'm not completely comfortable about the future, but I don't want to drive clear out of the park for a fix if I don't have to.

Wrong, I will have to.

One more picture, from the fateful morning:

I took this picture on the way back from the bathroom, and 2 minutes later tried to start the truck. Three hours later it still wasn't starting.

My key cycling didn't work no matter how much I did it. I knew it was cold glow plugs, and I knew this was the coldest morning we'd yet had, although I doubt it got below 30 that night.

We did everything we could think of to warm the engine: I started our portable generator and ran the exhaust under the engine compartment, we boiled water in all our pots and pans and put them under and on the engine, and my wife took a hair dryer under there and pointed it upwards.

I tried to light our lantern because it would have been a great heat source, but it chose that morning to fail, like the truck, for the first time in 12 years. (If it's not one thing it's another. )

I can't tell you how many times 1 or 2 cylinders would catch, but then nothing. In the middle of the ordeal I called the Park's tow service and the guy said I was doing everything he would try, and all he would be able to do was tow us if we couldn't get it going.

Finally, after 3+ hours, with some sun hitting the engine compartment and the batteries beginning to lose their enthusiasm for the job, it just barely fired on enough cylinders to run and get them all going.

So, we broke camp and drove out of the park to West Yellowstone where the nice lady said they couldn't get parts until the next day, and her best Ford tech was getting a root canal.

Off we went to Bozeman, where Ford sold us a new glow plug relay and told us they were booked 10 days out. He called around, and found a local guy who would do the install and test the circuits and plugs.

Yes, I could have installed the GPR myself, but he warned me that if there were other problems I could fry the new relay, and I wanted everything tested.

We drove to Rick's Automotive where Rick himself was kind enough to drop everything to run circuit tests, install the GPR, and test again. The truck was fixed and we hit the road.

At that point we were over a hundred miles out of the park in the direction of home, we'd had a week to see most things, so we headed home.

Didn't mean to make a short story long, but I hope that it might help someone.

Yes, I bought TWO glow plug relays, and now have a spare in the cab.
2001 F-350 Crew Cab long box, 7.3L auto, 3.73, 4x4 ESOF, Amsoil Dual Bypass Oil Filters, Westach dual gauges (boost/egt, tran temp/oil temp, oil press/ammeter), Firestone air bags, Tork Lift camper tie-downs, Superhitch and Stable-Loads, Rancho 9000's, Warn front receiver hitch, Jordan brake controller, Cobra 75 WX XT CB radio, Ford AIS intake, Hutch mod, Harpoon mod, CCV mod, Hydra chip/PHP tunes, AIH delete.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Lost in the class of AE

scotttahoe has a great reputation on FTE.scotttahoe has a great reputation on FTE.scotttahoe has a great reputation on FTE.scotttahoe has a great reputation on FTE.
Thats usually the sign of a bad glow plug relay. Easy job to do. They tend to go out every couple years. The only thing that I can help you with is the next time this is happening plug in the block heater. If your out camping use the generator to plug it in or if at home plug it in to your outlet. No need for hair dryers and boiling water in a pot under the truck, won't work.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Lost in the class of AE

scotttahoe has a great reputation on FTE.scotttahoe has a great reputation on FTE.scotttahoe has a great reputation on FTE.scotttahoe has a great reputation on FTE.
Also, takes about 1-3 hrs for the block heater to worm up.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Junior User

No block heater.

Believe me, I was wishing I had one.

It's on the list now - what's a ballpark for kit & install?
2001 F-350 Crew Cab long box, 7.3L auto, 3.73, 4x4 ESOF, Amsoil Dual Bypass Oil Filters, Westach dual gauges (boost/egt, tran temp/oil temp, oil press/ammeter), Firestone air bags, Tork Lift camper tie-downs, Superhitch and Stable-Loads, Rancho 9000's, Warn front receiver hitch, Jordan brake controller, Cobra 75 WX XT CB radio, Ford AIS intake, Hutch mod, Harpoon mod, CCV mod, Hydra chip/PHP tunes, AIH delete.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Lost in the class of AE

Not sure off the top of my head, just a guess about $100-$150 if you do it yourself. Give me some time to look up a couple for you. I'm rapping up a 2007 mirror swap with the heated mirrors and running lights. If you want you could start with a google search.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
No block heater.

Believe me, I was wishing I had one.

It's on the list now - what's a ballpark for kit & install?
I think all trucks came with a block heater....was yours removed? The plug can be found tucked away behind the front bumper. The heater itself gets installed just above the oil filter.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
I think all trucks came with a block heater....was yours removed? The plug can be found tucked away behind the front bumper. The heater itself gets installed just above the oil filter.
I just went out and checked - no block heater, and the owner's manual says "(If installed)" with reference to it.

Man, if I'd found out I had a block heater after 12 years of owning the truck and not knowing about it you'd have heard my scream from wherever you live.

Edit: Yes, I should have google-fu'd first rather than just asking in a post. I found a block heater on eBay with 1500W and a strong sales pitch for about $95 shipped. ( Ford 7 3 L Diesel Powerstroke 1500W Super Powerful Engine Block Heater F 250 350 | eBay)

Looks simple enough for even me to install - does it go in a freeze plug in the block, then just route the plug someplace handy?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Looks simple enough for even me to install - does it go in a freeze plug in the block, then just route the plug someplace handy?
No, it screws into the port just above the oil filter. Are you saying your truck's oil cooler doesn't have a place for the block heater?

Click this link and look at post #6
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90...-location.html

Technically speaking....the device is actually a coolant heater but the effect is the same as a block heater.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Lost in the class of AE

Rather have you post first then to google sometimes its easier to ask then check later to know exactly what to look for.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
If you don't mind a few sparks....

When your GPR goes inop you can "jump" it by grabbing ONLY the two largest terminals on the relay with a pair of pliers and holding them in place for no more than 120 seconds.

If you're worried about "shock", wear gloves (even though the possibility is pretty remote with a purely resistive load).

It might have gotten you started more promptly.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Senior User

TXdoug has a good reputation on FTE.TXdoug has a good reputation on FTE.TXdoug has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post

When your GPR goes inop you can "jump" it by grabbing ONLY the two largest terminals on the relay with a pair of pliers and holding them in place for no more than 120 seconds.

If you're worried about "shock", wear gloves (even though the possibility is pretty remote with a purely resistive load).

Pop
Indeed this works and a swap over to the AIH relay will work in a pinch. Could have saved some frustration.

01 PSD, CC, LWB, DRW, 373's, 6WD, Autometer Ford Factory Match Gauges, AIH delete, bling bling dipstick, GPR LED, H&H Tank mods, 50 cent, galooons of fluids and lots of O rings.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Posting Guru

carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post

Pop

Jumper cables work for this too if you carry them

Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
I just went out and checked - no block heater, and the owner's manual says "(If installed)" with reference to it.

I found a block heater on eBay with 1500W and a strong sales pitch for about $95 shipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
No, it screws into the port just above the oil filter. Are you saying your truck's oil cooler doesn't have a place for the block heater?

Click this link and look at post #6
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90...-location.html

Please, please, please....before you buy that, do like Greg said and make sure you don't have one. They are easy to miss if you're not sure what to look for.

Click that link, scroll down to post 6, then crawl under your truck and look for that orange plug/cord.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Posting Guru

MTDewX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MTDewX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I live in Bozeman and I think I have an extra GPR. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Hope the trip was still worth it.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 AM
stinson 108-1

stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Sorry about your trouble. Your truck came with a block heater like the guys above said. If its not there and is plugged, get a new one. A great little, and cheap mod to give you a heads up that the relay is going, is the glow plug relay LED mod. It costs about 10.00 bucks and maybe 1hr of your time. The light comes on for the entire time the relay is activated. No light, or intermitant/flickering light means the relay needs replacing. There are write ups with pictures right here from the FTE members.
99, 7.3, F350 4x4 CC/DRW, Lariat, ordered new, 96,xxx mi. block#961693, JW. trans, DP F-5 live tuned, 8 Performax guages, 650 dash, 6.0 T cooler, AIS, 38R with RR billet wheel, big head, IH bellows, turbo back ss exh, trans & coolant filters, FS 2500 oil bypass filter, RR P-inserts,boots, frx, hpx, Hutch mod., Transferflo 60. gal tank, Air-Lift, Evans coolant.
JIM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 AM