1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04-08 Super Duty Firewall differences (for dash swap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
04-08 Super Duty Firewall differences (for dash swap)

How big of a difference is there between the 99-07 and the newer super duty firewalls? My reason for asking is I have been tossing up swapping over to the 08 dashboard and trying to reuse my 04 cluster for now(ill make it fit and look nice). I was wondering if it would be easy to modify the 08 metal support to fit my 04 firewall or if the firewall is what really needs to be changed. I planned on making the air ducts work buy piecing my old one and new ones together. I have manual A/C controls so i would use 08 manual controls which i personally like better than the auto ones. All the switches i planned on just cutting my current connectors and soldering on the 08 connectors so that they would still function. I'm assuming that the switches function the same just a different look like the 4x4, manual A/C and headlight switch which is all i really have anyway. I have the airbag switch but i never use it so if i lose it no big deal or i can even integrate it somewhere else. Also i have an aftermarket head unit so the radio is no issue to install i will just change the install kit to an 08 one. I have been searching a lot over the past few days and there have been a few people who hae done it but they either switch fire walls because its a wrecked truck or there is no pictures or description available as to what they did.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
bump. I'm curious about this too. I love my X, but she's a bit dated. Would be nothing cooler than updating the dash/steering column to the 08+ style

Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only help I can offer is that I'm pretty sure the front door panels will have to be changed as well.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

all 4 door panels are straight bolt-ons. you have to change the pigtail for the window switches, but mechanically the panel itself bolts right up

Old 09-29-2013, 08:30 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Im already in process of swapping door panels because I've got the 08 power fold/extend mirrors. I agree tylus I love my 04 bit I feel just swapping to an 05 style dash isn't worth it. Plus I've been wanting to black out my interior.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Does the 08+ column bokt up to older trucks? I know the steering wheel alone doesn't but would the entire column itsrlf work?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Sorry for the multiple posts lol but I just bought an 08 steering column and steering wheel for $140 on ebay so ill be trying to fit it eventually. All I need is the column covers and the airbag now which both are fairly cheap on ebay as well.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

keep this thread updated please. I HATE HATE HATE the 99-07 steering wheel. The 08+ style is so much better

Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Tylus
keep this thread updated please. I HATE HATE HATE the 99-07 steering wheel. The 08+ style is so much better
Will do man I haven't been able to find anything so I'm gonna take the plunge myself and figure it all out. Do you have any idea if the metal structure behind the dash is similar or not to the 99-07 trucks?

Old 10-01-2013, 02:31 AM
AllAboutDaZ
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great post i was thinking about doing the same thing before but wasnt sure if it would all bolt in

Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by AllAboutDaZ
great post i was thinking about doing the same thing before but wasnt sure if it would all bolt in
I know its not a direct bolt on but I'm trying to find our if the mounting points are different in the metal frame mounting to the cab or the dash mounting to the metal frame as well. I would like to buy what I need instead of buying the dash pull mine apart and then get stuck lol. S

Steering column has shipped does anyone know where i can find wiring diagrams so i can eventually swap it out and reuse controls? I got a wheel with audio controls even though i don't have it stock i will most likely update my AVH4400BH to have the audio control module and ill tie it into the OEM switches.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:56 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Does anyone have any pictures of the metal frame behind an 08-14 dash or can anyone point me in the right direction? I have been searching all day and the only thing i cant find is the metal frame so i can compare it to a picture of the 99-07 frame to see the differences. Once I see the differences I may start purchasing parts for the dash i found a few fairly cheap.

EDIT: I came across the differences between the two years in pdombrowicki's build thread.

Pics of 08: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-10-ex-31.html
Pics of 04: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-10-ex-36.html

I guess with some modification it will fit, the only thing that concerns me is the heater box or the big assembly (don't know the technical name) in the middle sticks out in the middle of the 08 but slightly off to the side in the 04. If i can get a look at the 08 metal dash structure i bet i could figure it out though. I have a feeling that the 08 metal frame will fir the 04 if i can rig up some mounting points or even if i could get the 08 dash to fit my 04's metal frame.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I got my steering wheel in today! (sorry crappy phone pics) To my surprise it came with the shift and blinker levers and the column cover so that's money i don't have to spend! Does anyone know where i can get wiring write ups or diagrams to swap the columns over? Also can i reuse my current keys in the new column?

does anyone know if i can replace this platic piece or do i need the whole assembly?

Also i contacted white Bear Lake Ford (Tousley ford parts) and asked them if they sell just the frame but unfortunately you need to buy the frame and dash panel. I am waiting on a response form them on the differences between years now and will post up what they say once they get back to me.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:07 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I plan to start installing my 08 Front door panels this weekend, the rear ones (ex cab) don't line up so i will have to modify them to fit but that will be another project. I heard back from Tousley and unfortunately they don't have the dashboards in stock to compare them for me. My plan is to purchase a new frame and plastic shell and then buy all the cosmetic parts on ebay since I will most likely end up painting parts of the dash to work. I am also planning on getting one of the newer floor consoles and replacing my 08 console with it. I am hoping that by getting a new dash and getting all the cosmetic panels i can get this done for cheap compared to buying a complete dash on ebay for $1500+ that's in good shape. Also i am going to try and use 2013+ switches because they have a blue lights which I had planned on eventually switching to anyway. This conversion will most likely not happen until next summer but I will continue to update this as i obtain the parts for this swap.

Tylus I will try and fit the new steering column as soon as possible for your reference. Once i find out how to remove it ill try and do it one weekend because i will continue to use my old column until i am ready for the complete swap.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

looks cool man. do you have a junkyard nearby that will let you pick the parts you need?

eBay is great, but a junkyard might be slightly less frustrating

Quick Reply: 04-08 Super Duty Firewall differences (for dash swap)