1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04-08 Super Duty Firewall differences (for dash swap)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:36 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whaaat I'll have to wait and see what this thing can do!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:52 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
can print a 16x16x16 area if i remember right lol so expect some cool stuff soon

Old 07-20-2015, 07:01 AM
lwarrior1016
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I joined this forums solely because of this thread lol. You have done some very impressive work here man. The outcome so far has been fantastic.

If you don't mind me asking, would it have been easier to keep all of the 04 a/c controls and electrical components? I am looking to do this dash swap on my 99 but I don't want to have it down to long and mine would be simply aesthetics. I don't mind keeping the 99 a/c evaporator and whatnot.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Lol thanks man, you can keep everything I did i didn't change a thing except the dashboard itself. I am getting a little more involved now than I originally planned with the gauges and moving the fuse panel etc however it can be done with less work than i have been putting in. You will need the 05-07 A/C controls though since they fit the 08+ dash however those switches are plug and play no issues.

I will throw in that some of the electrical components if you are doing the door panels as well you have no choice but to rewire them or change connectors because that;s just how they are, however again a lot of the switches can be interchanged like the 4x4 ESOF switch i unscrewed the 04 switch and swapped the 04 faceplate for the 08 one.

Also i am hoping to get back on this in the coming weeks I have finally finished my frame work and now have to just move on to the bed work so i can make room i the garage for the doors to be completely open and me to be able to be leaning in and out, i dont currently have enough room to open wither door completely lol.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:09 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
04-08 Super Duty Firewall differences (for dash swap)

Ok guys I've been super busy this summer between planning for my wedding next summer and traveling for work so every spare moment I have been spending on the truck has been on the motor swap and rear frame work I've been doing. I am currently on my way to California however this is my last planned trip for the calendar year so I am going to do some 3d modeling on some parts I want to print for the dash swap and I'll post them up when I'm done.

For my headlight switches and what not I am going to just leave the dimmer switch unhooked. I checked and they lights stay on what ever setting then we're on when you unplugged the dimmer so I am going to leave it off since I honestly never dim them u less I'm suing with it for fun lol.

The expedition console appears as if it will be easier to install than it originally looked because the 08 console mounts line up with the expedition mounting holes. I will be attempting to mount it once I get home.

Aside from that I will be moving the fuse panel to the glovebox so I will remove the glovebox to fit it in there and do what's necessary to get her fitted in there well. I am going to route all the wires after the fuse panel is done so I can get the proper amount of slack in them so the glovebox can still be opened.

I will also be installing the f650 overhead console into the headliner and reclining it with black suede and installing it.

Once all this is done all I have left is to attach the cluster which I am still undecided about. I thought about a custom console with a scan gauge for an odometer and what not but we will see I guess.

I really want to wrap the dash up so I can check out the electronics then swap in the cummins that way I know the dash was fully functional prior to the motor swap.

List to complete dash before end of October:
- Move Fuse panel to glovebox/expedition console
- lengthen wires for fuse panel
- install name plate and leds
- wire headlight switches
- run camera wires
- install expedition console
- install column
- mount column shroud
- wire cruise buttons
- wire brake shift interlock
- run wires for overhead gauges and switches
- swap headliners
- make mount for blinker relays rather than zip tied to dash frame

Edit: just thought about installing the fuse panel in the exit console in the empty space I will check the fit when I get home on Monday. That will leave the glovebox storage space open and require little modifications to mount it in place.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 AM
smarty39
Junior User
Sooooo happy you bumped this and I didn't have to haha! Still waiting patiently for info on the F150 steering wheel buttons, I would love to put mine in permanently!

Cheers!

Old 09-11-2015, 05:14 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
yeah man i apologize lol been super busy this summer with work and wedding stuff was away for work during the week and doing wedding stuff over the weekends lol. I will try and get them figured out soon for ya.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Gents just a heads up for those of you who are not following my main build thread, my stuff was stolen last week while i was in San Francisco for a business trip so i lost all my 3D printer files that i had made while i was out there and i now need to remake them again. This should not be hard however I will not have time again until later this week because i have school most nights. Should be back up and running in a few days now!

Old 12-28-2015, 03:47 PM
mschilling57
New User
Awesome work

Wow, this has been an amazing write up. I am looking at buying an 02 Powerstroke but I can't stand the stock interior and I've been looking for months for a thread like this, no clue why it took me this long to find this one! Anyways, I have a couple questions if you don't mind. First off, if I have an aftermarket stereo for an 02, will it fit in the slot on the new 08 frame? Also, did you end up using the airbag out of your 04? If so, how did you make that work? I want to make for sure that the airbag will function properly. Also, if I use the 02 style steering column and wheel, will I still need to move the fuse box like you did? Right now I just want to do the basic swap because I don't want to have my pickup down for a long time. Down the road I amy look into a steering wheel swap and gauge cluster swap. If I do it this way without swapping the cluster and steering column, how long do you think that'd take me? I'm fairy mechanically inclined, but some of those pictures with a thousand feet of wire hanging out intimidated me haha. Anyways, I'll probably think of a couple more questions along the way if I follow through with it, but this thread has encouraged me more than any others, thanks!

Old 12-28-2015, 05:54 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
not a problem, i have been extremely busy with the year end at work and traveling a lot so i have not made much progress on the interior but i just wrapped up a lot on it so i should be able to tackle the interior again this coming weekend.

I used my stock passenger airbag which literally bolted the the 08+ dash frame so no issues there and i have not installed the F150 steering wheel airbag yet but it looks as if it is plug and play since it is the same ,model year.

As for the radio it should work all you need to do is get an 08+ install kit because the 99-04 or 05-07 kits will not work with the 08+ dash boards.

i am keeping my column and still am moving the fuse box however i believe in 02 it was not a full fuse box under the dash like mine is.

I would not be intimidated by my wiring i did a lot of additional work like a remote start and added fuse panels.

Please ask questions i hope to start making progress again, i know my past few posts have said that but i got a huge chuck of work done on the truck a few weeks back which should allow me to finally work on the inside again.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:58 PM
mschilling57
New User
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. What stereo did you go with for yours? It looks nice. Also, did you use spacers on the front two brackets or what did you end up doing there? Other than those two, everything bolts right on where the old dash frame did correct?

Old 12-28-2015, 08:18 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I went with a pioneer AVH-5500BH and added a GPS unit to it, personally go big and get an all in one unit it will cost the same and be easier to install in the long run.

If your referring to part of the dash frame that attaches to the firewall i ended up leaving two of then unconnected because they did not add any rigidity to the frame only the plastic cover so i just screwed the cover down and bolted all the parts that lined up in and it worked out perfectly.

Installing the dash was the easiest part lol hardest part was planning out the harness work i did but even that once you figure it out it should be pretty straight forward.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 992 Likes on 762 Posts
Over the last few years I wondered why this thread was so popular.....until I started seeing older superduty's with newer dash setups and 1/3 their former miles.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:20 PM
smarty39
Junior User
Bumping this back up for updates

Any chance you made headway with the F150 steering wheel and its cruise control wiring?

Old 01-29-2016, 03:32 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Not yet man sorry I've been planning a wedding and its been sucking my time on the weekends and my funds lol. Planning to attack the truck this Sunday though with my wife so i should have some update on sunday/monday

Quick Reply: 04-08 Super Duty Firewall differences (for dash swap)