6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Blown Head gasket on my 07

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Rocky Mountain Jeff
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Blown Head gasket on my 07

A little info on my situation. Fired up the 6.0 and as usual fired well and after a short warm up was off down the road. Shut down the engine 3 times and it fired up as usual no issue. Pulled out onto the street and got what sounded as a back fire and then it started to run rough,white/grey smoke and almost died. I kept my foot into it to get it off the road and continued for a few more minutes and it started to clear up but was running rough. Off to ford and by the time I got there it was running smoother. Booked it in and went home. In my world nothing goes as planned due to mother nature we ended up being in a flood and evacuated from our town so the truck never got into Ford for the appointment. I drove the truck for 7 more weeks without any issue. I finally got it in for an oil change and at that time the checked it over and found if I recall correctly a sensor on the exhaust side was failing so this was replaced. It still did not feel right as in not as perky prior to the smoke incident so I started to think maybe fuel, changed my diesel supplier and after a fresh tank, did the fuel filters. A little improvement. Well last week we hooked up the 5th wheel trailer and headed out toward the mountains and all was good but still lacking a little power. Made first 7% pull up the hill and before we got very far into it the clutch fan starts screaming, temp gauge is where it normally is and then we hit the summit and down hill. For the next 80 kms this is the scenario and by this time I am thinking we have a problem. Our last hill before our destination was a 12% pull for close to 1km. We started at 100kmphr and by the time we reached the summit plummeted to 60kmphr and loosing speed and power fast. That is when I got my first smell of anti freeze and said some choice words. Sure enough when we got to the campground the reserve tank was empty. Filled the tank to the mark and drove around for a few days but did notice it was using it and also still purging out the cap. So we limp it back home on a different route get the truck into Ford and yesterday they confirmed that indeed the head gasket had blown. More choice words. I have to go and see them today, what questions can I ask them in regards to what is the procedure to correct the problem. What else should they check etc. Sorry for the short story but more info I guess the better than little.
Thanks in advance....

Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 AM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First problem is that you said "temp gauge is where it normally is..."

That's a mistake to be monitoring the idiot gauges. I wouldn't drive, much less tow with one of these trucks after monitoring the dash gauges. They ware worthless...absolute junk.

If you had monitored using scangauge II, I guess there is a possibility you would have caught EGR Cooler failure and/or an Oil Cooler Failure before the HGs blew. Not that it really helps you at this point, but for anyone reading it, it could save them. If I were you, I would invest in gauges ASAP.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
At this point you are at the mercy of the shop. Hopefully they are good on 6.0 repairs its kind of hit and miss even with a Ford garage. Wether the heads are cracked or not will have a big impact on the final bill. Replacements run around $1,100 (US) each. They will do oil/EGR coolers. I would suggest replacing the STC fitting on the high pressure oil pump while it's apart they will be very close to it during repairs. Also, if you plan on keeping it and towing in the mountains I would ask if they would install head studs instead of the torque to yield bolts that come with the head gaskets. Some will do it and some won't. You'll likely have to take them a set as they are "aftermarket" fasteners. A set from ARP run about $400, but it's well worth the investment. The greater clamping force and resistance to stretching will greatly reduce the chances of popping the headgaskets again.

I agree on the gauges as well. As you found, it's possible to have serious problems with no indication from the factory instrument panel. There are many options for a device that plugs in under the dash with 1 connector and monitors nearly all the sensors on the truck. For example you could know the coolant temp, oil temp, transmission temp, and battery voltage with a ScanGaugeII for about $150. There are smart phone apps, and other OBDII monitors available also.
Good luck with your truck.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 AM
big inch
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a couple of things to add to what Rusty said, I would ask them to clean the turbo and intake while it is apart. Also, I would replace the dummy plugs in the hpop oil rails and install a blue spring kit in the fuel pressure regulator.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Jeff
I have to go and see them today, what questions can I ask them in regards to what is the procedure to correct the problem. What else should they check etc. Sorry for the short story but more info I guess the better than little.
Thanks in advance....
I would ask them what steps they take to correct your problem but more importantly what testing they did to arrive at HGs being blown. I believe that many of the knowledgable guys here have said that there are plenty of misdiagnosis of HG problems when it's only been the EGR Cooler.

If they say they replace the head gaskets and drive it, you may want to find a new shop. I'd let them tell you the steps, don't give them the advice, they'll just say "Yes, we do that...even when they don't". As Rusty pointed out, you could ask them if they do any testing with the heads and/or have them machined and/or checked for flatness. If they say NO, then the only two choices you have is to ask them for your truck to be towed to a place that does this, or you could ask them to call you when they get the heads off and you will take them to have it done? I don't know, I've never been exposed to HGs yet.

Good Luck.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Rocky Mountain Jeff
Mountain Pass
Thank you for your input it all helps. Was at the dealership and after a fair chat with service adviser and the service manager I came out with little.Seems somewhere my adviser was told it was HG but the service manager indicates egr/oil cooler. Now if I understood correctly, They apparently have a TSB that they have to follow, we are at a stage where the oil cooler is to be removed and tested if it fails then they replace it. There was a couple other things they needed to follow before a positive head gasket failure could be given. I get the truck back we do some driving and monitoring of anti freeze consumption. Don't know just yet what my extended warranty will or will not cover so wait and see. On a better note I have ordered a Scangauge ll and will have it early next week and if we get the truck back it will be in it right away.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
I am cautiously optimistic. Sound like they are on the right track to me. Good luck

Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Rocky Mountain Jeff
Mountain Pass
Well for sure it it a blown head gasket. They pulled the egr cooler it is ok but we are installing a new one at my expense,cheap insurance and we are there anyway now. Oil cooler was replaced about 18months back and it is pressure tested and looks good. They also looked at the turbo and tell me it also looks good. There was some codes that indicate some other issues leading up to this. Now the only reason it appears,for this mess seems to be that some how we generated to much turbo boost? something in the system failed and I too should have done more to protect the engine IE proper gauges. So next week they are going to rip it part and replace the HG's and I am having them install the ARP stud kit at my expense with the factory gaskets. Also having them check the heads for warpage.Got my Scangaugell Monday and when we get truck back it will be installed and set up. For what I have invested in this truck in the last 3yrs alone I am sure I could have come close to buying a new F 350. Not saying it is a lemon I've owned it since new and has been very reliable up to the last 3 or so years,but you sure feel like it's squeezing the green right out of the wallet. Expensive lessen here.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 AM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
How many miles are on the truck?

Old 10-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Rocky Mountain Jeff
Mountain Pass
Truck has 106,500 kms or 66,500 miles.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Rocky Mountain Jeff
Mountain Pass
Just wondering about an aftermarket egr cooler any thoughts?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:41 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Yes, that's what everyone recommends. Bulletproof Diesel EGR Cooler, which has round tubes. Lifetime Warranty.

BulletProof EGR Cooler, Square, Ford 6.0L, Lifetime Warranty

Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean the EGR delete? Yes, I would do so, along with purchasing a ScanGauge II.... This is a necessity on 6.0's... and especially if in the future you want to self help.

Sorry to hear about HG, which at less than 100,000miles on ANY vehicle is absolutely gut wrenching. :-(

Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Oil cooler was replaced about 18months back and it is pressure tested and looks good.
I am trying to learn here too, so forgive me for asking any obvious dumb questions, but 'pressure tested' the oil cooler? That doesn't tell you anything about a failed oil cooler as far as I know. The problem is that they get gunk built up inside and don't allow the coolant to flow through, and you end up with high Engine Oil Temp because it's not being cooled. Pressure testing even a severely clogged one will net you nothing.

From everything I have read, the oil cooler causes the EGR cooler problems which then causes the Head Gasket problem. If I am wrong, someone will correct me. But if I am right, I would be replacing the oil cooler along with all the things you mentioned AFTER * AFTER * AFTER * AFTER a proper cooling system flush using Restore AND Restore Plus. At the very minimum you should follow the ford TSB on cooling system flushes and pull the block plugs.

DO NOT... REPEAT.... DO NOT do all this work without flushing the cooling system first. Many have tried, and many have failed. Good luck.

*** edit, just saw where you said the EGR Cooler is ok. Sorry for the lecture... lol

Old 10-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 99ExpyProblems
I am trying to learn here too, so forgive me for asking any obvious dumb questions, but 'pressure tested' the oil cooler? That doesn't tell you anything about a failed oil cooler as far as I know. The problem is that they get gunk built up inside and don't allow the coolant to flow through, and you end up with high Engine Oil Temp because it's not being cooled. Pressure testing even a severely clogged one will net you nothing.
That all does sound logical.... I agree if the cooler "failure" is with a blockage a pressure test won't reveal squat.... Kudos for mentioning! May not apply in this case but well worth for others who may have similar issues.

Quick Reply: Blown Head gasket on my 07