1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Where can I find a brake proportion valve for my 74 F-100?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 PM
David LaPell
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I find a brake proportion valve for my 74 F-100?

My front brakes (both of them) locked up on me the other day, all the hardware was checked and rechecked including new lines, but after a test run where the brakes locked up again, it was traced to a bad proportion valve. Where can I find one for this truck with the 390 V8 and disc front and drum rear (stock brake set up)? LMC doesn't have anything, Summit has a universal one, and none of the local parts or chains carry it calling it a dealer only part. Call the two Ford dealers near by, they never heard of it. The truck is a 74 F-100, surely I am not the only one to have to replace this part. Anyone else might know of one or if you replaced yours with an aftermarket which did you use and what did you need to do to make it fit?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I quote myselves:

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I hate household plumbing and brake plumbing isn't high on my list of favorites either.

'Fabbed up a bracket for the adjustable prop valve out of 1/8-inch scrap

The odd contour shown above generally follows the outline of the PV with clearance for line wrenches and the ****'s stick out as shown below.

I gotta keep telling myself it's worth it... I hate making new brake lines! But the project can't move forward until it's done so I plow on.

'Fabbed up two front lines and then had to mock up other parts to verify there's no interference with the steering box, clutch bracket, etc. and can be serviced/replaced without too much trouble... then I got to bending and flaring lines from the Wilwood prop valve to the frame rail. I left the tails long so I have enough to reach the rear and front line couplers.

Whaddya think? I think it looks pretty good for someone with a bad attitude about brake lines.

Follow my build thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ide-build.html

Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
If you want to stick with OEM parts:
Valve, Brake pressure differential valve
73-74 F100 2WD w/ disc brakes
D3TZ-2B257-A
Marked D3TA-25254-AA
Last dealer cost $100.98 Last list price $144.25

I located one,
Wesley Obsolete Parts, Liberty, KY shows 1 in stock (606) 787-5293

Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 PM
wyckedcombo17
Posting Guru
whatever you do, do not get the brass one made by MBM. They all fail at the same point, the plastic disc in the bleeder pin.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:33 AM
David LaPell
Junior User
Summit has told me that the one from Classic Performance should fit with replumbing the lines. We are probably going to replumb the lines anyway, I am just needing to make sure that what I get will work. I would have thought someone would have kept making these things along the way.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 AM
704 dentside man
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry no help, but Holy crap HIO...I almost want to burn down my rigs when I have to straighten 4" of tube for a new fitting. I can appreciate the beauty in those brake lines.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:25 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by 704 dentside man
I can appreciate the beauty in those brake lines.
X2, nice work HIO

Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wyckedcombo17
whatever you do, do not get the brass one made by MBM. They all fail at the same point, the plastic disc in the bleeder pin.
Dangit... I was going to offer the new one I have to replace the one that failed within a month.

Seriously.....get the Wilwood

Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 704 dentside man
Sorry no help, but Holy crap HIO...I almost want to burn down my rigs when I have to straighten 4" of tube for a new fitting. I can appreciate the beauty in those brake lines.
Thanks....just imagine if I had a good attitude about brake lines. Sometimes I scare me.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe Inline tube carries them... that said are you sure your rears aren't weak causing the front lock-up? Visual inspection, bleed and adjust on the rears wouldn't hurt.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:38 PM
PoreBoy
New User
I quote myselves:

Follow my build thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ide-build.html
@HIO Silver I tried sending you a private message because after the reading I've done through the forum tonight you seem to know a lot about this part, but the forum said you had too many messages already(lol) so I decided to just reply in this thread. First the problem; my dad took his 74 F100 to a shop to have some different parts installed including the front flexible brake lines. He took it to a shop mainly because it would be easier for them to bleed the system once everything was installed. Well after installing the parts and driving the truck the shop told me at first the calipers we sticking on the front. I went by there after work that day and the way they explain it is if the truck sits a while you can jack up either side and the front wheel will spin freely, but if you hit the brakes one time it makes the tire next to impossible to turn. While I was at the shop they told me it's either the calipers or the proportioning valve. I asked them to do some more checking to narrow down the problem to see how we want to proceed. They called me today to say it needed a proportioning valve and that they couldn't get it of course. First, does the proportioning valve sound like the problem? The truck is a 74 F100 two wheel drive Ranger with the 360 engine. Second, if the valve is the problem do you suggest the Wilwood like you used and if so is it possible to hook up the brake light in the dash? I read some reviews on Summit about people liking the ease of the brake light wiring, but I'm not sure they are talking about the one in the dash or something else. I saw that some sort of harness comes with the valve so I just wanted to ask. Any insight you can give me will be helpful and I'm hoping you'll see this soon since I'll probably have to make a decision tomorrow on what I'm going to do and get some parts ordered. Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-10-2016, 12:26 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by PoreBoy
@HIO Silver I tried sending you a private message because after the reading I've done through the forum tonight you seem to know a lot about this part, but the forum said you had too many messages already(lol) so I decided to just reply in this thread. First the problem; my dad took his 74 F100 to a shop to have some different parts installed including the front flexible brake lines. He took it to a shop mainly because it would be easier for them to bleed the system once everything was installed. Well after installing the parts and driving the truck the shop told me at first the calipers we sticking on the front. I went by there after work that day and the way they explain it is if the truck sits a while you can jack up either side and the front wheel will spin freely, but if you hit the brakes one time it makes the tire next to impossible to turn. While I was at the shop they told me it's either the calipers or the proportioning valve. I asked them to do some more checking to narrow down the problem to see how we want to proceed. They called me today to say it needed a proportioning valve and that they couldn't get it of course. First, does the proportioning valve sound like the problem? The truck is a 74 F100 two wheel drive Ranger with the 360 engine. Second, if the valve is the problem do you suggest the Wilwood like you used and if so is it possible to hook up the brake light in the dash? I read some reviews on Summit about people liking the ease of the brake light wiring, but I'm not sure they are talking about the one in the dash or something else. I saw that some sort of harness comes with the valve so I just wanted to ask. Any insight you can give me will be helpful and I'm hoping you'll see this soon since I'll probably have to make a decision tomorrow on what I'm going to do and get some parts ordered. Thanks in advance!!
Yeah my bad. I gotta clean out my PM box. Thanks for the reminder.

In terms of the sticking calipers, yes it could be the prop valve or the booster if equipped with power brakes. A bad booster will sometimes not release the vacuum after a couple of brake applications. Only after time has elapsed and the vacuum bleeds off will the brakes "unlock". I ran into that issue with my 2WD '70...

The issue could also be the prop valve. The proper way to bleed the system is to hold its internal in position with a special tool. See, if one end of the brake system (front vs rear) fails, an internal pressure imbalance occurs and the piston slides towards the low pressure side (the end that is leaking). The piston has a detente (or saddle) in which the brake pressure warning light is connected to.. when the piston is actuated, the brake switch's pin slides up out of its saddle, closes the brake warning light circuit, and the dash light illuminates.

The switch at the end of the Wilwood prop valve is a brake switch that operates the brake lights - not the dash light. On my Bump, I deleted the pedal-actuated brake light switch, extended the wiring, and use the Wilwood switch for the brake lights.

I am of the opinion that the OEM prop valve is troublesome... troublesome to bleed and impossible to rebuild because there apparently are no service parts available. A few members have attempted to do so by measuring and spec'ing O-rings but I have yet to hear of any success. Most will opt for a GM-style prop valve but my research indicates that most are made overseas and fail simple testing. If you're gonna get one, get it from a reputable parts house like Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation or Master Power Brakes... NOT Ebay where there is troublesome recourse to get a replacement or your money back.

For me, the Wilwood is a quality piece, made in the USA, and Wilwood has a good reputation in high performance brake products and very active in motorsports... that's why I went with it. The "loss" of a brake warning light doesn't bother me.. it's a small price to pay for dead nuts performance.

Hope that helps your decision...