1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 1951 Panel "refresher" build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 1951 Panel "refresher" build thread

Since my 52 is pretty much done, I decided to start on the 51. The Panel has been sitting for several years. It last ran probably about 6-7 years ago. It's in decent shape, but does show it's age. Since the truck came from Arkansas, it does have rust/rot in the usual places. There are patch panels in the front floor, rot in the rear quarters, rear doors, front fenders and front cab corners. Throughout the years, I was smart enough to buy good body parts for this truck whenever I came across them.

Years ago, I purchased what was then a completely solid front clip to replace the one in this truck. Since the clip was sitting outside, it has now developed some rot in the running board areas, but not extremely bad (about quarter size hole through just the fender sheet metal and not the reinforcement). This will be an easy fix. I also came across a pair of rear doors in solid shape. I had to buy another Panel truck just to get a good right rear door. The left rear door (not installed) was purchased in SoCal several years ago for $75. I plan to have all replacement body panels repaired and refinished in the same color as the truck is now (or as close as possible). I also need to replace the running boards and have several pairs of solid boards. The front bumper is also getting replaced with a better one.

First order of business was to replace the wheels. I kept the 15" wheels that were on my 52 Panel, which also had new rubber installed before I removed these wheels from the 52. I also installed the poor man's spider caps. Still need to get some beauty rings for the wheels.

Before

After

The plan is to do a budget build. I don't want to modify this truck in a way that would make it hard to return to stock. We got the flattie turned over today after replacing all of the tune-up components. We couldn't keep it running because the truck is possibly out of gas or the "new" replacement fuel pump wasn't working. I have a 6v electrical pump on order. The good sign is that it had a healthy crank. I also have 1/0 cable and battery post connectors on order to replace the rotted out cables in the truck now. I'm hoping that the flattie will still be good enough to run as is. I can't afford a rebuild right now. With the work/parts it needs currently, I'm hoping to stay under $3k.

The plan is (in no particular order):

• replace front fenders
  • replace running boards
  • replace front bumper
  • replace rear doors
  • replace rotted out battery tray
  • replace (maybe) front cab corners
  • remove dual vacuum w/s wiper motor and replace with 6v electrical motor
  • rewire entire truck
  • fix stock horn button
  • install stock radio/speaker
  • install 9" rear and air shocks in rear
  • maybe lower the front end either by removing a few leafs or adding a drop axle
  • insulate interior
  • change out the door glass division bars and vent windows with s/s and chrome from a Deluxe truck
  • repair Magic Air heater and install new fresh air tube
  • letter the sides of the Panel with my father-in-law's business (already have the vision of the lettering/logo in my mind)
Hoping to get the majority done by the Christmas holidays so my father-in-law can drive it.

Even though I'm not a newbie, I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions during this build.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:11 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lookin good. Keep up the good work.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:27 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Panels are really cool.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 AM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like a decent panel to start out with...Cool.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
I can't wait to see the progress.
The very first thing I thought when I saw the first picture was I hope he gets rid of those god awful front rims first thing.
Just the new rims makes a big difference.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:31 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love it. Even if it is a Manure spreader. Any chance the new front clip is a Monkey face?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:45 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
The monkey face will EXTREMELY devalue the truck.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Even after the remark about the beloved "Monkey Face" LOL I'm going to love watching someone of your abilities doing this project. Rite on.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya what Jimmy said. Monkey Face or not it's still cool and I am gonna watch ya.
Heck I may even learn something I could use on a monkey face. Ya Think?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Monkey faces are way overrated! The art deco "teeth" look much better IMO. Good looking panel to start with, and your new wheels are much better.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Actually Ilya, I've been wondering about your FTE name since I first came to the site, because I sat in your 52, and didn't know you had a 51.

I think your wheels look great!

I'm going to be following this one... I love panels.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Panels are soooo cool.....wish I'd have kept the '52 I had years ago. Carry on...

Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 PM
FP
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Cool........

Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
We got her started and running yesterday. Also did a compression test. Right side from front - 110 90 90 90. Left side from front - 110 dead 110 110. Hopefully, the dead cylinder is not a real big issue. We're hoping that it's just a stuck valve, or maybe even a bent valve. Any other ideas why the cylinder is dead? It also sounds like there's an exhaust leak on the right side. I shouldn't have sold the good flattie exhaust manifolds I had a while back, but this gives me an excuse to buy some headers.

The flattie has a healthy start and appears to run smooth. I measured the voltage on the battery while the truck was running and it was 6.88, while steadily climbing up. The generator still works good, but I may replace it with a 6v pos alternator. I may also add a Pertronix coil and ignitor.

Click on the images below to see the videos.

My friend will be gone for a week, so I'll be concentrating on the body and whatever else I can do without him. He's the mechanic guru.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Excellent! You're off to a very good start.

Quick Reply: My 1951 Panel "refresher" build thread