1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

what a mess - will it never end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Is your rad mounted to directly to the heavy "u" rad support, "I call it a horse collar", or is it mounted to two angle brackets that are riveted to the horse collar? Stock V-8 uses a angle stand-off that I removed. My rad is mounted directly to the horse collar which would give you more clearance. Just another idea.
The rad is mounted to the angle brackes in the horse collar.

I can't find a reverse drill locally - I can only order them online. & from what I've seen of the prices....

I'll be drilling & tapping.

I will play around with the rad some - but I never intended to have such a project on my hands - I dont want to go messing around creating new brackets or mounts for the rad. I think the 16 inch fan with the shroud will be more than enough for my needs.
The lincoln shroud is as big as my radiator - so it will have great coverage. With the slim fan pulling air through It really should be OK.

I may run to the pick a part & look for a used alt bracket tonight.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The outer bracket is a little difficult to see in the pic because it is painted black. Look just under the head of the bolt before the alternator to see the edge of the bracket where the bolt goes thru it then follow it to the right and down. The part of the bracket where it attaches to the block/another bracket is not visible in the picture. Maybe number dummy can provide an exploded drawing of the bracketry?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I think I may have gotten some that were a combination reverse drill and easy out at Sears?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:07 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Sears has these: Sears.com

Old 09-27-2013, 12:11 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Ax, look behind the alt. you will see a blue bolt head, then to the right the dip stick tube, then the raised portion of the bracket that has the gold colored alt. spacer against it (the tube bracket also is mounted using this bolt) and then you can just see the top of the inner bolt behind the by-pass hose that lying against it.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Nice bits Ax. I have a couple of left hand bits but I think I need a set of these.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Unfortunately, there seem to be many variations of the alternator mount. See pics below. It looks like the bracket Truckee is talking about was not always used. I believe the bolt in question is in hole marked with the Red "B" in the head. If the bracket is there, yeah, you're golden.... (Note the bracket shown attached to the engine is an aftermarket piece that relocates the alternator, the cast piece appears to be stock?)

Attached Images    
Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Yup - thats the bolt hold I need to drill out.

I called the local sears - the teenage girl working the counter acted like I was an alien.

The guy a lowes laughed & thought I was a retard asking for a left handed drill bit. Then when I explained that it was a reverse or backwards drill bit he said "oh, no we dont carry those"

I may just drive by sears on the way home just in case.

I need the bracket. I called the local pick a part & they didn't have any in stock but said I was welcome to walk the yard. Sounds like my weekend is set.

The parade is next Friday. I need to get this done this week or take a day off & get it put back together.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
My advice based on past experience: Measure the distance from the timing cover to the grooves in the crankshaft sheave (belt grooves). Find a COMPLETE engine with the same setup and dimensions, and get ALL the pieces off the same engine (including water pump sheave). There were all kinds of variations to accommodate specific vehicles, with slightly different offsets, different options, etc. Mixing and matching doesn't work.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:58 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
to be honest at this point I dont have time to be picky. I need to get the truck on the road this weekend or I'm not going to be pulling the float with it.

I will take the time to make it right this winter while the truck is tucked in & sleeping. But for now - if the alt charges ( in any configuration) and the fan cools I will be happy. Even if I need to use Gurilla tape to hold it together.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:05 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
The front support bracket shows very clearly in Ross's 2nd and 3rd picture. Looks like 2 variations. If you cannot locate a ready made bracket, a similar functioning 2 piece bracket could be fabbed from a couple lengths of 1/8 x 1" strap iron from your favorite big box DIY store. Determine the necessary lengths, add a little (1/2" ?) extra for length taken up by bending, drill one end for the alternator bolt and thread the bolt thru the straps, snug the bolt. arrange the straps so they are over 2 suitable mounting bolts on the engine (water pump bolts?) Measure the distance each strap is above the bolt (assuming they are not in a straight line, if they are skip this step.) Remove the straps and bend the ends so it makes a shallow Z shape with the two ends parallel but offset the previously determined measurement. Replace the straps under the alternator bolt and check fit. If satisfactory mark the center of the bolt you'll use for attachment. Remove and drill the straps for these bolts. Trim and round the ends of the straps for appearance, paint if desired and bolt into place.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Listen guys - its been a long night & I made some real progress.

I have a ton of pics, but not too many have been uploaded so be patient with me.

Good news! I started to drill out the broken bolt & with the tiny little bit for the pilot hole the bolt started spinning (in). I reversed the drill & put a little sideways pressure on it & it came right out!!

WOW. So I spent the next 4 hours figuring out a home built bracket out of strap metal. I did the ol' Z bend method mentioned above & I at least have 1 there helping to hold the new alt in place.

The 6 inch grade 8 bolt needs to be 6.5 inch - but it will do for now.

The fan is the nice part.

I cut the Lincoln fan out of its shroud. My new 16 inch fan from FLOPS fit perfectly inside this shroud & the shroud fit perfectly on my rad. So I am VERY happy with how it turned out.

I have done none of the wireing & I have a little more bracketing work to do on the radiator support. But I need longer bolts & no place is open this late.

But I did get the truck started! Woo Hoo. & the new alt. put out some good juice at idle. Tomorrow I will hook up the thermostat fan control, the 3 wire alternator wires & basically put it all back together.

None too soon either I need to drive to my sisters on Sunday.

I'll post more pics tomorrow night once I get it all back together.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:11 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Looks good! Good job on the broken bolt too, that could have been ugly!

What is "FLOPS"?

If you can cut another piece of strap to have almost zero "Z" in it, to triangulate the one you've got, I think you'll be good to go for now.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:56 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Great progress! I agree with Ross, that strap has a pretty significant bend in it, see if you can identify another bolt for a second strap that would need no or very shallow Z in it. If not possible, then I'd substitute a thicker strap (1/4"). Try to keep the bends to near the ends of the strap so the section in the middle is as long as possible and the bends as shallow as possible.
That strap will probably work satisfactory for temporary use, but I would encourage you to try and find the OEM bracket, or a fabricator than can make one for you. If you run into a brick wall with that, make a second strap that fits, and send it to me, I'll use it as a pattern to make you a reinforced version.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:56 AM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
FLOPS = Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

Quick Reply: what a mess - will it never end?