1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New born with broke down truck 911 White smoke - No power- Ping noise in valy - oil in exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New born with broke down truck 911 White smoke - No power- Ping noise in valy - oil in exhaust.

Hey guys. Im in need of some help.
Last weak I left for north Dakota to help my brother move back home.
As most of yall know Iv been working around the clock to make sure my truck was ready.
I left Saturday night. I made it 80 miles when I stopped to check the oils and other fluids. Everything looked great - Oil was nice and clean... I drove about anther 3 miles when I thought I heard something (Upon turning the radio down) I started noticing the truck losing power and smoking.
I pulled over on the highway and started working on the truck - I drained the fuel blow and switch to the other tank - I drained it multi times (Thinking the white smoke had something to do with the fuel) Nothing changed.
It had little to no power - multi missfires -No CEL - White smoke pouring every wear.

I went ahead and pushed it down to the next exit (It died once) Acted like it ran out of fuel but fired right back up.
I set on the exit ramp all night - when day light came I worked on it some more - I finally drove it about 2 miles to a truck stop wear I could use a phone.

The truck got even worse - to the point it would not even idle.

I drained the fuel blow and ran clean/fresh fuel to the pump and refilled the fuel blow - After running 10 mins no change.

So I gave up and started looking for a tow truck (After sleeping in the truck a few nights I finally got a tow truck to get me home.
Had to have a friend come out with his AAA card.
When the tow truck showed up - We noticed oil pouring out the exhaust. I also checked my oil and it is now dirty looking.

I had to start the truck to pull it in the drive way when I got it home - There was alote more oil coming out the exhaust this time.

Here is a full list of the problems -
Pours white smoke (At first it was worst at Idle but did not do it all the time) When U turn the key of it puffs a huge ball of smoke out.
Will not reve past 2500 rpms - When held at a higher rpm the ping disappears
There is SOMETIMES - a ping or knocking sound coming from the valy*It sounds like it is coming from the valy* -
When the ping/knock is present the smoke is worse.
No power -
Good oil pressure (30 - 55 psi when engine is up to temp) It does not flex around.
The engine never even attempted to run hot
Oil coming out the exhaust.
30 mph is hard to get to.
oil in the exhaust did not start right way
The first 2 days it was so bad the engine would not idle - The 3rd day the truck all of a sudden started idling better but kept smoking (No pings/knocks) and miss firing. This is when we started noticing the oil in the exhaust.
I was on the path of a ejector problem until I found the oil in the exhaust - Now I feel its is the turbo.
Any ideas guys - I need to get this truck running soon - My new born son is in nicku in Tulsa and I need a way back in forth...
[/COLOR]

Does anyone out there know how to rebuild a turbo ? How much would you charge me to do so - Is there a turbo rebuild kit out there? Anyone got a link?
Please help. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm honestly not too sure where to start! I guess the easiest things to start with would be these:

Does the fuel you're getting out of the truck smell like gasoline? Did this happen soon after a re-fueling stop?

Have you tried changing the CPS with a new one from Ford? They're only about $40.

If you suspect the turbo, then the best way to check it is to pull the intake plumbing off of it and see if you have any play in the shaft. If the turbo is blown, you will get some serious wiggle in the turbo shaft. And yes, the turbo can be rebuilt and a kit can be bought here for around $100. That link takes you to the page where you can see all the parts Riffraff sells for your turbo.

I wish I were closer so I could help....

Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One other thing you can try would be to take the IDM off the driver side fender and shake it. They're prone to getting water inside them and they can produce all sorts of screwy problems when that happens.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:05 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Wow, sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm honestly not too sure where to start! I guess the easiest things to start with would be these:

Does the fuel you're getting out of the truck smell like gasoline? Did this happen soon after a re-fueling stop?

Have you tried changing the CPS with a new one from Ford? They're only about $40.

If you suspect the turbo, then the best way to check it is to pull the intake plumbing off of it and see if you have any play in the shaft. If the turbo is blown, you will get some serious wiggle in the turbo shaft. And yes, the turbo can be rebuilt and a kit can be bought here for around $100. That link takes you to the page where you can see all the parts Riffraff sells for your turbo.

I wish I were closer so I could help....
Thanks for the info - The problem did not happen to soon after refueling - It was about 80 miles later - the truck had a full tank when I left and half when It the problem started -
Ill post more info about the weird full tank issue when I get back. Please keep post info for me. Im on my way with my mom van to see my son thanks.... Thank you for your post.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Have you checked the turbo yet? Pull the intake and downpipe if you can. Where are you at?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My WAG is the turbo seals and bearings are done. Like Darin said, pull the intake and check the end play on the compressor wheel

Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Did you put on the Exhaust Brake?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Have you checked the turbo yet? Pull the intake and downpipe if you can. Where are you at?
Im in muskogee ok.
No I havent had a chance to check anything yet - Just got home today and had to run to tulsa to see my newbi - (6 pounds 8oz) 19 1/2 ich long.

Anyway. Ill try and start checking stuff tomorrow.

This whole thing is weird to me - Like I was saying - When it all started the thing did not wanna run/idle at all and poured smoke like crazy -Then the next day it started idling better but still smoked - but this is also when it started pouring oil out the exhaust.
Im verry tired and I have been up for almost 50 hours straight. Grrr. Guys thanks! I have about 10 days before my brother gets kicked out permanently so I need to try and get this fixed.

Is there anyway a ejector could cause oil to pour out the exhaust.

Also - I noticed this truck turns about 2500 rpms at 70ish. Isnt that kinda high rpms for this engine?

Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Did you put on the Exhaust Brake?
Naw bro = never got it done. I did get the TQ lock up mod done but did not use it. I wounder if this had something to do with the reason why the evbp break mod would not work?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:12 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
My WAG is the turbo seals and bearings are done. Like Darin said, pull the intake and check the end play on the compressor wheel
Thank you sir! What is the knocking/ping/ sound caused by? Why does it come and go?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:32 AM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
are you sure theres no water in fuel

Old 09-25-2013, 06:17 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Congrats on the newborn by the way!

Since you mentioned ND, I thought maybe you were close, I could help. Guess you're a ways to far away. Let us know what you find.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 AM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the baby.

I'm about 3.5 hours away from you in Little Rock AR. If your turbo took a crap, I have a spare. I also have AE on my computer.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Congrats and is it a boy or girl?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Fuel coming out the exhaust will absorb the soot in the pipe along the way and appear to be oil once it starts to drip.
Are you sure it's oil and not fuel?

I'd start with injectors or fuel stuff.
When an injector blows a nozzle, or comes loose in the bore, it has a lot of the same symptoms you described. It would explain the white smoke and fluid out the exhaust. I've also heard a truck knock with a blown nozzle, too.

You can't unplug the injector thinking it will kill the issue, either. With the truck running and pumping fuel, there would be fuel dumping in the cylinder all the time, you can't shut that off without turning off the engine.

If it were me I'd start there.
I can't seen an IDM or electronics causing a smoke situation, that would be more of a dead miss, etc. Smoke is mechanical, IMO.

Keep us posted.

Edit: Having said all of that, we had a truck come in a few months back with 2 broken push rods. LOTS of smoke, poor mpg, loss of power, and some weird sounds coming from the engine. 1 rod was snapped in 2, another was 's' shaped.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4

Quick Reply: New born with broke down truck 911 White smoke - No power- Ping noise in valy - oil in exhaust.