1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New born with broke down truck 911 White smoke - No power- Ping noise in valy - oil in exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by f350hammer
Thank you sir. Are there any things i should look for when changing the ejectors.
The RPMs turning at 2400 at 70 mph means you have a 4.10 geared rear end. It won't hurt anything in the engine regarding mechanics. And I now see that this question has already been answered.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:20 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I find it hard to believe that one o ring missing caused the whole - ping/knocking and smoking issues.
I'd say that would cause a problem.
Did you get my PM with my number the other day ?
I'm in okmulgee 40 miles west of where you were at

Old 09-26-2013, 06:15 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quesey
I'd say that would cause a problem.
Did you get my PM with my number the other day ?
I'm in okmulgee 40 miles west of where you were at
Yes I got your number thank you.I Im in muskogee ok. Iv been meaning to give you a call. How late can I call? I have just been really busy!

Do yall think that was the problem???? None of the others appear to have anything wrong with them?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Fuel coming out the exhaust will absorb the soot in the pipe along the way and appear to be oil once it starts to drip.
Are you sure it's oil and not fuel?

I'd start with injectors or fuel stuff.
When an injector blows a nozzle, or comes loose in the bore, it has a lot of the same symptoms you described. It would explain the white smoke and fluid out the exhaust. I've also heard a truck knock with a blown nozzle, too.

You can't unplug the injector thinking it will kill the issue, either. With the truck running and pumping fuel, there would be fuel dumping in the cylinder all the time, you can't shut that off without turning off the engine.

If it were me I'd start there.
I can't seen an IDM or electronics causing a smoke situation, that would be more of a dead miss, etc. Smoke is mechanical, IMO.

Keep us posted.

Edit: Having said all of that, we had a truck come in a few months back with 2 broken push rods. LOTS of smoke, poor mpg, loss of power, and some weird sounds coming from the engine. 1 rod was snapped in 2, another was 's' shaped.
Well Jim what do you think? Do you think that could have been the issue?
It amazing that a little o-ring like that could slow down such a powerfull engine like a powerstroke!!!

Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
All is takes is a few grains of sand to bring an entire engine down. The O-Ring is not hard to believe at all.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
I think I know what happen to cause this.The P/O Said the injectors had been rebuilt.
The bad injector was (Passenger bank Cylinder# 8) When I popped it lose and tried to slide the injector out it hit on the accumulator box for the A/C - Im pretty sure someone seen this and thought they would have to remove the whole A/C box (I thought so at first)So they just bypassed that injector.

I removed the service door on the box and was able to slide the injector out the rest of the way.Np. Guys thanks very much.

I have been working on a phone APP that telaports beer from one phone to the other - as soon as it is done yall will al get a free beer.

Next app im working on is the one that alerts you when your baby has soiled there dipper!

Thanks guys! Ill let yall know how it goes.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:54 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel like a dumb now.. Lol I didn't even think to ask if it was actually fuel coming out the exhaust. Thank god some people use their heads for more than hat racks round here, unlike myself. Well done Jim, Pete, and whoever else thought it was actually fuel.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I find it hard to believe that one o ring missing caused the whole - ping/knocking and smoking issues.
It's actually not so much the issue that the lower oring is missing.
It's the fact that the injector was not properly installed and came loose, and combustion gases blew away the copper washer then the lower o-ring and drew massive amounts of fuel into the combustion chamber which it could not fully burn. Unfortunately I see that at least a couple times a month. You want that injector replaced, or at the very least a new nozzle and other components replaced inside. The excessive heat from all that fuel getting into the combustion chamber super heats the nozzle and other parts to the point they will become brittle. You don't want those pieces coming apart and causing even more issues later on.
If you got that other set super cheap, throw a set of orings on one of them and give it a try. I'd put the 'new' injector in the forward most cylinder to make it easier to change later if it gives you an issue later.

Good luck.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 09-28-2013, 02:21 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Guy - i got the injector all in place except for the trouble maker- #7.
Im pretty sure I have mixed up 2 of the injectors (Iv got the trouble maker in the front port - passenger head and the one that should be there is ready to go into the rear wear the trouble maker should be . What will happen if Iv mixed up the injectors?

Also I have not installed trouble maker #7 because I feel part of the seal might still be in the port - Also The cooper peace that goes on the tip on the injector was missing - I installed a new one on the injector but fear the cooper peace maybe still inside the port. So I need to get them out. Any idea how. Its at a bad angle - to the point you cant see inside the port.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 AM
fordfan32
Junior User
Use a small o-ring pick or screw driver to get it out. A mirror should allow you to see in the hole. IT DOESN'T matter where the injector goes. If it's bad the problem will follow it. Hole to hole.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:09 AM
tappit01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guy - i got the injector all in place except for the trouble maker- #7.
Im pretty sure I have mixed up 2 of the injectors (Iv got the trouble maker in the front port - passenger head and the one that should be there is ready to go into the rear wear the trouble maker should be . What will happen if Iv mixed up the injectors?

Also I have not installed trouble maker #7 because I feel part of the seal might still be in the port - Also The cooper peace that goes on the tip on the injector was missing - I installed a new one on the injector but fear the cooper peace maybe still inside the port. So I need to get them out. Any idea how. Its at a bad angle - to the point you cant see inside the port.
i used a camera to take pics of the back holes for inspection .

Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by tappit01
i used a camera to take pics of the back holes for inspection .
Thanks Ill try that.

I heard rommors that you have to keep the injectors in order or it can cause running issues. Is this true? Anyone know forsure?

Old 09-28-2013, 03:36 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
They're all the same, it won't matter.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:38 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear you found the issue. Use an inspection mirror and a drop light or flashlight to see down the back hole if need be.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Update. Got all the injectors back in - Started the truck and sounds/Runs great! It sound way better then it did before (It always had a slight missfire until it warmed up before) Now it sounds awesome.
It did smoke for about 10mins but has stopped.

Iv got a new issue and not sure what to do about it.

When You go to start the truck - it doesn't fire up the first crank.
You can crank it for 10-15 secs straight and it wont fire - If you let off the key and hit it again it will fire right up (There is no rough idle or jump/bogging to it - It will fire right up.
The truck will not start the first time around.

I wounder if I knocked a glow plug out of place?

Quick Reply: New born with broke down truck 911 White smoke - No power- Ping noise in valy - oil in exhaust.