1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New born with broke down truck 911 White smoke - No power- Ping noise in valy - oil in exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:51 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes they can crack. I replaced mine when i put my injectors in just so i would not have to pull them again later down the line. Riff Raff diesel will rent you the tools to take out and install the cups. Some say if its not broke dont fix it. So its up to you really. And yes, those are the o rings you need.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:08 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as the cups go. Once the injectors are removed the coolant system needs to be pressurized. Inspect the cups for leaks.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
weak metal, manufacturer defect. stuff like that happens, not very often but it sure happens. I had installed a set of 80 over nozzels a few years back and my initial start up blew a nozzle right up. ran the truck for 3-4 minutes hoping to clear it up being my first injector install. nope! it sure happens.

The RPM is not the issue here, being at 2500RPM isn't exactly pushing high ICP as that is relative to load so I think its just a case of a bad nozzle. 2500 is a pretty high rpm as some of us experience oil aeration which will leave you at a little bit of a romping off the highway but if the truck does ok then run er.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
If you get those injectors that cheap and are replacing your current injectors. I would think about sending them to Jim Rosewood to have him check them out.
For a small fee he would flow test them and o-ring them for you.. That way you know what you are putting in your truck and that they will last a long time.

And if it were me (and you could swing the cash) I would maybe have Jim do a set of budget build stage 1s. They will give your truck a little more 'umph' and wont hurt your stock turbo.
Be careful though if you go that route. You want to make sure you have some gauges to watch your EGTs.

Im just spit ballin ideas... Whenever I am doing a 'big' repair I always look at the cost difference from doing factory replacement to upgrades and the potential gains from upgrading.
Factory used replacements - $200 (purchase and o-ring)
Budget Build Stage 1 - $500 + $100 (purchase price and overhaul fee)

For $200 you will have a factory set with XX miles on it and unsure condition.
For around $600 you will have a set that will give you more ponies and Jim will make sure to let you know what the condition of everything is.

Just my .02... never hurts to call and ask Jim. He was the guy who posted on the first page about it being fuel in your exhaust.

http://rosewooddieselshop.com/

Old 09-26-2013, 12:26 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Awitte58
If you get those injectors that cheap and are replacing your current injectors. I would think about sending them to Jim Rosewood to have him check them out.
For a small fee he would flow test them and o-ring them for you.. That way you know what you are putting in your truck and that they will last a long time.

And if it were me (and you could swing the cash) I would maybe have Jim do a set of budget build stage 1s. They will give your truck a little more 'umph' and wont hurt your stock turbo.
Be careful though if you go that route. You want to make sure you have some gauges to watch your EGTs.

Im just spit ballin ideas... Whenever I am doing a 'big' repair I always look at the cost difference from doing factory replacement to upgrades and the potential gains from upgrading.
Factory used replacements - $200 (purchase and o-ring)
Budget Build Stage 1 - $500 + $100 (purchase price and overhaul fee)

For $200 you will have a factory set with XX miles on it and unsure condition.
For around $600 you will have a set that will give you more ponies and Jim will make sure to let you know what the condition of everything is.

Just my .02... never hurts to call and ask Jim. He was the guy who posted on the first page about it being fuel in your exhaust.

Rosewood Diesel Shop
Thanks for the info. I wish I had that kinda money for this issue. I would be more then happy to do so. Im gonna try and pull my injectors and figure out what ones are bad. Im gonna try and but a full set out at the yard for 100$ This way I have extra left over. Iv got 8 days and a verry tight budget.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can completely understand the tight budget, but I have to warn you to resist the temptation to put it back together without getting new o-rings unless you want to do it twice. Putting it back together with the old o-rings won't save you anything in the long run.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Arcturus
Freshman User
If your looking to Ebay for injector orings look for Alliant brand. Alliant is the supplier for OEM parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Powerstroke-7-3-INJECTOR-o-ring-seals-oring-kits-/130803802919?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7483a327&vxp=mtr

Old 09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I can completely understand the tight budget, but I have to warn you to resist the temptation to put it back together without getting new o-rings unless you want to do it twice. Putting it back together with the old o-rings won't save you anything in the long run.
Roger. Yea I plan on doing o-rings at least.
Thanks for the advice 100% agree.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
I have two spare AA injectors. They're supposed to be good. Email me? lindstromjd@yahoo.com

And shoot... For $100 you can't go wrong for a set of cores. You could sell them off for more to someone who needs cores, or maybe to an injector builder.
Email sent bro.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:16 PM
fordfan32
Junior User
Might be an idea to remove the valve covers and bar the engine over making sure all valves open and close. As the guys have mentioned. Push rods bend or break, lifters and keepers break and as I think Jim mentioned fuel and carbon look like oil.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordfan32
Might be an idea to remove the valve covers and bar the engine over making sure all valves open and close. As the guys have mentioned. Push rods bend or break, lifters and keepers break and as I think Jim mentioned fuel and carbon look like oil.
Roger will do.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:03 PM
fordfan32
Junior User
I chased a slobbery white smoke miss problem for an entire weekend. The next, I put another engine in. I posted a thread on this....but long story short. Damn thing had a bad lifter. Roller broke off. So don't panic just make sure everything is rolling over as it should. These damn trucks have two problems. Fuel and actual broken things that act like fuel lol.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Update -The valve covers are off- Im pulling the injectors one at a time to take a look but I cant get them to budge. Iv pulled the lower bolt on the injector but they all feel like there is something else holding them.

How do I get the injectors them selfs out of the pocket!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Ok Got the injectors out on the passenger bank. Check this out - 20130926_164309_zpsc1c28ddb.jpg Photo by Bluemule93 | Photobucket

One injector had no o-ring and looks like crap! Is this is issue? Also Should i try to clean this thing up and replace the o-ring or what.

Thanks guys! Going to pull the rest and check them out as well.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:10 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
I find it hard to believe that one o ring missing caused the whole - ping/knocking and smoking issues.

Quick Reply: New born with broke down truck 911 White smoke - No power- Ping noise in valy - oil in exhaust.