1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Standin on a corner in Winslow, AZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please post a link........on a side note how is Williams, thinking of moving there in the future.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 AM
EAK69
Senior User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer
........on a side note how is Williams, thinking of moving there in the future.
I can only tell you about the business / Route 66 side of it and it is stupid busy... I tell anyone who wants to travel a 'portion of the route' who live in AZ to go to Williams to see how busy it gets on the weekends during summer.

As for the housing market - I do not know. I do know several business owners do live there in the spring/summer/fall - run their business and then move back to the PHX Valley (local snowbirds as I call them) during the winter to avoid the snow in Williams. I am sure you will like it.....

Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
We stayed in a really nice house out in the desert near Williams last year in the Spring. It was on one of the websites where people rent out their homes to travelers during certain parts of the year. I enjoyed visiting Williams and liked that high desert area. I've never been to AZ in the Summer and as Ed says I'm sure it is very busy in that area as Williams is kind of considered as the gateway to the Grand Canyon in addition to it's Route 66 connection.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the biggest problems in the outlying Williams area is water. Due to the volcanic ash from many volcanos in the past, you cannot drill for water due to the porous nature of the ash. Therefore, water must be trucked in and stored. Also, this is an arid region so cisterns can only collect water during the monsoon season.

However, the whole region is beautiful.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:17 AM
EAK69
Senior User

Originally Posted by edzakory
One of the biggest problems in the outlying Williams area is water. Due to the volcanic ash from many volcanoes in the past, you cannot drill for water due to the porous nature of the ash. Therefore, water must be trucked in and stored.
This is true - there are towns up by Williams (Ash Fork for example) that have to 'ship' water in. Some of these old towns in AZ on the route most likely will never have a chance to come back due to this simple fact. But at the same time - there are SO many homes and businesses inside Williams who are running and operating I do not think they have a water issue - but then again, I never asked!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
subscribing to see the pic's

Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
When we were looking for a retirement place we looked at Williams, Flagstaff, Cottonwood and finally ended up in Prescott. Here in AZ the higher you go the cold and snow become a major factor. Flagstaff gets buried with snow, Williams is a little better and Prescott is just right. One nice thing about Prescott is that we are still close enough to the 66 to enjoy all the cool events that Route 66 provides. One bad thing is that it is kind of pricey, you can probably get more bang for your buck in Williams..

Old 09-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
When we were looking for a retirement place we looked at Williams, Flagstaff, Cottonwood and finally ended up in Prescott. Here in AZ the higher you go the cold and snow become a major factor. Flagstaff gets buried with snow, Williams is a little better and Prescott is just right. One nice thing about Prescott is that we are still close enough to the 66 to enjoy all the cool events that Route 66 provides. One bad thing is that it is kind of pricey, you can probably get more bang for your buck in Williams..
I always liked the Prescott area as well. Is there an Embry Riddle University in Prescott?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EAK69
I can only tell you about the business / Route 66 side of it and it is stupid busy... I tell anyone who wants to travel a 'portion of the route' who live in AZ to go to Williams to see how busy it gets on the weekends during summer.
We went to a diner type restaurant/gift shop in Williams called Cruisers. I remember buying a Williams - Route 66 t-shirt and AZ Route 66 sign there.

Cruisers Cafe 66

Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rojak
I always liked the Prescott area as well. Is there an Embry Riddle University in Prescott?
Yes there is, my son-in-law graduated from there.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Yes there is, my son-in-law graduated from there.
I looked at Embry Riddle when looking at colleges many years ago as I have family in Phoenix. Didn't want to get too far from home at the time. Looking back... I should have.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:43 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
That's what I'm looking at, but I still have about 11 years. I want someplace were I can have a real shop (steel building), cooler summers (below 90 most of the time), a little snow for winter and some elbow room. Kinda fun looking for someone who's never traveled. I like the area I'm in, but it's crowded, high $$$ now and they're starting to frown on old cars.

I didn't even think about the water, I assumed it was regular piped in and maybe a septic and propane for the other utilities. Is all Williams trucked in water?, I know people in Kingman but it's hotter there.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Wmrdalydvm
Freshman User
Rt 66 Album

Sorry for the delay guys--We finished up at Santa Monica and stopped for 2 days to visit a friend in Escondido, then made the LONG and boring drive back to the Houston area.

Anyway, if you follow the link at the bottom, it will take you to my photobucket site. We did the Chicago to Amarillo portion in 2011 and the pics are arranged day by day. You can also acces the 2013 album to see Amarillo to Santa Monica, and for those who asked you can access more pics of my 49 "Sportsman" ( my own design of course) as well as some pics of my 49 Wagon

Enjoy, Bill

Route 66 Travels-2011 Photos by wmrdalydvm | Photobucket

Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 PM
EAK69
Senior User

Bill - love the pics - its like... home to me!!!

Old 09-27-2013, 02:12 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wmrdalydvm
Sorry for the delay guys--We finished up at Santa Monica and stopped for 2 days to visit a friend in Escondido, then made the LONG and boring drive back to the Houston area.

Anyway, if you follow the link at the bottom, it will take you to my photobucket site. We did the Chicago to Amarillo portion in 2011 and the pics are arranged day by day. You can also acces the 2013 album to see Amarillo to Santa Monica, and for those who asked you can access more pics of my 49 "Sportsman" ( my own design of course) as well as some pics of my 49 Wagon

Enjoy, Bill

Route 66 Travels-2011 Photos by wmrdalydvm | Photobucket
Looks like it was a great trip. You just missed Wavecrest in Encinitas last weekend.