Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Senior User

HillBillyBuddha is starting off with a positive reputation.
a new sound.

About 4 or 6 weeks ago my truck started making a squeaking / chirping sound. At first I was concerned that I had blown a bearing but I became less convinced as I drove it around. But it is an annoying sound that I'd like to find and fix so I was hoping there might be some suggestions on tracking down the sound.

Here's what I can tell you about it. It only chirps / squeaks while my foot is on the gas, if I take my foot off the gas, the sound immediately stops regardless of speed. Speed doesn't seem effect the sound / pitch of the squeak. The squeak isn't always there but it only happens when my foot is on the gas. I occasionally think the sound comes from under the cab rather then the engine bay.

Any ideas?
Hillbillybuddha
Old 09-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Posting Guru

Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.
Lol, im searching that exact same thing. Except mine is around 20 mph, and seems speed associated; i slow down, it slows down. Im staying home tomorrow, which i cant afford, to try and figure it out. I was reading my Chiltons, maybe my tranny fluid or band adjustment? Idk
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
I would check your U joints first......
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 09-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Elder User

old broke prospector is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.old broke prospector is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would be thinking torque related, when under load or accelerating, the engine will torque and that very slight movement may be causing something to rub or wear. Sadly it can be anything.

Use a cell phone in a plastic bag, tape it in the engine compartment, call another phone and listen on that phone for the sound as you drive, then test the tranny, then the rear end. It may be better to jack up the rear wheels and do the test in the drive way to reduce the road noise.

Of course it could be grimlins in the gas tank complaining that you are draining their food supply.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the phone idea, but might not need it if I just Jack up the back end.
I'll check my U joints too
JkInHyd, hope you figure your issue out.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Posting Guru

The Masked Rider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"chirping sound" Are you sure its not a tiny exhaust leak.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Masked Rider View Post
"chirping sound" Are you sure its not a tiny exhaust leak.
There's nothing tiny about my exhaust leak. I can almost get my fist into that "leak" It's part of my "to do" list. On that note, I found a pair of hooker headers at the junk yard today.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Posting Guru

Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.
I replaced the u joints on my rear drive shaft and the problem is gone. I actually had climbed under before and pushed and pulled, and saw no sloppiness, but when i actually removed em, they were already dried out and destroyed.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks