1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 f2 rebuild/restore

Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 PM
black_devil
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 f2 rebuild/restore

i bought a 1950 ford f2 with the original flathead V8. i have gotten into it quite abit this week eng and trans came out this past weekend and have the interior stripped and front end tore apart. i bought this truck for an epic steal. my major concern was rust since i am having the end and trans cleaned and built the rust i have found was on the front end section and on the tail ends of the rear fenders soo im so far quite pleased with my choice. the most expensive thing im going to have to get is a wireing harness since the po decided to cut all the wires except to the heater. the more advice i can get the better i am making this a winter project hope to be done around summer 2014

Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

What are your plans? Pics? Oh, and putting your location (update your CP Profile info) is always a help.

On the wiring harness. There are a number of options depending on whether you'll stay 6 volt or have intentions of adding any equipment (radios, wipers, ...). If you are staying stock, you may want to thing about just making your own - is really isn't too difficult and does make for a good winter project for some.

DW

Old 09-29-2013, 05:53 PM
black_devil
Freshman User
ok i have gotten alot more done lately and am in need of a few clues...since this is my first ford. i need to know what the stock radio looked like, if i can just wire everything up to a 12 volt battery or if it has to be dropped to 6V (truck has no wiring atm), and if i can do electronic fuel inj. on the engine i have many more questions but this will help me along in my journey.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome!
If you plan on EFI you'll need to convert to 12V neg grd, I don't know of any 6V pos grd EFI aftermarket controller or OEM ECU.
I suggest you become familiar with using the search function (the one in the center of the light blue band above), and especially the advanced search (I think you need smewhere between 5 and 10 posts for the advanced search and other goodies to become available to you). There is an incredible wealth of very good info available on here, but sometimes we get tired of answering the same common questions over and over again. That doesn't mean we won't try to help you, this is a very friendly helpful place, it's just that you ain't the first one to do this and the questions and issues tend to be repetitious so you can find hours of reading material that has already been posted in great detail that is likely to save you time, effort and/or $ like the pros and cons of 6V vs 12V and the best ways to convert one of out trucks.
If you have any rust out where you have already discovered it, it's likely you have more you just haven't discovered yet in places common on the bonus built trucks. There is a large amount of general and specific info on how to best deal with it on here.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Flathead EFI? A wonderful thing if you've got about $3k burning a hole in your pocket. Hard to justify...

I'd suggest reading back thru some of the threads, reading the How To's (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-how-tos.html ), and really thinking thru what you want out of the truck before going much further.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:21 PM
black_devil
Freshman User
i was offered a chevy 421 with mated 6speed trans for $10G i dono if its a good deal and if i should sell everything from under the truck first...

Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM
black_devil
Freshman User
Well it has been quite along time since i have been on here. I stopped because i got overwhelmed with the amount of money and work. Well i have made strides in progress. Starting i cleaned and spray bombed the cab hood and a fender half the bed is done as well i have to clean the rear fenders and cut out some parts. i stumbled onto a chevy big block 454 with a turbo 400 transmission which i am changing from tbi to true carb 4 barrel. i have placed photos of these things in my sinnister album.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 PM
1950F2
Junior User
Hey black devil. I used to live in Michigan City, In. Kind of close.
I would look at putting it all back as Org.

I picked up a 50 F2 2 1/2 years ago that was sitting for 42 years.

Put it all back together stock. Fresh build on the 239 V8 flat head.

Took a year to take apart and a year to put back together.
I wanted this truck to be me and my grand daughter's fishing truck.
Just need to get her to do the stick shift thing. 3 speed in this one.
I think they are cool modded up (big motor), BUT they are way cool all stock if you ask me.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM
wallster
Elder User
Originally Posted by black_devil
Well it has been quite along time since i have been on here. I stopped because i got overwhelmed with the amount of money and work. Well i have made strides in progress. Starting i cleaned and spray bombed the cab hood and a fender half the bed is done as well i have to clean the rear fenders and cut out some parts. i stumbled onto a chevy big block 454 with a turbo 400 transmission which i am changing from tbi to true carb 4 barrel. i have placed photos of these things in my sinnister album.
Oh boy... you did it now, a chevy engine in a classic ford truck?? (gasp)... might as well call everyone's sister on FTE ugly!

Wally

Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
454 is going to make that little truck fly! I was going to put this in my next F1 build but decided to save it for a different vehicle.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 PM
black_devil
Freshman User
i got the engine for the same price as i got the truck so it was a hell of a deal i know it wont be popular but im not looking for that im looking for something origional and one of a kind. it will have a mechanical fuel pump and carb so i really hope it has the power im wanting for a tow/show truck.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That will tow the space shuttle with the boosters attached! The 454 was originally designed to be a torquemonster truck engine. Don't over carb or overcam it and it will dig holes.
Don't let the blue blooders get to you, as long as you don't brag too much they'll get over it. (they got over me.)

Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM
black_devil
Freshman User
i appreciate the info thats what im here for this is my first ford and i must say its very well built. its nice to be able to work on a vehicle and only need one set of sockets and wrenches.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:08 PM
black_devil
Freshman User
well its been a very long process but i have made some head way with my truck i bought an axle out of a 96 f250. i got the old axle out and the new one in place which is where i found a major problem the location of the leaf springs are too narrow for the new axle how am i to address this problem i have ran out of ideas short of fabricating something that may not work. i know im not the first to do this so lets see what you all have done with this. im about 3-4 inches off on both sides.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:01 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Us "blue blooders" would suggest you instead find a '72 or earlier F-250 axle. Bolts right in. Stu

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1950 f2 rebuild/restore