Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,051 Posts
It could be full of junk.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:07 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to say I guess. With 359k and the original radiator anything is possible.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:11 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I don't recommend bypassing the radiator. It is a very effective cooler. If you want to cool the transmission, why remove an excellent cooler?

We can debate all day long if it is necessary or not. Ford changed to 3/8" lines with the 4R100 and then 1/2" lines with the TorqShift. Both changes were made to improve the flow rate, which improves cooling.
Mark, do you think the cooler I got is sufficient for cooling while towing? I got it yesterday from the UPS guy and opened it right away. It is much better than stock but still kinda small. What say you? I can always return it and get a bigger one.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:36 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
We can debate all day long if it is necessary or not. Ford changed to 3/8" lines with the 4R100 and then 1/2" lines with the TorqShift. Both changes were made to improve the flow rate, which improves cooling.
In your opinion, do you think that running a larger line would be beneficial?

How about on a high performance application such as drag racing where I'll be loading it on the converter pretty hard during staging? I was planning on building some -8 AN stainless braided lines for my trans cooler lines. Using the radiator cooler and then either a trucool or a 6.0 cooler if I can fit one up there.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Mark, do you think the cooler I got is sufficient for cooling while towing? I got it yesterday from the UPS guy and opened it right away. It is much better than stock but still kinda small. What say you? I can always return it and get a bigger one.
Since I can't see it, look at how far I'm holding my hands apart. As long as it is this big, then it's fine. Can't see my hands? I can't see how big your cooler is.
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
In your opinion, do you think that running a larger line would be beneficial?

How about on a high performance application such as drag racing where I'll be loading it on the converter pretty hard during staging? I was planning on building some -8 AN stainless braided lines for my trans cooler lines. Using the radiator cooler and then either a trucool or a 6.0 cooler if I can fit one up there.
Bigger cooler lines will help a lot. Especially in the conditions you will be seeing.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
the B&M 70268 measures 7 1/2 in. x 11 in. x 3/4 in

i used to run that cooler on my truck before getting a reman and tru-cool and though it was small by comparison and though i used to have the smaller hard lines,and though i used to have the lower volume front pump of the early '93 trans it actually worked very well and i had to install a 180 t-stat in front of it.
if you have a trans temp gauge,you'll find out soon enough if it'll keep trans temps between 175-225F.if it doesn't then you'll know you'll need to look for something larger.
it was an impressive cooler imho.if the trans shop didn't install a cooler,i would have likely just run another of those,cus i had perfect temps.the trans section of the radiator should take care of dropping "most" of the heat anyway.i think a lot of people are not researching ideal trans temps and get a bit carried away.these modern trans with locking converters are not like the old school c6's or something,where you almost could never get a large enough cooler.
you really don't want a cooler larger than required because it all drops the efficiency of your engines radiator (cooling system.) i ended up dropping my tru-cool down below my plow push plates to help air flow.likely not an issue if you haven't or don't plan on an intercooler,but all these large coolers make for longer engine fan engagement durations and reduced fuel economy.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:20 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT

you really don't want a cooler larger than required because it all drops the efficiency of your engines radiator (cooling system.) i ended up dropping my tru-cool down below my plow push plates to help air flow.likely not an issue if you haven't or don't plan on an intercooler,but all these large coolers make for longer engine fan engagement durations and reduced fuel economy.
I don't follow your thinking here. Wouldn't it 'raise' the efficiency of the radiator because the coolant doesn't have to cool the trans fluid down as much as it would be with hotter trans fluid? Also, why would a larger trans cooler made for longer fan engagement and reduce fuel economy? I would think just the opposite.

I run the 6.0 trans cooler and my trans temps are around 170° pulling my 5er at 70mph over the road with the hills and winds.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Um, ok Mark. I figured since I had the make and model # in there that you might have some useful input. Thanks anyway.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:35 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
the B&M 70268 measures 7 1/2 in. x 11 in. x 3/4 in

i used to run that cooler on my truck before getting a reman and tru-cool and though it was small by comparison and though i used to have the smaller hard lines,and though i used to have the lower volume front pump of the early '93 trans it actually worked very well and i had to install a 180 t-stat in front of it.
if you have a trans temp gauge,you'll find out soon enough if it'll keep trans temps between 175-225F.if it doesn't then you'll know you'll need to look for something larger.
it was an impressive cooler imho.if the trans shop didn't install a cooler,i would have likely just run another of those,cus i had perfect temps.the trans section of the radiator should take care of dropping "most" of the heat anyway.i think a lot of people are not researching ideal trans temps and get a bit carried away.these modern trans with locking converters are not like the old school c6's or something,where you almost could never get a large enough cooler.
Thanks for the info! It's much appreciated!! I was concerned it would be too small, but it sounds I should be just fine for my application. It has the factory one now, so anything is an improvement.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Um, ok Mark. I figured since I had the make and model # in there that you might have some useful input. Thanks anyway.
I missed the model number in the first post. Sorry.

I have no experience with that cooler. I know nothing about it's efficiency. I see someone else posted that it worked fine for him. I'd be concerned because it is not very large. The E4OD has less heat rejection than the later transmissions because it doesn't handle the torque that the later transmissions do. That might make this cooler adequate.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I don't follow your thinking here. Wouldn't it 'raise' the efficiency of the radiator because the coolant doesn't have to cool the trans fluid down as much as it would be with hotter trans fluid? Also, why would a larger trans cooler made for longer fan engagement and reduce fuel economy? I would think just the opposite.

I run the 6.0 trans cooler and my trans temps are around 170° pulling my 5er at 70mph over the road with the hills and winds.
the more coolers you stack in front of your radiator,the lower the efficiency the radiator will become because it will have reduced air flow and the air passing over the radiator will become warmed up from shedding the heat from those other coolers see?
with this reduced airflow and higher air temps passing over the radiator,the engines cooling fan will then need to work more too help cool your engine.
this is why it was wise of me to remove the large tru-cool from behind my intercooler and move it downward with my oil cooler below the front bumper.i could place my oil cooler up front because the tru-cool is so massive,that it's overkill anyway and it getting a bit heat soaked from that doesn't matter.
it was easy for me to see in real time as i run dual electric cooling fans with an indicator light in the cab.i could monitor and tell the fans were running too long and i knew i could fix it.this longer duration time started after the trans shop sandwiched in that large tru-cool between my FMIC and the rad.
once i slid it down low between the plow push plates,the e-fans hardly need to come on just like before.just when idling or on the hills.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:02 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
the more coolers you stack in front of your radiator,the lower the efficiency the radiator will become because it will have reduced air flow and the air passing over the radiator will become warmed up from shedding the heat from those other coolers see?
with this reduced airflow and higher air temps passing over the radiator,the engines cooling fan will then need to work more too help cool your engine.
this is why it was wise of me to remove the large tru-cool from behind my intercooler and move it downward with my oil cooler below the front bumper.i could place my oil cooler up front because the tru-cool is so massive,that it's overkill anyway and it getting a bit heat soaked from that doesn't matter.
it was easy for me to see in real time as i run dual electric cooling fans with an indicator light in the cab.i could monitor and tell the fans were running too long and i knew i could fix it.this longer duration time started after the trans shop sandwiched in that large tru-cool between my FMIC and the rad.
once i slid it down low between the plow push plates,the e-fans hardly need to come on just like before.just when idling or on the hills.
OK, OK, Thanks. That makes sense. My Mare in my signature is running warmer then the Mule in my signature ever did. I wonder now if I could drop it down to get some of that heat off my radiator. Thanks again for that explanation! Reps sent!!