I'm new and have an old 7.3l

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Teetriplefouree
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new and have an old 7.3l

Hello,

I purchased a 95' Ford F-250 XLT Rwd, auto e4od, 354,000kms (220,000 miles) in BC with the legendary 7.3l powerstroke, I don't know much about it other than that it runs ok. It shakes a bit more than my grandpas 02' 7.3l, but not terrible enough to spill a cup of coffee placed on the dash but I think it may be an injector, but might just be the way they are built. Could you give me some things to look for to ensure it's working good?

Here's some things about the engine: Oil was probably a bit overdue, had a bit of metal the size of grains of sand in the oil, the oil filter had no metal particles whatsoever, I figured that this is fine, I only counted 5 of them or so, then a bit of sludge. I also changed the top-end oil in the HPOP, didn't make much of a noticeable difference but will still help the engine live longer.

Blowby is fine, so the engine I'm assuming has good compression and started at 0°C without the block heater and two glowplug cycles with 2-3 seconds of cranking, pretty normal I guess. I don't think the high-idle works, do the older 7.3s even have high-idle?

Air filter needs a change, I can't see through it very well when held up to the light, any ideas on good aftermarket ones? I'm all for reliability. I also broke one of those plastic screws on the air-box so I just stuffed some paper towel in it for now to plug the hole. Let me know if there's a better way to fix this, the local ford dealership doesn't sell anymore obs air cleaners or filters.
Also, when I pulled the air cleaner hoses off, the turbo fan had a chip in one of the fins if I do remember correctly, what should I do about this? Fix it or leave it?

I'm not sure about the fuel filter, but I bet it needs a change and fuel bowl drain for a sample.

Now I did get the fuel pump replaced because it was leaking when I bought it, but my fuel mileage still seems awful. I've driven my grandpas and seen his fuel consumption on his 7.3, but mine is far worse than his. I'm also aware of the gauge only showing 17.5 gallons per tank, thus it goes down faster but still, it's either a lie or using too much diesel. I'm going to start doing some numbers once I fill up again, but I'm pretty sure it's using more fuel than it's supposed too. No fuel leaks or black smoke at the tailpipe so I'm wondering where it's all going! I also drive it gently, I don't have a heavy foot and I keep it under 2000 clicks. has no over-sized tires or lift, stock truck, I don't tow anything either.

If there's anything else you want to know, ask away. I know I missed numerous things.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya, where's the dang pics? We are all picture hoes here. Good luck with your new rig.II'm about to make another post and answer some questions you have

Old 09-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Teetriplefouree
Hello,

I purchased a 95' Ford F-250 XLT Rwd, auto e4od, 354,000kms (220,000 miles) in BC with the legendary 7.3l powerstroke, I don't know much about it other than that it runs ok. It shakes a bit more than my grandpas 02' 7.3l, but not terrible enough to spill a cup of coffee placed on the dash but I think it may be an injector, but might just be the way they are built. Could you give me some things to look for to ensure it's working good?

Does it sputter or feel like it's about to die? Or does it just shake? These old trucks shake a little but what you describe doesn't sound normal. How are the tires? Sometimes old, uneven, or imbalanced tires will make it shake. Also, check for dried mud in the wheels and front end.

Here's some things about the engine: Oil was probably a bit overdue, had a bit of metal the size of grains of sand in the oil, the oil filter had no metal particles whatsoever, I figured that this is fine, I only counted 5 of them or so, then a bit of sludge. I also changed the top-end oil in the HPOP, didn't make much of a noticeable difference but will still help the engine live longer.

The oil should be clean. Did it look milky or watery? Any dirt? Did the oil filter look newer than the oil? This info would help decide what kind of shape your engine is in.

Blowby is fine, so the engine I'm assuming has good compression and startd at 0°C without the block heater and two glowplug cycles with 2-3 seconds of cranking, pretty normal I guess. I don't think the high-idle works, do the older 7.3s even have high-idle?

When you say the blow by is fine, are you sayinh it has blow by?

Air filter needs a change, I can't see through it very well when held up to the light, any ideas on good aftermarket ones? I'm all for reliability. I also broke one of those plastic screws on the air-box so I just stuffed some paper towel in it for now to plug the hole. Let me know if there's a better way to fix this, the local ford dealership doesn't sell anymore obs air cleaners or filters.

The only thing I can think of is a screw off a parts truck, but there is probably some on ebay or somewhere like that. The air filter question depends on where you live. Do you have dust storms where you live? We could givr better advice if we knew what conditions the truck goes through.

Also, when I pulled the air cleaner hoses off, the turbo fan had a chip in one of the fins if I do remember correctly, what should I do about this? Fix it or leave it?

It can make the fan bearing wear out quicker from being off balance. They basically shred themselves apart when that bearing gives up the ghost and can tear up your turbo badly.

I'm not sure about the fuel filter, but I bet it needs a change and fuel bowl drain for a sample.

Its definately a good idea to do that.

Now I did get the fuel pump replaced because it was leaking when I bought it, but my fuel mileage still seems awful. I've driven my grandpas and seen his fuel consumption on his 7.3, but mine is far worse than his. I'm also aware of the gauge only showing 17.5 gallons per tank, thus it goes down faster but still, it's either a lie or using too much diesel. I'm going to start doing some numbers once I fill up again, but I'm pretty sure it's using more fuel than it's supposed too. No fuel leaks or black smoke at the tailpipe so I'm wondering where it's all going! I also drive it gently, I don't have a heavy foot and I keep it under 2000 clicks. has no over-sized tires or lift, stock truck, I don't tow anything either.

I can't help with that one. Someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.
If there's anything else you want to know, ask away. I know I missed numerous things.

Okay, what did the trans fluid look like and what color was it?

Have you checked the differential fluid? Its probably low

Does the trans have any lag or grinds? Are the shift points firm or does it feel like it being thrown into gear?

Thanks

Your welcome.
Let hs knkw what else you need help with! We would be glad to assist as soon as you post pics!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Get rid of the stock air box!!!!! End of story.they were failure prone when new.clean air is mandatory.that is most likely what damaged the turbo blade.that needs replaced immediately along with the intake.
you can do a tymar or commonly refered to as 6637. Or do some research and fab your own and buy the filter locally .as you i take it are in canada shipping will killyou
personally i would not drive the truck untill those two issue are repaired.
IF that turbo comes apart it can damage the engine...air filter. WILL damage the engine.
you need to get to the bottom of the shaking.my truck runs well but you feel the engine running but a duh duh duh feeling may be a miss.a buzz test will help nail it down.
the 2k mod will help mileage .that is keeping the engine under 2k rpm will help.also tire pressure,alignment ,front end condition,brake adj. will all affect fuel economy.i get 17 city and 18 highway.i have 3.55:1 gears.4,10 s can hurt economy.the biggest thing is no two trucks are the same.fuel mileage differs greatly between configurations,maintance condition and location.what are you getting?

Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
And also 95 is not old.i own old..95 is like new.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
I have a 1995 also.......The best of the 7.3s...

If you are talking about shaking for about 5 seconds when you first start it.....that is normal for the 95's

That is one of the things I love about my truck, with a 5 in open exhaust it will draw some looks when you start it with people standing around. It hits hard for a few seconds

The weak link in the 95's is the transmission.

As far as fuel mileage I am sure that your Grand Pa's 7.3 will get better fuel mileage than yours. Ford was working hard to clean up emission and increase fuel mileage in the later years before switching to the 6.0

The reduction in Cubic Inches was to reduce emissions and increase fuel mileage. Smart move........NOT

Anyway good luck with your new truck and have fun

All above is just my 2 cents worth and that is only worth........Nothing

Old 09-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Teetriplefouree
New User
Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
Let hs knkw what else you need help with! We would be glad to assist as soon as you post pics!
The truck didn't sputter or feel like it was going to die, heck, I need to make some videos for you guys so you can see for yourself. It's just happy it's running and decided to dance I guess. I'll check the tires once I get the chance to fill them.

Oil wasn't milky or watery, like I said, had some sludge, maybe a teaspoon or so? Not much for 13 liters of oil. I hacked the filter open and found an average looking filter, it wasn't a Motorcraft FL-1995 though.

It's blowby is a bit of vapor, not a horrendous puff puff puff, I did the oil cap test and it sits on the hole without getting blown off.

I'd rather get a different air box, I hear the factory ones don't work the best.
I live in northern Alberta, a tough place for a truck. It gets dusty in the summer and snows like crazy in the winter, salt on the main roads and -30 sometimes. We either leave them running in the parking lots or plug them in if it gets cold enough.

Do I replace the entire turbo, fan or bearings? Can I drive it with this problem?

I pulled the dipstick for the transmission fluid recently and it's that nice pink colour. I am planning on flushing the transmission even though it was rebuilt 12,000kms ago.

Just bought some gear oil, hoping to see what the differential looks like soon.

I guess the transmission 'lags' (engine spins, truck moves slowly) in a way, no grinds, it shifts a bit firm or hard, I will make a video on it shifting when I get the chance too. I'm not too familiar with E40Ds, but it's almost the same as the 4R100 though right? it shifts similar to the grandpas truck.

Thanks again for the quick replies, pictures-a-coming. (And videos)

Old 09-23-2013, 12:05 PM
INFAMOUS_RED460
Senior User
Glad I ran across this, guess I'll be busy the next couple months replacing the airbox etc. Fixing my 95. Trans is leaking on mine irritating, but with almost 400k I shouldn't be surprised. Glad you picked up a "old" PSD. Good luck with yours.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joey Fletcher
I have a 1995 also.......The best of the 7.3s...

If you are talking about shaking for about 5 seconds when you first start it.....that is normal for the 95's

That is one of the things I love about my truck, with a 5 in open exhaust it will draw some looks when you start it with people standing around. It hits hard for a few seconds
If your talking about the ROMP on startup. That is usually a bad transmission range sensor.