Tranny temps.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tranny temps.

Picked up my 2013 f-250 yesterday!
Driving around today I noticed the temps were 192 to 204f.
My 2006 would have been 150 to 160f.
Are my temps normal?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:48 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T diesel
Picked up my 2013 f-250 yesterday!
Driving around today I noticed the temps were 192 to 204f.
My 2006 would have been 150 to 160f.
Are my temps normal?
yes, from all the reports and what I have seen normal temp for this tranny

Old 09-11-2013, 06:04 PM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
Mine runs between 198 to 207 when warmed up, even pulling a 8640 ft pass today it stayed in the same range.

Denny

Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Thank you!
Made my day!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine runs 190-192°F all day long without trailer in tow. With a trailer in tow like my TT, I will run around 194-198°F. Highest I have seen the temp was 210°F and that was going up 5 mile hill on I80 in PA on a warmish summer day. Nothing compared to my 99 F150 which would be around 235 with the same trailer and same stretch of road.

IOW, 190°F is normal for the Super Duty.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question- Are you guys getting actual Trans temps from a ScanGuage, or an installed aftermarket guage, or what? I don't have the productivity screen in my truck either. I'd like to know what my best option is. Thanks

Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Mine is the stock gauge.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 22rimfire
Question- Are you guys getting actual Trans temps from a ScanGuage, or an installed aftermarket guage, or what? I don't have the productivity screen in my truck either. I'd like to know what my best option is. Thanks
ScanGauge and most people that are using them have them in their signature, like me.

As a side note, it appears that since these trannys have synthetic fluid Ford went with a higher operating normal temperature.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Flatbed Ed
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts
My tranny temp is 190-192 loaded or not. I live in Texas and use an Edge monitor to measure the vitals. It runs a little cooler in the winter. No trannys issues yet.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 22rimfire
Question- Are you guys getting actual Trans temps from a ScanGuage, or an installed aftermarket guage, or what? I don't have the productivity screen in my truck either. Id like to know what my best option is. Thanks
I am using the Productivity screen. My Scan gauge doesn't read the temps even after programing the code in. I have two more to fiddle with which means the last one I enter will work

Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
I am using the Productivity screen. My Scan gauge doesn't read the temps even after programing the code in. I have two more to fiddle with which means the last one I enter will work

When I programed the Scangauge for the Tranny temp it was... maybe.... 2nd to last in the list of x-gauge codes

Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ATP Pilot
When I programed the Scangauge for the Tranny temp it was... maybe.... 2nd to last in the list of x-gauge codes
That would be my next code to try when I get a moment to mess with it. I know with my luck it would the 4th code to try. Eventhough, I rarely use the SC2 anymore due to the fact the truck runs so well with a load in tow, it is still nice to see a number not a needle sitting in the 12 o clock position. I was thinking about making it more permanent arrangement for the SC2 in the truck.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
That would be my next code to try when I get a moment to mess with it. I know with my luck it would the 4th code to try. Eventhough, I rarely use the SC2 anymore due to the fact the truck runs so well with a load in tow, it is still nice to see a number not a needle sitting in the 12 o clock position. I was thinking about making it more permanent arrangement for the SC2 in the truck.
I have my Scangauge on a blendmount ScanGauge II 3-in-one automotive computer

I had it in my previous truck and works great in the SD also.

I used the extension cable that came with the scangauge and tucked it under the headliner, then removed the two screws on the driver side grab handle to remove the driver side windshield post cover. With the cover off I dropped the wire down the dash.

Underneath the dash I used the other wire with the OBDII plug end and plugged it in tying it up with some twist ties and plugging it into the extension cable. That way, I can un-velcro the scangauge from the blend mount and grab the cable end with the plug underneath the dash, should I need to use it on another vehicle to check codes.

The blendmount looks good and works great !!!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:11 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

I am pretty much going the same direction as your set up. I was playing with it up above the rear view mirror tucking the cord up along the headliner and A piller. I figured a piece of 1 inch wide on top of the of the RVM. The mount might be something to look at. As for the code, I was good with the 3rd one as well.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATP Pilot
I have my Scangauge on a blendmount ScanGauge II* 3-in-one automotive computer

I had it in my previous truck and works great in the SD also.

I used the extension cable that came with the scangauge and tucked it under the headliner, then removed the two screws on the driver side grab handle to remove the driver side windshield post cover. With the cover off I dropped the wire down the dash.

The blendmount looks good and works great !!!
ATP Pilot- I really like the way you have the scangauge mounted. My question to you and others with any gauges like this, does this have any effect on the Ford warranty? Is this a tuner of sorts, or is this just a way to read the mpg and temps of the engine and trans? I am planning to buy a new 6.2L shortly with the Lariet pkg. Does it have these gauge readings built in to the dash or does the scangauge give you more than the factory gauges? Lots of questions, hope someone can clear those up for me.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Tranny temps.