6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Who has gone from a diesel to a 6.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has gone from a diesel to a 6.2?

I posted the opposite of this question to the 6.7 guys.....

It seems there were a few guys that bought a 6.2 then traded up to a 6.7 because they felt the 6.2 was under powered.

I was curious to hear from guys that went from a diesel to a gasser due to issues and maintenance requirements for a diesel.

So on this side I would like to hear from guys that had a diesel and went to a gasser....

What was your reasoning? What did you not like about a diesel compared to a gasser?

I have owned a diesel and I really like them but when I bought my truck this year I had to put a lot of thought into getting a 6.7 or a 6.2. I really like the 6.7 and I wanted one (still do) However I have zero use for it since the heaviest I tow does not exceed 7k also my truck sits a lot because I have a company vehicle.

Those 2 factors coupled with the initial cost of a diesel were the major reasons to go for a gasser. Also it just cost more to operate a diesel compared to a gasser and on down the road the repairs on a gasser are much less complex and less money.

With all that said I love my 6.2 I think it has great power and pulls what I got without breaking a sweat. I think the mpg is decent for a big heavy truck. However I still have the want of a diesel just for the power factor......but I can not get past the cost for just a "want" and not a "need" I typically live by the moto ...you only live once and I typically buy things I dont need just to have them....but my concern is buying a more expensive truck having some issues with it that are associated with a diesel and regretting selling my gasser.

So lets hear what others have to say.................

Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Dave HM
Junior User
all the same reasons as you.

Plus I am an old economically minded pfart and I would never hit the break even mileage.

I have the 4.30 diffy and am totally pleased with it pulling my 11.5k fifth wheel.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 AM
aquasport17
New User
I am considering just that. My 2011 6.7 Crew Cab with 36,600 miles on it is in the Ford dealer as I write this getting a brand new long block motor under warranty. I lost an exhaust valve which dropped into the cylinder and blew the piston and rod - put a hole right in the motor. Oil everywhere.

You can see the video I posted here:

I have also had a failed radiator and had two injectors blown from the head due to faulty retaining clips. The truck has been perfectly maintained by Ford and I never tow anything more than a few thousand pounds once in a blue moon.

When I get the truck back, it's going to be traded. I am leaning heavily on the 6.2 because I really like the Super Duty compared to other brands. I don't tow huge trailers (I have a 6,000 lb GVW toy hauler). I bought the diesel because the 5.4 I had in my 2009 was a complete dog and I had had enough. Went for the big power, and big expense.

When you add the $8,300 sticker price of the diesel option, $150 oil changes, $300 fuel filter changes every 20K miles, $50 in DEF every 5K miles, and more money at the pump for fuel - and THEN you add the complexity of these new diesels so they meet emissions, it's VERY hard for me to justify another one.

I'm on the fence, because I love the spine crushing feel of the 800 foot pounds of torque when I merge on the highway. But not sure it's worth it.

I'm wondering how you guys are making out with the 6.2, which is what brought me to this forum.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 AM
butch50
Freshman User
I'm one that switched, in fact I sold 2 diesels when I bought my 6.2. I have had 7 different diesels. I have had all 3 brands. I am retired so when I ordered this truck my wife asked me "Are you sure you don't want another diesel." I just felt that I would not drive it enough to cost justify it. It is a 2011 and until this year when we went to Alaska I only had 13,000 miles on it and most of that was from our moving from MT to AR. and 5 one way trips at almost 1800 miles each. So I couldn't see it. I have only had to have my trans flashed for the hard shift into second that most everybody had back in 2011.

I am very happy with my truck. With the round trip of 11,000 miles with my truck to AK I averaged 10.88 MPG. This is with a 4,000# slide in camper in the back. I pulled a boat to MT on the way up and was hitting hard head winds and one storm after another all the way up. Coming back I was hitting strong headwinds from Butte, MT all the way home. This was hand calculated, the computer was actually lower than the hand calc method. This is also with my tires replaced with commercial 19.5 load range G (16 ply) tires and I can say they are heavy. They are the same diameter as the original tires so the speedometer and odometer are still on and this is comparing it to my GPS.

I have one time got a high of 17 MPG, this was a mix and a lot of back roads of 50 MPH and easy on the go pedal. I had the stock 18" wheels on it then with a 4.30 gears. The truck is a F350 CC KR with almost all of the options.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by aquasport17
I am considering just that. My 2011 6.7 Crew Cab with 36,600 miles on it is in the Ford dealer as I write this getting a brand new long block motor under warranty. I lost an exhaust valve which dropped into the cylinder and blew the piston and rod - put a hole right in the motor. Oil everywhere.

You can see the video I posted here: Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZbyGtW_FAg

I have also had a failed radiator and had two injectors blown from the head due to faulty retaining clips. The truck has been perfectly maintained by Ford and I never tow anything more than a few thousand pounds once in a blue moon.

When I get the truck back, it's going to be traded. I am leaning heavily on the 6.2 because I really like the Super Duty compared to other brands. I don't tow huge trailers (I have a 6,000 lb GVW toy hauler). I bought the diesel because the 5.4 I had in my 2009 was a complete dog and I had had enough. Went for the big power, and big expense.

When you add the $8,300 sticker price of the diesel option, $150 oil changes, $300 fuel filter changes every 20K miles, $50 in DEF every 5K miles, and more money at the pump for fuel - and THEN you add the complexity of these new diesels so they meet emissions, it's VERY hard for me to justify another one.

I'm on the fence, because I love the spine crushing feel of the 800 foot pounds of torque when I merge on the highway. But not sure it's worth it.

I'm wondering how you guys are making out with the 6.2, which is what brought me to this forum.
If you are worried about passing power with the 6.2 empty it's not a problem, if you stand on it will put you back in the seat. Mine weighs 8400 lbs and it will do 85 in a 1/4 mile, with 4.30 gears.

Denny

Old 09-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Powelligator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another poster above nailed it:

"When you add the $8,300 sticker price of the diesel option, $150 oil changes, $300 fuel filter changes every 20K miles, $50 in DEF every 5K miles, and more money at the pump for fuel - and THEN you add the complexity of these new diesels so they meet emissions, it's VERY hard for me to justify another one."

I'm about to pull the trigger myself on an F-350 special order and I went back and forth on the engine option. Finally what sealed it for me was a friend let me borrow his F-350 CC diesel to pull a flatbed car trailer back and forth from Reno to the bay area. On the downhill run with a Toyota pickup on the trailer, the diesel got me 12MPG, on the uphill run with the trailer empty the truck returned 14MPG. Certainly better numbers than a gasser will deliver, but for $8,300 more?

The 6.2 seems to be a really strong engine. If it turns out to be not enough power for me, then there's always the supercharger option, from Roush (in another thread below), that you can get for $6,600 and still not have to deal with the rest of the diesel hassles (oil change costs, filters, DEF, etc.).

I don't hate diesels, I just think that each engine has its place. If I was pulling fifth wheels back and forth coast to coast on a daily basis I would go for the diesel almost without hesitation.

Joe

Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Damn Aquasport17 that sucks! sorry to see that....well at least Ford is taking care of you.

I have heard the radiator problems and fuel injector system failures and I have heard about a few dropped valve issues. These are few and far between I am sure considering the number of diesels on the road.

However I have not heard about any catastrophic failures on the 6.2. I am not saying there is not but I certainly have not heard anything about it.

Plus my worry is what happens when the warranty is up? I tend to keep vehicles a long time....If I traded up every few years then maybe it would not be so bad. But when I bought my truck I do consider when it is out of warranty I can work on it and I wont have to mortgage my home for parts or an engine.

The power of the 6.2 is great.....as far as passing power it would be right there with the diesel from highway speeds. Both trucks are very close to the same hp and that's what counts from highway speeds....from a dig its all about tq and that's where the diesel is heavy!

But I don't have my truck for drag racing I have 2 cars and a crotch rocket for that....if I wanna go fast I have my choice.

I will be keeping my eye open for the 2015 models....if they direct inject the 6.2 it will be a significant power boost!

Until then I will keep loving my 6.2 and not have to worry if its gonna grenade itself!

Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Powelligator
Another poster above nailed it:

"When you add the $8,300 sticker price of the diesel option, $150 oil changes, $300 fuel filter changes every 20K miles, $50 in DEF every 5K miles, and more money at the pump for fuel - and THEN you add the complexity of these new diesels so they meet emissions, it's VERY hard for me to justify another one."

I'm about to pull the trigger myself on an F-350 special order and I went back and forth on the engine option. Finally what sealed it for me was a friend let me borrow his F-350 CC diesel to pull a flatbed car trailer back and forth from Reno to the bay area. On the downhill run with a Toyota pickup on the trailer, the diesel got me 12MPG, on the uphill run with the trailer empty the truck returned 14MPG. Certainly better numbers than a gasser will deliver, but for $8,300 more?

The 6.2 seems to be a really strong engine. If it turns out to be not enough power for me, then there's always the supercharger option, from Roush (in another thread below), that you can get for $6,600 and still not have to deal with the rest of the diesel hassles (oil change costs, filters, DEF, etc.).

I don't hate diesels, I just think that each engine has its place. If I was pulling fifth wheels back and forth coast to coast on a daily basis I would go for the diesel almost without hesitation.

Joe
AMEN BROTHER!

Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 PM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I did... had an 06 LBZ Duramax that I bought new in 05. Loved it, that was the best generation Dmax all around, good mileage, good power, no emissions crap other than EGR and a cat which could both be easily removed if you wanted. Diesel was $1.65 a gallon then. Traded it for a 2011 6.2 because I wanted something new and wanted nothing to do with the issues of the new ones.

The new trucks have great power but get so-so mileage, no where near 2X what a comparable gas truck gets, DPF, DEF, HPFP, #2 that's .50/gal more than premium unleaded and everybody knows the rest.

This 2013 is my 2nd 6.2L truck and yes I miss the low end of the diesel, but not the very high likelyhood of the diesel problems and extra costs. I don't pull anything that even remotely requires a diesel truck and you obviously get used to the way the 6.2 drives after a while just like you get used to the instant torque of the diesel.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:40 PM
LCT
Junior User
Great thread. Never owned a diesel, but always wanted one. That was a few years back when fuel was cheaper and no emission bs. As the regulations took hold and nightmarish stories arose, such as the one above, it became a no brainer to me. I will seldom ever tow in excess of 10 G lbs and the vast majority of driving is to and from my office empty, which is 2 miles from my house. This type of driving would play havoc on a modern diesel engine. I love the 6.2/430 combo and after 6800 trouble free miles I can honestly say she is driving more smoother today than day 1. I opted with Amsoil 100% synthetic oil (Signature Series) which is a 1x per year oil change along with a fuel additive (Pi) schedule every 4g miles, seems to be working real well!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
I would like to have a diesel if it were that easy, but now I'd get so much other sh$t with it.
Gas? There is still a bunch of junk hanging around under the hood.
I ordered a truck that will function as I need it to.
I don't need more, and less was not going to work out in the long term.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 AM
La Gasser
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Earlier this year, I went from a '06 F250 CC with the 6.0 PSD with a 3.73 limited slip rear end to a '13 F350 CC Dually with the 6.2L Gas and 4.30 limited slip rear end which has just over 9k on the clock now. To date the 6.2L has performed flawlessly. It has plenty of power to tow my 34' 14k lb gooseneck horse trailer. I just returned from a 1,550 mile trip from Louisiana to Tulsa Oklahoma pulling the above trailer - avg mpg for the entire trip was 8.9 mpg with 2/3 of the miles pulling the trailer - just pulling the trailer was 7.8 mpg; without the trailer was 13.0 mpg - all hand calculated - truck computer showed .4 mpg higher. I was pulling at the posted speed limits which was for the most part either 70 or 75 mph. Last year, this exact same trip with the F250 6.0 PSD with the same trailer yielded 12.7 avg mpg for the entire trip. So I'm very satisfied with the gas engine and don't regret not getting a diesel again - just too many issues with them and I don't pull often enough to justify the diesel. Based on how I use this truck, I calculated it was going to take me over 125k miles just to breakeven on extra cost of operating the gas vs the initial cost and operating costs of the diesel, assuming no major maintenance issues with either engine.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Good info here....sounds like everyone has a gasser for the same reason......I talk myself out of a diesel all the time...I still have the want due to the power....but when I start breaking down the cost and all the other bs that goes with it I really like my 6.2.

I am curious to see what happens in the next few years with the power since the stiff regulations are going to hit in 2017........I am also going to wait until late next year and see what Ford does for the rumored changes of 2015.

If Ford direct injects the 6.2 for 2015 I may have to trade in my '12 for that as long as they dont change the styling to something I really dont like.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Retread65
Junior User
I maintained a continuous repair/expense record on my '03 Dmax from day 1 until I traded it for a F250 6.2 gasser. From Nov '02 until Mar '12 I spent $11,744.33 on maintenance of the Dmax. 90% of the maintenance I performed myself including 1 injector R&R. First inj. R&R was done by dealer. When I traded for a '12 6.2L gasser the Dmax had 183,202 miles and needed another set of injectors, plus water pump and fuel pump were showing signs of "Fun to come" !
The added initial expense plus maintenance expense on diesel regardless of brand forced me to slow down 5mph and save $ with the best gasser on the market, IMO.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
This is a pretty interesting thread for two reasons.
1) is that I have owned the 6.0, the 6.4 and now the 6.7. I can no longer justify the diesel, and am noticing that most diesel owners feel the same way.
2) the market for small diesels seems to be taking off at this point. Almost every car manufacturer whether foreign or domestic offer one, or have one in the works.

So I find it interesting that new emissions standards have crushed the market that use them for work, but have opened the flood gates for those who want them for their efficiency.

Quick Reply: Who has gone from a diesel to a 6.2?