Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Elder User

jayro88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do I fix this fuel leak?

So I got my van running again. While doing this I noticed I was dripping diesel when it was left running. Digging into it I found I was leaking fuel from here. It is circled in yellow:
Click the image to open in full size.

Has anyone else had an issue with fuel leaking from here and is so how did you fix it?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Senior User

Dark Horse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check this thread for detailed Info:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/85...ns-w-pics.html

Mark
Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
Check this thread for detailed Info:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/85...ns-w-pics.html

Mark
Thanks. Looks like my next project will be replacing the fuel heater. I would just do the o-rings, but with my luck it would still leak.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
why not just remove it and put a pipe plug in there?
you really do not need the fuel heater unless you are up near the arctic circle.
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Freshman User

Nibor is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just put a pipe plug in 2 of mine a few weeks ago - 1/2" npt tap - plug it and I also did some jb weld for good measure
Old 09-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
why not just remove it and put a pipe plug in there?
you really do not need the fuel heater unless you are up near the arctic circle.
That is kind of what I was thinking. Just didn't know if I would have any issues with cold temperatures. We usually get a few sustained single digit (below zero at night) times during the winter. The van is parked outside, would I need to worry about it?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:33 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
my 88 has had the heater disconnected since it burned out back around 1990. never had any fuel gelling problems with it, and we get below zero temps here quite often. all i do is split a quart of diesel kleen between the fuel tanks when i fuel it up.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
yeah just jb weld it.
if you want a fuel filter heater,consider installing a coolant filter and wrapping the two filters together to kill two birds with one stone,or buy a universal heater blanket.there's no need to tell ford it's ok to charge what they want for that old heater by supporting them with those ridiculous prices.example:
https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/...lterheater.php
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Elder User

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Personally, I just disconnected it, cleaned the area, and filled the connector with super glue. Once it set(took /ages/), I haven't had any issues. This was over a year(year and a half?) ago.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 AM
Elder User

speedwrench72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
IMO to keep it original, the filter head on the 7.3 is the high point of the system, and the return line leaving the filter head has a check valve, and small orifice in it, that when the engine's lift pump is operating a small amount of fuel is always returning to the tank, taking bubbles from tank slosh, with it down the return line's cooling the injectors along the way, the return line leaving the ip never seams to have anything coming out of it when I pull the hose off and look at it. the check ball is plastic and has a ultra lite spring that will get lost very easy if you remove the fitting and aren't ready to catch it. some persons have said that ford put out a tech bulletin that one could omit the return line from the filter head, I have not seen this bulletin, IMO to leave it hooked up. or the only way for air to get out of system is out the injector line's. The check valve should keep the filter from emptying out, when sitting. when the o ring in the heater rots it lets air in the filter head..
Wanted 93 crew cab f350 idi... Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voteing on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well-Armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin... My Boy is a MARINE.... 72 F250 390 HI BOY 4speed.... 91 E350 7.3 idi..KF7POL
Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 AM
i ain't rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwrench72 View Post
IMO to keep it original, the filter head on the 7.3 is the high point of the system, and the return line leaving the filter head has a check valve, and small orifice in it, that when the engine's lift pump is operating a small amount of fuel is always returning to the tank, taking bubbles from tank slosh, with it down the return line's cooling the injectors along the way, the return line leaving the ip never seams to have anything coming out of it when I pull the hose off and look at it. the check ball is plastic and has a ultra lite spring that will get lost very easy if you remove the fitting and aren't ready to catch it. some persons have said that ford put out a tech bulletin that one could omit the return line from the filter head, I have not seen this bulletin, IMO to leave it hooked up. or the only way for air to get out of system is out the injector line's. The check valve should keep the filter from emptying out, when sitting. when the o ring in the heater rots it lets air in the filter head..
when it works as it should. but they very rarely work as they should. that is why ford issued the TSB back in 1989 or 1990.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Elder User

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
when it works as it should. but they very rarely work as they should. that is why ford issued the TSB back in 1989 or 1990.
Oh, that explains why a fuel bulb/check-valve, put inline, solves all these problems... It *should* have had one from the factory, but by now it's gone/broken!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrobb View Post
Oh, that explains why a fuel bulb/check-valve, put inline, solves all these problems... It *should* have had one from the factory, but by now it's gone/broken!
yeah.
Click the image to open in full size.
• Self-priming with a 10 ft. minimum lift
• Transient Protection
• Check valve
• 4 hour dry run
• Self-regulating
• 33 - 50 GPH
• 15 - 9 PSI
• VCA approved EC 95/54
• State-of-the-Art Electronic
• Sealed Electronics
• Reverse Polarity Protection
• Corrosion Resistant over 100 hours salt spray
• Durable Transparent fuel bowl
• Light Weight - 3LBs at 7 1/4”
• Low Power Requirements 1.4 amp on average
• Operating Temperature Range: -40F to 180F
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 PM