1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Well, I went and did it....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, we took the maiden voyage with the new camper this weekend. It was a short trip (distance wise) so it was a good shake down for the new setup. And it's a good thing I did too. The truck runs great. Power is very good, but boost is still sluggish and EGTs are high. I must have a boost leak somewhere. I was able to push close to 20 PSI with this setup before I installed the IC and now, it seems 15 is about the most I can muster. I was also seeing 1100 degree EGTs. Something is amiss... I had a cap on the little boost line fittings on the Spider and one of the caps blew off (I'm not surprised), so I'll pull the spider, drill and tap for threaded plugs in those two locations, then put the air pressure to it again and try to determine where I'm losing pressure. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Aside from that issue, I think this setup is going to work well for me. The ZF does a great job of putting the power down even through the 3.55 read gear set. The gearing is low for towing, but at 55-60 MPH all you need to do is drop a gear and carry 4th and power isn't an issue.

And just because we all like pictures, here are a few from the weekend.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Looking good Nate, nothing like a family camping trip.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
It was a great weekend, Glenn; one of our best yet. Being back to work today is rough, lol.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It's nice to getaway. Looks like a nice spot to go.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
It was a great weekend, Glenn; one of our best yet. Being back to work today is rough, lol.

Ya, the worst part of a vacation is going back to work!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a good time Nate! I need to get my camper squared away so I can use it this year.....hopefully.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Nate truck looks great!!! Looks like it was an excellent trip too!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:25 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
It's a great place to go and we always have a great time. The place we camp isn't really a real camp site, this is just a "Family Camp" on Memorial Day and Labor Day put on by the church camp that our church supports. It is a great place to be and we camp with about 4 other families that we are always next to. Between the 5 families there are 16 kids, so it's a lively time! It's a lot easier now that the kids are older and don't require as much oversight. This past weekend was as close to being perfect as they come. The weather was great, and we had a really good time. Back to reality now, but we're already planning the next couple camping trips.

Glenn, what would you know about "going back to work"!?

I know you did that for a whole lot of years, but now you're living the good life! Then again, everybody that I know who is retired says that they're as busy or busier now than when they were working...

Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Man that looks like great fun for the family! A big congrats on using the new box.sure looks like a good plan.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:34 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Thanks Aaron, the camper was great! It sure is a step up from the pop-up we had. The pop-up was a nice one too, but this is a whole new level of convenience. We used the on-board water and sinks and had everything but the bicycles inside the camper when we rolled up.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:15 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I know you did that for a whole lot of years, but now you're living the good life! Then again, everybody that I know who is retired says that they're as busy or busier now than when they were working...

When I was still working a lady said to me, "if you have anything that you have to get done, do it now because after you retire you will not have time to do it"! I looked at her like she was crazy, haha

Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Well, we took the maiden voyage with the new camper this weekend. It was a short trip (distance wise) so it was a good shake down for the new setup. And it's a good thing I did too. The truck runs great. Power is very good, but boost is still sluggish and EGTs are high. I must have a boost leak somewhere. I was able to push close to 20 PSI with this setup before I installed the IC and now, it seems 15 is about the most I can muster. I was also seeing 1100 degree EGTs. Something is amiss... I had a cap on the little boost line fittings on the Spider and one of the caps blew off (I'm not surprised), so I'll pull the spider, drill and tap for threaded plugs in those two locations, then put the air pressure to it again and try to determine where I'm losing pressure. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Aside from that issue, I think this setup is going to work well for me. The ZF does a great job of putting the power down even through the 3.55 read gear set. The gearing is low for towing, but at 55-60 MPH all you need to do is drop a gear and carry 4th and power isn't an issue.

And just because we all like pictures, here are a few from the weekend.

You are right, we love pics, oh man, I like those pics. The truck and camper looks awesome.

It's a lot easier now that the kids are older and don't require as much oversight. This past weekend was as close to being perfect as they come. The weather was great, and we had a really good time. Back to reality now, but we're already planning the next couple camping trips.

Enjoy your kids now, when they grow up, they dont want to go with you anymore

Yeap, Glenn doesnt know what he said.

We that are still working we know what are you talking about Nate

Old 05-27-2015, 01:59 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Yeeeaaa Glenn. My dad thought he would have lots of time after he retired...I see him less...and it was not much that I saw him before..

I think we need a camping pic thread...what do you fine fellows think??

Old 05-27-2015, 02:17 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fordman67
Yeeeaaa Glenn. My dad thought he would have lots of time after he retired...I see him less...and it was not much that I saw him before..

I think we need a camping pic thread...what do you fine fellows think??
One was started a while back....https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ping-pics.html

Old 05-27-2015, 02:29 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Check out post #11... Who's truck and camper is that? I don't recognize it?!?!

Quick Reply: Well, I went and did it....