1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Well, I went and did it....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:51 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 391 Likes on 268 Posts
Any parts stire in the "help" section.
get the correct kit there.there are several options.
pull the panel and disconnect wiring and pull out as you pull door off of the hinges.rebuild.rreinstall door.do not try to pull pins with door bolted on and rebuild that way.unless you want to repaint.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Man Bill, I am right there with you!

Nate, looking good! Question, what are those two **** looking things to the right of the message center? Also, um, do you like those bigger tow mirrors? If not, lemme know and I would be down to swap with you!

I think you got a a really good deal with the new truck! Stoked for you!

Originally Posted by fordman67
Any parts stire in the "help" section.
get the correct kit there.there are several options.
pull the panel and disconnect wiring and pull out as you pull door off of the hinges.rebuild.rreinstall door.do not try to pull pins with door bolted on and rebuild that way.unless you want to repaint.
Agreed. The pins I have I got at Vatozone. They're a 5-6 bucks a piece and you need 2 for each door.

Another piece of advice is to leave the part of the hinge that bolts to the truck ON THE TRUCK if you can. It's easier to do this in a vice, but lining the hinges back up with the door hanging on the truck is next to impossible. If you do take that part off, make sure you mark around it well so you can get it positioned correctly again on re-assembly. There's a lot of adjustment in those three bolt and it takes FOREVER to get it right if you didn't mark it first (don't ask me how I know this...) If you have a die grinder you can get the pins out easily enough with them on the truck. Or you can reach in there and cut the pin in half in the center of the hinge.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:58 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I made some good progress this weekend. I got a lot of the little odds and ends wrapped up inside the truck and got the wheels and tires swapped over from the old truck.

Slowly but surely I'm whittling away at the "to do" list. I have added some things to it this weekend though. The glow plug relay is toast, making it start hard even in the 50 degree weather we had this weekend. I think a Stancor is in order.

I fixed a small fuel leak too by plugging the port where the Fuel Filter Restriction sensor used to live, it was dripping.
I had to tear the driver side door all apart again to get the driver side speaker working. BOTH the wires for the speaker were broken inside the flexible section of the wiring harness between the door and the cab. New wires were soldered in and it works great now. I am rather impressed with the audio quality of the "premium sound system" as compared to the more or less terrible stock speakers that were in the other truck.
I found a small boost leak between the manifold and one of the up-pipes and was able to tighten the bolts up and I think it will be good now. You don't get that on a NE Ohio truck, lol. Lots of other odds and ends happened as well, but these were the bigger things.

Also, I have no reverse lights or 4x4 indicators and when I crawled under there I see no wiring harness whatsoever going to the transmission. In fact, there is a 2 wire connection going into the T/C that has a plug and about 2" of wire hanging on it and that's it. I don't know what exactly happened there. Does anybody know where the ZF5 wiring harness is supposed to originate? I will have to look and see if there is a chance I might have one in my loft.

The truck is at the dealership today to get the cruise control and CPS recalls done. It needs the air box recall done too since it has the one with the square holes in it, but the dealership didn't show that one for my VIN and since the truck will be getting a 6637 anyway, I didn't push the issue.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
I have some square drivve fasteners ill send you if you want them lol.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordman67
I have some square drivve fasteners ill send you if you want them lol.
Hah! That's SOOOO kind of you!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nate other than the Stancor I recall Tyler telling me of another GPR that was significantly cheaper and heavy duty as well. I cant recall the name perhaps he will chime in.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Hah! That's SOOOO kind of you!
Eh...just being neighborly hehe

Old 09-23-2013, 10:20 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Nate other than the Stancor I recall Tyler telling me of another GPR that was significantly cheaper and heavy duty as well. I cant recall the name perhaps he will chime in.
I'm curious what it would have been. I already have the Stancor ordered though. I know a lot of guys use either a GPR109 from NAPA (which is what I did on the last truck) or a snow plow relay. I figured I may as well do it once and be done this time around.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I put my ZF harness in I ran it the same way the auto harness went. Came down above the slave cylinder, back to the drivers side of the crossmember and then into the trans. There are two little holes in my crossmember for pushpins of the harness to go into.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah, mine I can see the clips from the harness where it was on the frame, but the harness is just not there. It goes into its own bulkhead connector in the firewall, correct?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Um, what are these recalls you speak of? Something I should look into? That truck is looking really good. I have always liked the single wheel one tons.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The relay that everyone is talking about is the western snow plow relay. A fraction of the stancor price and supposedly just as good. Don't have a PN unfortunately.

Truck looks great Nate!

Old 09-23-2013, 01:40 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I'm curious what it would have been. I already have the Stancor ordered though. I know a lot of guys use either a GPR109 from NAPA (which is what I did on the last truck) or a snow plow relay. I figured I may as well do it once and be done this time around.
you know... every time I read about this it reminds me that I need to install the one I got.

I purchased it when I was having issues when it got really cold (50's-60's) 2 years ago. but by the time it got here the temps had warmed up and I put it in the box with my tow straps under the back seat.

It's still there....

Richard

Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Um, what are these recalls you speak of? Something I should look into? That truck is looking really good. I have always liked the single wheel one tons.
If you have not gotten the cruse recall done, get it done ASAP. It causes trucks to burn down.

Richard

Old 09-23-2013, 01:46 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
If you have not gotten the cruse recall done, get it done ASAP. It causes trucks to burn down.

Richard
What?!! Um, ok...I'll call the dealer right now.

On Edit: Talked to the dealer. they show no recall and no records of anything except an extended warranty being purchased. Oh well. She told me it may have expired, but most likely the time period for the build date did not include that particular recall. Hmmm....hope she doesn't burn!!!!

Quick Reply: Well, I went and did it....