Well, I went and did it....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:30 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
No dice Jose, I wish I could but the new rear seats are two separate pieces that mount in 8 places and the stock OBS rear seats just mount with 4 points. My next attempt will be to make a flat bracket that bridges the gap for these different arrangements and bolts flat to the floor.
Nate, that was my second thougth. good luck.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Leatherneck007
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude that is sweet!!

Old 09-29-2014, 01:43 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm, I guess that could be the issue with my alternator...

Now if I could just find a replacement with a lifetime warranty that applies to a diesel, I'd be back on the road.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Ya Nate, that might have something to do with it!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:00 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Think I got my money's worth out of that one Darin?

I guess I'm going to get a NAPA Premium Rebuild alt and put into it. That's the one I was looking at before and I guess I'll go ahead and get it even though the lifetime warranty supposedly won't apply since my truck burns the black sheep fuel. Stupid if you ask me, but I'd still rather have this one than one from Autozoo with a lifetime warranty. I've taken advantage of that before and I'd rather not do it again.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I think you got your money's worth! I'd get mine there too if I were you. Jmo of course.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:47 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Picked up and installed the NAPA Premium Rebuilt alternator tonight.

I asked the manager of the store about the warranty too. This guy's been there every time I go in there for the last 20 years. He looked it up and his response? "I guess you don't have to tell us it was on a diesel if you ever have to bring it back in here. How would they ever know?" Lol. That's kinda what I figured he would say.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:17 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
Boy oh boy...that heater hose holder is sexy up on that beast!!!

Nice alternator too lol

Old 10-01-2014, 05:20 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Looks good Nate. That's how my napa is too. They treat me real well. The last trip I made in there I needed a massive battery and they put it through a farm account of some people I know to save me even more than they usually do.

You gotta like getting treated that way.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:21 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good Nate, but there's some ugly black circular thingy right in the middle of the valley....lol

Old 10-02-2014, 06:11 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordman67
Boy oh boy...that heater hose holder is sexy up on that beast!!!

Nice alternator too lol
Ain't nothing sexy about that under-hood shot! This thing is a mess under there. It's just an old work truck...

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Looks good Nate. That's how my napa is too. They treat me real well. The last trip I made in there I needed a massive battery and they put it through a farm account of some people I know to save me even more than they usually do.

You gotta like getting treated that way.
Yeah these guys are good. I'm seriously considering seeing what I can do to try and set up an account with them. I'd really rather deal with these guys and a little discount on the parts would probably seal the deal for me. They're a locally owned chain of NAPA stores. I think there are 5 or 6 of them all together. I'd rather work with these guys anyway. They wanted a pulley on the old one for the core, so they swapped them for me right then and there on the counter.

Which begs another question. Why the heck do all these rebuilt and aftermarket alternators come with the wrong (6 rib) pulley on them? Every one I have ever seen did.

Originally Posted by tshrager
Looks good Nate, but there's some ugly black circular thingy right in the middle of the valley....lol
That will be remedied at some point Todd, but for now, it's not leaking and it does the job just fine!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:16 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
The heater hose holder is nice...wha cha talkin bout Willis?

Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Ain't nothing sexy about that under-hood shot! This thing is a mess under there. It's just an old work truck...

Yeah these guys are good. I'm seriously considering seeing what I can do to try and set up an account with them. I'd really rather deal with these guys and a little discount on the parts would probably seal the deal for me. They're a locally owned chain of NAPA stores. I think there are 5 or 6 of them all together. I'd rather work with these guys anyway. They wanted a pulley on the old one for the core, so they swapped them for me right then and there on the counter.

Which begs another question. Why the heck do all these rebuilt and aftermarket alternators come with the wrong (6 rib) pulley on them? Every one I have ever seen did.

That will be remedied at some point Todd, but for now, it's not leaking and it does the job just fine!
Good question Nate. Now that you bring it up I remember that they did the same thing for me, changed it on the counter.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:29 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've gotten an alternator from O'Reillys that came with an 8 rib pulley. The only reason I can figure is that the aftermarket alternators we get are basically all for gas engines. The 3G Ford alternators used the same housing to mount on several different engines, including ours. That is probably why instead of sending the same alt out with two different pulleys, they just send one and make us change pulleys since there are a lot more gas engine applications out there.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:46 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
The one I got was the same way, with the wrong pulley. Thankfully, they had the tools right there to change it.

Nothing like changing one in a parts store parking lot. Engine hotter than all get out, everything you touch, you get burned. Sweat dripping down, it was a great time. lol.

I think Travis has something, probably a lot more Gas applications.

Quick Reply: Well, I went and did it....