1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Well, I went and did it....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm right there with you. I've had the cash for gauges sitting around for a while and I just cant make up my mind.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:49 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Thought about the CTS? Been real happy with mine and they are $300.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:56 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
FWIW Nate, my glowshift egt has been in for 5 years. It reads within 25 degrees of my autometer on the other side that is only a little over a year old. Actually Nate, pm me if you want, we can discuss this a little more. I've got a 3 pillar pod, and a glowshift boost gauge. I took it out and put in an autometer just because.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Thought about the CTS? Been real happy with mine and they are $300.
You talking about the Edge CTS? If so, I'm guessing it would more or less fulfill the same role as my 10" tablet and Torque Pro app. I want to put in some gauges that will let me monitor EGTs and Fuel Pressure, which I don't think I can do with the CTS can I? Maybe you can with the addition of external inputs, but for that trouble I think I'd just as soon have analog gauges.

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
FWIW Nate, my glowshift egt has been in for 5 years. It reads within 25 degrees of my autometer on the other side that is only a little over a year old. Actually Nate, pm me if you want, we can discuss this a little more. I've got a 3 pillar pod, and a glowshift boost gauge. I took it out and put in an autometer just because.
I'll PM you shortly.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
You talking about the Edge CTS? If so, I'm guessing it would more or less fulfill the same role as my 10" tablet and Torque Pro app. I want to put in some gauges that will let me monitor EGTs and Fuel Pressure, which I don't think I can do with the CTS can I? Maybe you can with the addition of external inputs, but for that trouble I think I'd just as soon have analog gauges.

I'll PM you shortly.
In all of my trucks I have 4 gauge pods and a gauge on my steering column. For me, gauges aren't really something I care anything about until something breaks or the truck isn't running just right. When that time comes, I want my gauges to be able to tell me where to start looking. With that in mind, I want a lot of information available to me at any given time if something happens. So I run boost, EGT, fuel pressure, HPOP pressure, and a scan gauge.

I have Auto Enginuity, but I'm not going to carry my laptop with me all the time and I don't want to boot up my laptop just because I want to check something. I use the scan gauge to monitor oil temp and voltage normally and I have the warning lights set as a shift light for when I'm racing because I have a tendency to want to carry my RPMs up to nearly 4000 RPMs or until I hit the limiter in some of my tunes. I just set the light 200 RPMs before my limiter. I like to monitor oil temp because I don't like to run my trucks HARD until they are above 180* oil temp.

Just a little food for thought. I haven't had to hook up AE to my PSDs at all with this stuff in the truck and I've broken plenty of parts. LOL

I honestly pay no attention to my gauges unless I want to know something. So really and truly my route is way too expensive when you consider I use ISSPRO or Autometer in my junk, but when I need to know something, those 5 gauges have yet to fail me.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
If you ain't braking anything then u ain't running hard enough.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
In all of my trucks I have 4 gauge pods and a gauge on my steering column. For me, gauges aren't really something I care anything about until something breaks or the truck isn't running just right. When that time comes, I want my gauges to be able to tell me where to start looking. With that in mind, I want a lot of information available to me at any given time if something happens. So I run boost, EGT, fuel pressure, HPOP pressure, and a scan gauge.

I have Auto Enginuity, but I'm not going to carry my laptop with me all the time and I don't want to boot up my laptop just because I want to check something. I use the scan gauge to monitor oil temp and voltage normally and I have the warning lights set as a shift light for when I'm racing because I have a tendency to want to carry my RPMs up to nearly 4000 RPMs or until I hit the limiter in some of my tunes. I just set the light 200 RPMs before my limiter. I like to monitor oil temp because I don't like to run my trucks HARD until they are above 180* oil temp.

Just a little food for thought. I haven't had to hook up AE to my PSDs at all with this stuff in the truck and I've broken plenty of parts. LOL
I'm right there with you Travis. I would like to be able to use the gauges to set a running baseline for how the truck should run (if I can ever get it to run right ) and then use those numbers to compare to that baseline.

I monitor a whole host of things through Torque Pro, but included in that are HPOP Pressure and EOT. I like monitoring that stuff through the PCM because I know then what the PCM is seeing and if I need to confirm that then I have mechanical test gauges I can put on it.

With the chip on it now, a couple trips coming up and still not knowing for sure why it won't run right all the time, I think gauges need to be the next step.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:13 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I'm right there with you Travis. I would like to be able to use the gauges to set a running baseline for how the truck should run (if I can ever get it to run right) and then use those numbers to compare to that baseline.

I monitor a whole host of things through Torque Pro, but included in that are HPOP Pressure and EOT. I like monitoring that stuff through the PCM because I know then what the PCM is seeing and if I need to confirm that then I have mechanical test gauges I can put on it.

With the chip on it now, a couple trips coming up and still not knowing for sure why it won't run right all the time, I think gauges need to be the next step.
FYI.. ISSPRO and Autometer HPOP gauges are electric and piggyback onto the ICP connector. It sees the same signal as the PCM, so whatever it reads the PCM is seeing as well. For example, the other day I was driving my OBS down the highway.. Just cruising and enjoying it. I feel a surge of power and the CEL comes on. I look over at my gauges and the HPOP gauge reads like in the pic below... Get a mile down the road and the gauge goes back to normal and the CEL goes away. And it continues to repeat the problem. ICP failed. I changed out the ICP sensor and all is well with the world again. I knew where to look for the problem as soon as I saw that HPOP gauge wrap around. Quick and easy. LOL. You can even see in the scan gauge that IPR DC % was only 14.5%. I sent that pic to Bill and just told him, got high pressure oil? Ha!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:18 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Haha! I guess too! It's always nice knowing where to start. That's really why I want to get some gauges on my truck. I need to know what I'm dealing with on a few parameters I can't monitor elsewhere. I just told Bill I'm about to set this thing on fire, collect the insurance money and buy a gas F150, lol.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Haha! I guess too! It's always nice knowing where to start. That's really why I want to get some gauges on my truck. I need to know what I'm dealing with on a few parameters I can't monitor elsewhere. I just told Bill I'm about to set this thing on fire, collect the insurance money and buy a gas F150, lol.
I feel bad I haven't kept up with this thread as much as I would like to. I'll go back through later and see where you're at with the problems on it. I don't even remember what was wrong with it originally. Lol

Old 07-03-2014, 09:30 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I feel bad I haven't kept up with this thread as much as I would like to. I'll go back through later and see where you're at with the problems on it. I don't even remember what was wrong with it originally. Lol
Nah, don't feel bad. Everyone's busy.

If you want the skinny on the issue THIS is the thread you want. Start on page 17 with post 255 and you'll be more or less up to speed. The previous 16 or so pages are just me chasing my tail...

Anyway, it's not like you're at a loss for things to do in your spare time!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
I was in the same boat Nate. I wanted to get gauges to see where I was at, but didnt want to spend crazy cash on it.
I got the GS package and had no problem for the first two years.
Now on occasion (typically reallllly humid days) my EGT gauge will either read 200 degrees high or won't read at all. I am pretty sure it is an electrical connection, but it still works as it should 90% of the time so I have yet to chase it down. I am sure adding some rtv and shrink wrap somewhere would solve it.

Overall for under $200(IIRC) shipped i couldnt ask for anything more.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:42 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
I was in the same boat Nate. I wanted to get gauges to see where I was at, but didnt want to spend crazy cash on it.
I got the GS package and had no problem for the first two years.
Now on occasion (typically reallllly humid days) my EGT gauge will either read 200 degrees high or won't read at all. I am pretty sure it is an electrical connection, but it still works as it should 90% of the time so I have yet to chase it down. I am sure adding some rtv and shrink wrap somewhere would solve it.

Overall for under $200(IIRC) shipped i couldnt ask for anything more.
I don't know if this would help or not Alex but my autometer gauge was only working when it felt like it. Its the second one that did that to me. I called autometer and he suggested I run a separate ground wire to the motor. I did and it seemed to help some, its a lot better but still wants to 'stick' or just lay on 400°. I added another one (isspro) to the passenger side manifold and it works all the time.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:52 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Sheesh! I guess I'm way behind in this thread and didn't realize it.

I ended up putting a set of 3 Glowshift gauges in the truck before leaving for RRE and thus far I'm pleased with how they're working. I'm glad I had them on the truck for the trip to RRE and then the subsequent trip to Michigan. It's good to know what is going on under the hood, even if I'm not really pushing the truck all that hard.

As for the missing issue, I swapped in a set of known good injectors and aside from an uneven idle now, I am about 90% sure that took care of the issue. I haven't seen it cut out once since I did that, though I do have a bit of an uneven idle when it's hot. It's not any worse than several others I have seen recently and can live with that.

The most recent project has been to swap in a set of leather seats from a 2003 F-150 Lariat. I got the fronts done a week or two ago, but was messing around with the rears for WAY too long. I'm not happy with how they turned out. They sit too high off the floorboard for my taste. I'm sure the kids will be fine with them (it probably improves their visibility) but I don't like it. I'll likely leave it for a while and then see what happens this winter. I could have just drilled holes into the floor and bolted them in, but I couldn't bring myself to drill 14 holes in the floor for the seats. Instead, I built a mounting frame out of a set of old sliding rails from a bench seat, which let me use the old bolts and studs, but it just sits up too high. At any rate, here is what they look like.

Front seats mounted to 40/20/40 seat pan and tunneled to allow the passenger side sliding mechanism to work. The front seats are heated too!

Fronts installed.

Rear seats (again, I'm not happy with these this way).

Part of the issue with the rears is that they're built to be installed on an uneven surface and they mount in such a way that they don't sit right when you put them in our trucks. I've got to come up with something better for these...

Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Jealous!!!

Yea those rears do sit kinda awkward and up high. On the other hand, with the kids leaning back like that, it may help put em to sleep... lol!

Quick Reply: Well, I went and did it....