1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Newbie 85 f250 frame off resto (Image Heavy)

Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
See if you can send it back, it's not worth trying to mess it up to plug those holes. If you don't plug them, lots of exhaust will be coming out of those holes.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's already been installed though, do you think they will take it back?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Piston Honda
It's already been installed though, do you think they will take it back?
Don't tell them it's been installed, just say it's new and never used. Technically it hasn't been used yet.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
I give it a try.

Another question. If I have a sending unit in my tank do I need the mech pump?It had both to begin with.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Edelbrock said that manifold is a direct replacement for the 4V HO manifold. That being the case the exhaust gas comes up through that hole and into the EGR valve itself. Lots of guys on here have made block off plates with everything from a Coke can to stainless steel sheet. You will need a gasket on the manifold, your block off plate, another gasket, and then the carb. And the bottom gasket has to fully cover the hole, as does the plate.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The sending unit, meaning just the float and resistor combo, is used with a mechanical pump on the engine. The in-tank electric pump usually includes the sending unit and you don't need the mechanical pump on the engine.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Edelbrock said that manifold is a direct replacement for the 4V HO manifold. That being the case the exhaust gas comes up through that hole and into the EGR valve itself. Lots of guys on here have made block off plates with everything from a Coke can to stainless steel sheet. You will need a gasket on the manifold, your block off plate, another gasket, and then the carb. And the bottom gasket has to fully cover the hole, as does the plate.
Seems like a lot of potential for leaks. Intake, gasket, plate, gasket, spacer, gasket, and carb.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
The sending unit, meaning just the float and resistor combo, is used with a mechanical pump on the engine. The in-tank electric pump usually includes the sending unit and you don't need the mechanical pump on the engine.
I tried sliding the mech pump in the timing cover today and it doesn't seem to want to go in. Any tricks?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
There are potential for leaks, but it can and does work. You might find a commercial block off plate that is less likely to leak.

The arm on the pump is hitting the actuator cam and you are compressing the spring in the pump as you tighten the bolts down. Turn the engine half a turn or so and see if it gets easier. There are points in the engine's revolution where the arm is just barely compressed and places where it is highly compressed - which is where you probably are.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 PM
martin72
Elder User
Trucks coming right along looks good.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
There are potential for leaks, but it can and does work. You might find a commercial block off plate that is less likely to leak.

The arm on the pump is hitting the actuator cam and you are compressing the spring in the pump as you tighten the bolts down. Turn the engine half a turn or so and see if it gets easier. There are points in the engine's revolution where the arm is just barely compressed and places where it is highly compressed - which is where you probably are.
Your the best! I'd be lost without everyone on FTE........let's face it I'm lost anyway

Originally Posted by martin72
Trucks coming right along looks good.
Thanks! I'm at a point where everything seems to be giving me trouble right now

Old 02-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Ok, so I peeled the intake of the motor and it's not that bad. The RTV should clean up no problem.

I believe the one I need is #2181. Before I order the new one, should I know anything else?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I agree you want the non-EGR unit, and if that is 2181 then go for it. I can't think of anything else.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
I found a spacer to use with the installation tool and I'm trying to get the harmonic balancer on I think it's all the way on but the pulleys don't seem to line up correctly.

I measured the depth of the stub on the back of the balancer and I don't think it can go in any more. Why don't the pulleys line up? Am I missing something?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Cole Neese
Senior User
In the top picture, is the inside of the balancer flush with the crank snout? I can't tell from the pic. If it's not I'm pretty sure it needs to go farther.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie 85 f250 frame off resto (Image Heavy)