Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
What paint did you use on the drums? The other parts look like Eastwood's paint.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Senior User

Piston Honda is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
What paint did you use on the drums? The other parts look like Eastwood's paint.
Dupli color ford blue engine paint and cast coat aluminum. I'm painting the calipers blue too.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Senior User

4x484150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.4x484150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Your thread has inspired me to get a garage! Someday. Awesome work, when I do my restoration in however many moons from now, I would like to follow your example.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x484150 View Post
Your thread has inspired me to get a garage! Someday. Awesome work, when I do my restoration in however many moons from now, I would like to follow your example.
Thanks! When we were looking at houses seven years ago we pulled in this driveway and I saw the garage I said "this is the one". My wife said" we haven't even went inside" " it doesn't even matter" I told her.

Well I didn't get any thing done on the truck yesterday I'm going to try and make some progress today.

Can anyone recommend a good paint gun? I need to pick one up pronto if I want to keep this project going seeing how the next step is to paint the chassis before I assemble the front end.

Btw thanks to everyone for the compliments!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Senior User

Alright guys, I'm really proud of this one. I tried out a welder I got a little while ago and made this piece up.

Click the image to open in full size.

I also made a dust trap for the blast cabinet. Hopefully it will be a little easier to see while blasting the last of the pieces.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Postmaster

FordFETruck has a very good reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a very good reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Bout2GetWhooped
The fabbed up piece looks great!

1986 Ford F-250 XL 4X2 351W H.O. Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE250H Cam, Comp Magnum Rockers. Summit/Holley 600 CFM 4010 4V Carburetor. 130A 3G Alternator. 10.25" Rear With Open 3.55:1. 232,000 miles.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Senior User

str8sixman is starting off with a positive reputation.
excellent job on the crossmember! i had the exact same peice rusted out on mine when i bought it, i ended up taking the crossmember out and turning it around as the other side was still good. not a proper fix but it will hold till i can get it fixed. let me know if you make more and want to sell one my way!

You can set my truck on fire, and roll it down a hill....and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Senior User

Thanks. I'll probably have to do some more metal work to the rear cab crossmember. Either that or get another one some where. Are all years the same?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8sixman View Post
excellent job on the crossmember! i had the exact same peice rusted out on mine when i bought it, i ended up taking the crossmember out and turning it around as the other side was still good. not a proper fix but it will hold till i can get it fixed. let me know if you make more and want to sell one my way!
It took a little while.If I charged by the hour it might be cheaper to buy a new truck.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Senior User

str8sixman is starting off with a positive reputation.
haha hey thats why we build em....its a great way to spend a little while

You can set my truck on fire, and roll it down a hill....and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
Good job! On my blast cabinet I use a $20 Craftsman shop vac with a drywall filter in it.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Senior User

We'll I had to take a few days off and do some other stuff but the blast cabinet works a lot better with the vac and dust trap set up, peices are all cleaned up. I did some fabrication on the rear cab crossmember, three areas on it were rotted.
I also sand blasted this crossmember again after fab but didn't take any pics, probably should have.

Cross members and shock towers are now painted and awaiting installation. I figure a few days and the paint should be hard enough to assemble.

Ended up ordering some better paint guns. They should be here in 3-4 days and the top coating can begin.

Next step transmission and transfer case!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Elder User

86fordtruck has a good reputation on FTE.86fordtruck has a good reputation on FTE.86fordtruck has a good reputation on FTE.
Good job, so far. Subscribed.
A work in progress. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-el-guapo.html
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Senior User

I started in on the transmission and transfer case yesterday. Took the transfer case to the local transmission shop to have all the seals replaced and the housing cleaned up.
As you can see almost all the gaskets and seals are leaking.
Don't laugh at me for using the hoist to move the transfer case, I have a bad back right now.

I pulled the counter shaft rear bearing cap off and half the needle bearings fell out so I took the rest of them out and taped up the hole where the bearing race is and blasted it, cleaned it and put all the needle bearings back in with assembly lube.

Shifter cover cleaned up, don't know if I'll polish it up a bit.

Does anyone know how to take the shifter off of the cover? I still don't know.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Elder User

truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If I recall, I believe you push down on the ring around the base of the shifter and turn to unlock from the drift pin...

Hopefully, someone will add to or correct me...(I haven't messed with trannys too much....Trav..
85 F150 4X4 XLT Lariat 351W HO C6 3:50 gears
76 F250 Camper Special 2WD 460 4V C6 3:55 gears. (Work Horse)
DRIVE A FORD..HAUL A CHEVY.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks