Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Postmaster

FordFETruck has a very good reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a very good reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a very good reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Bout2GetWhooped
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk View Post
I bought a horseshoe from Dorman for ~$5

Replaced it last year when one of the wires went bare.
(but the plastic connector didn't fail)
Wires were fine, plastic connector was gone. Terminals were a pain to deal with. I didn't know you could buy the plastic piece at the time.

1986 Ford F-250 XL 4X2 351W H.O. Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE250H Cam, Comp Magnum Rockers. Summit/Holley 600 CFM 4010 4V Carburetor. 130A 3G Alternator. 10.25" Rear With Open 3.55:1. 232,000 miles.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 PM
New User

callen427 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Click the image to open in full size.Are those parts I gave a picture of called kick panels? When I ask people if the have the kick panels they give me a picture of the map pocket panel that goes on the door.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 PM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFETruck View Post
Wires were fine, plastic connector was gone. Terminals were a pain to deal with. I didn't know you could buy the plastic piece at the time.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FSwdOgodCj4A8Q

Click the image to open in full size.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/donjamer/FTE%20Pics/blumax500-1-1.jpgFTE Fraternity of Blue Max
Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Senior User

Piston Honda is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ill probably go with the NAPA or Ford. Now that I'm not going with the dodge module, I can use the painless harness.

ArdWrknTrk, you mentioned something about having to cut into the harness. I've searched and didn't find anything. I did notice that the ford harness has two plugs that go into the module, one plug with two wires and one plug with four wires

The painless has both plugs but one has a three way port on it: brown wire to coil, white wire to solenoid, red wire to ballast resistor input.

The funky thing is there is actually four wires coming from this plug and the fourth wire doesn't go to anything. It's right where the wires merge and it doesn't show it on the diagram.

Also, the Painless diagram shows solenoid with two posts "S" and "I", instructions say if you have single post, as I do, then hook it up to that post.

I'm real bad with electrical diagrams so bare with me

Edit: here's a pic of the whole harness

Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Seeing this, I searched around and found all the connectors but the distributor connector. If I can find that one I'll just make a harness.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 AM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
I've discussed this before.

You don't need the wire going to the 'I' terminal of your starter solenoid.
That is for retrofitting older points ignition vehicles.
The harness inside your cab already has the retard function and ballast resistor built in.

Be aware that the red/white colors swap at that plug if you had a TFI vehicle.
When you connect it to a blue grommet DurasparkII module you should see red connected to white and white to red.
... the fourth wire is there just because the pigtail comes that way.
They should have pulled those pins, but they don't.

No one makes that distributor connector. (it's not even in the Motorcraft pigtail catalog)
It is the same as the red & white connector, except that the locking nubs are 'clocked' in a different location.
Just file the nubs down and run a tiny TyWrap between the wires and around the plug to make sure it doesn't come apart.

This may seem 'hack', but to me it's not worth $100 more than these three plugs and horseshoe connector cost.

All of these connectors are available from NAPA in their Echlin line, so if you are going to get the TP-40 module, you can get everything there in one shot.

I'll have to see if I can find the thread where I listed those parts numbers.
Maybe Matthew knows, I remember him commenting on it.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/donjamer/FTE%20Pics/blumax500-1-1.jpgFTE Fraternity of Blue Max
Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the information. Sorry if I'm repeating things that were brought up in other discussions, is there any way to bookmark threads or notes on the site itself? Sometimes it's hard to find things that I have read before.

I've got all the part numbers, thanks again
Old 03-06-2014, 08:06 AM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

No need to apologize.
These things come up all the time and there is really no way to bookmark or 'favorite' threads here on the site that I know of.

I know KsCop put up a DSII conversion thread that has been stickied.
But he does not have have all the different manufacturers and their parts numbers listed.

When someone has a question about their 2G alternator plug melting down I usually reply with eight different sources.
I haven't done that legwork on these DSII harness connectors.

NAPA numbers are EC72, EC127 and EC238
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston Honda View Post
Thanks for the information. Sorry if I'm repeating things that were brought up in other discussions, is there any way to bookmark threads or notes on the site itself? Sometimes it's hard to find things that I have read before.

I've got all the part numbers, thanks again
I haven't found a way to bookmark on the site. So I use Evernote and keep a list with hot links.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:00 AM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

Maybe I should reply to the stickied thread with the NAPA part #'s?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Senior User

I called DUI about the module and I asked what's the difference from the SMP module and theirs. He said that they are the same case but they increase the dwell to provide the coil with additional saturation time that provides longer spark and more low end power. Do you think this makes a noticeable difference or is this just a marketing gimmick?

I bought the coil and module "kit" for 200$, the module itself is 133$ so the coil cost 67$. It seems like quality coils go for 40$. What's the deal? Is DUI just way over priced?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
I haven't found a way to bookmark on the site. So I use Evernote and keep a list with hot links.
What's Evernote?

Quote:
Maybe I should reply to the stickied thread with the NAPA part #'s?
Ignition Coil Connector
Part Number: ECH EC238
Product Line: Echlin Ignition
IMPORTANT INFO: Female Type;w/ 2 Terminals;Black

Ignition Control Module Connector
Part Number: ECH EC127
IMPORTANT INFO: Female Type;w/ 4 Terminals;Black

Ignition Control Module Connector
Part Number: ECH EC72
IMPORTANT INFO: Female Type;w/ 3 Terminals;Black

They're a little expensive through NAPA 20$ for each module connector. The coil connector is reasonably priced at 7$

Here is a site where they're cheaper, but the ignition coil connector comes in a ten pack. The other connectors are sold in singles. 7-8$

Ford Clips And Fasteners
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Quote:
What's Evernote?
Let me google that for you
Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

Quote:
I called DUI about the module and I asked what's the difference from the SMP module and theirs. He said that they are the same case but they increase the dwell to provide the coil with additional saturation time that provides longer spark and more low end power. Do you think this makes a noticeable difference or is this just a marketing gimmick?
If the SMP module needed more dwell why would they also need a resistor to limit charging voltage when run below 10,000 rpm's?
It's bull****.
Saturation is saturation.
If you don't use the resistor, the coil will overheat and fail, because there's already too much dwell.

If you read the article I linked you'll see he says the same thing about the cheaper SMP box from NAPA.
The one I linked from Ebay is SMP's 'premium' Blue Streak line.
Same application, same manufacturer.

How do they "modify" a solid state circuit???
They don't do anything inside, they put a couple of stickers on the SMP box and sell it under their name.
... because everyone knows, racing stickers add horsepower!!!!

(I will probably be sued for this, but I am willing to call out thieves when they are ripping people off)

What about that $17 coil with a +$50 sticker on it???
Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
"Let me google that for you", that's pretty cool All this is new to me (being my own mechanic, forums and computers in general) thanks again everyone

All the connectors are on their way and the Napa TP40 module will be ready for pickup this afternoon.

Quote:
If the SMP module needed more dwell why would they also need a resistor to limit charging voltage when run below 10,000 rpm's?
It's bull****.
Saturation is saturation.
If you don't use the resistor, the coil will overheat and fail, because there's already too much dwell.

If you read the article I linked you'll see he says the same thing about the cheaper SMP box from NAPA.
The one I linked from Ebay is SMP's 'premium' Blue Streak line.
Same application, same manufacturer.

How do they "modify" a solid state circuit???
They don't do anything inside, they put a couple of stickers on the SMP box and sell it under their name.
... because everyone knows, racing stickers add horsepower!!!!

(I will probably be sued for this, but I am willing to call out bull****ers when they are ripping people off)

What about that $17 coil with a +$50 sticker on it???
In the words of Peter Griffin "you know what really grinds my gears"? This guy just straight up lied through his teeth. Oh well, word of mouth is the best form of advertisement.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 AM