6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fiver rollover, oouch!

Old 09-15-2013, 11:29 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiver rollover, oouch!

Looks like the hitch ripped right outta the bed.

Link to story

Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Driver error from the article...Well that rig looks like it might be totaled.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:24 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say you're right. I guess in a situation where (for example) a corner is taken too fast or a huge crosswind gust causes the trailer to roll but the heavy, relatively low tow vehicle stays planted, you have to wonder whats going to be the fuse in the system. I have heard of kingpins snapping (never actually seen it) and have seen several photos similar to the situation shown in the video. I would love to have detailed hitch photos to look at. That WAS a very nice trailer.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As stated on my other post - new rv, new rv'er, too little experience caused it...

and ANYTIME something goes on it's side I don't want it back....

black tank contents have a tendency to FLOW (YECH !!!)

and judging that the next video presented after this one was another carriage on it's side the moral of the story is don't get a carriage

Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I'd rather the hitch rip out or something similar give way rather than the 5er taking my truck with it onto its side, which I've seen before (in internet videos) even with bumper pull trailers.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Yeah. Definitely driver error...who makes a "quick" turn with a 5er? That is beyond crazy. Glad to see no one was injured though.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
This video came up for me after I watched the link

Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Must be up north - where they don't need the A/C....

Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I tried to rep ya but it would not let me

Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Wow, it's pretty impressive how little damage there was to the trailer. The driver had some pretty unbelievable luck with the hitch breaking away from the rest of the truck, that could have ended really badly for him. Out of all the rollover pics I've seen this is the first where the trailer disconnected and didn't take the truck with it!

If he were a commercial driver he would be unemployable after that.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Is there a way to cheat the install of a fifth wheel hitch?
For example, I saw an older Dodge several years ago with a homemade gooseneck hitch attached to the bed, for example.
I cringe every time I think about it...
I too would have thought the truck would have remained attached.
I've never used a fifth hitch so I don't have experience with how those are installed.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by kper05
Is there a way to cheat the install of a fifth wheel hitch?
For example, I saw an older Dodge several years ago with a homemade gooseneck hitch attached to the bed, for example.
I cringe every time I think about it...
I too would have thought the truck would have remained attached.
I've never used a fifth hitch so I don't have experience with how those are installed.
Not sure how the homemade was attached - u said bed which doesn't sound good!! - but we welded up our own gooseneck hitches for years - although we welded to frame - which u cannot do anymore -

But ours were as stout as all the prefab you can get now unless some goofball did the welding. My first store bought GN ball was in my 2001 - only because I heard they didn't think the new frames should be welded on - something About being "hydro formed"?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

I will add there isn't anything wrong with someone who, like you, knows what they're doing.

It was a square 2'x 2' plate with a ball welded in the middle (estimated size) with bolts in each corner going somewhere.
I can only hope it was connected to the frame but it still looked very questionable from an observation point of view.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I pulled a hard turn once in a cloverleaf highway off-ramp with a gooseneck trailer and 2 cars on the back.... Its not a pleasant ride, looking back at it I'm surprised nothing happened - nothing went over and nothing slid off the berm. I've had straps pop off my loads before in hard maneuvers but I never lost anything.

I will throw out there, regarding the custom fabricated hitches - there is a place nearby that does custom hitches. They are extremely strong. I've seen pictures of some of their installs after (unfortunate) accidents that literally pulled the truck apart. It can be done... Then the question becomes do you really want a hitch that is THAT strong? Or something that will break away? In the type of accident that would test that I don't know what the answer is - if the 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer (and the rest of the load) gets loose that can do some serious damage, but if you're in that situation there is already serious damage to begin with so what is the lesser of the two? One piece or two?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:17 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

My opinion, one piece. I would rather the trailer stay connected and behind the truck.
None of the options are good but if the trailer stays behind the truck, others are less likely to be hurt or killed.

Plenty of semi accidents where the tractor flipped with the trailer and remained connected.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fiver rollover, oouch!