1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

What I'm starting with.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 PM
ndfastang
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I'm starting with.........

Here she is. My 57 F100 with a 390 and C6. I picked it up this week and have changed my plans with her about 4 times already.

I really wish I had the 2 head light setup but the PO liked the 4 eyes. He also gave me a very clean and straight 2nd set of headlight bezels and chrome grill. I'll live with the 4 eyes until I magically happen on a 2 light setup.

The engine and tranny are strong and shift good and crisp. My intention was to pull it and put it in my 63 Galaxie and go with a 2V setup. I think I'm going to stick with this setup and put some headers and a 4 barrel on it. The front suspension has been worked a little. The hub assemblies have been rebuilt and I see that I have a disc brake setup up front as well as power steering. I'm not liking the steering and the ride with the leaves so I do want to swap an IFS in someday but for now, I'm going to put shocks on it and pull a few of the leaves out to get it down just a bit.

The rear is either an 8 or 9" setup. I have an 8.8 out of an Exploder and the IRS in my MkVIII donor car so of the 3, I have to decide. I think the Explorer setup is going in my 63 Fairlane with the MkVIII DOHC/4R70W setup. I have been planning the 3.73's for that setup for a while now. The IRS is a 3.27 gear which I think would do fine with the C6 here around town so I am going to put that setup into this truck. I'll either trash the 8 or build up the 9" to replace the one in my Galaxie. For now, I'll pull a few leaves out of this too to get it down a bit as well.

It needs some body help and the way the engine mounts were welded into the frame are less than desirable. I have some work to do but I like the idea of just leaving the body rustic and cleaning the interior, bay and suspension. I wish the truck was a nicer original color so I could leave it but oh well.

What do you guys think??

Glad to be back on the boards after all these years of just watching and dreaming.

Dave

Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 589 Likes on 529 Posts
Looks like agreat starting poin to me! Not only did the PO like the '58 grill but there are also '58 hood emblems. Always liked the '58 myself!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 PM
ndfastang
Junior User
Didn't know that about the hood ornaments. Thanks. I can't wait to get started on it but the Fairlane has to be first.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:41 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a '58 year model, which was probably Sold in Late '57.
Some states Require that the Year Model on the Registration, reflects the Year that it was Sold in & Not the actual Model Year of the vehicle.
And it does have the '58 Side Hood Badges it looks to me & Not the '57's.

Originally Posted by ndfastang
Didn't know that about the hood ornaments. Thanks. I can't wait to get started on it but the Fairlane has to be first.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM
ndfastang
Junior User
That's good to know as well. I can fully see that happening as when I was into the Foxbody car thing, Canada had Mustang/Cobra listed on their titles so everyone was thinking they had a cobra when it was just a regular old 5.0 GT car. Standardization is such a good thing In certain arenas. This is one it should have been mandatory in.

Thanks
Dave

Old 09-14-2013, 11:00 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
That is a nice clean truck. Looking forward to seeing your build from here.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:06 PM
ndfastang
Junior User
It's got a few spots that will really need work but I can manage. I'm not looking for a show quality piece. I've done the shows and magazine thing. The Fairlane and Galaxie will be for that. This will be my reliable daily driver. That's why I've decided to do the IRS in the Galaxie and the 8.8 in the Fairlane and find out what this has for a rear and go from there.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

More than likely has a nine inch!

Old 09-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Unless a P.O. changed it, the F-100/250/350's came w/ 9 inchers.

Originally Posted by ndfastang
It's got a few spots that will really need work but I can manage. I'm not looking for a show quality piece. I've done the shows and magazine thing. The Fairlane and Galaxie will be for that. This will be my reliable daily driver. That's why I've decided to do the IRS in the Galaxie and the 8.8 in the Fairlane and find out what this has for a rear and go from there.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Here's a few tidbits about the Ford 9 inch:

Ford nine inch differential cases +

Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I'm spending the weekend doing my IRS, because my extension from april 15th is about to run out.....Hated it......

Old 09-14-2013, 08:02 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm spending the weekend doing my IRS, because my extension from april 15th is about to run out.....Hated it......
Whoa! My condolences Sir!

Old 09-14-2013, 10:00 PM
ndfastang
Junior User
That's funny there.

I pulled the carb today as it needs rebuilding he said. Seems it needs more than that. It's a 2bbl on an adapter on a 4 bbl intake. The shaft on the carb needs bushed real bad so I don't think I'm going to be able to rebuild it. Looks like a new square bore is in my future.

Thanks for the 9" link. I need to do some reading.

Good luck with that extension thing. I have been done long ago with that.

Dave

Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Take a Look in "My Gallery" for some of the things that you'll need to help you w/ your project.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts User Gallery

Old 09-15-2013, 12:03 AM
frankcowan
Senior User
That's a nice truck and setup. Really like the chromies.

I didn't see how your engine mounts were attached to the frame. I could send you some pictures how I did my 390 w/ C6 if it would help.

Quick Reply: What I'm starting with.........