Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 02:50 PM
Lookinfurfun
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problems

Well, just got back from Disneyland. I got a digital camera before the trip so I will be able to post some pic's soon, but I need to get her started though.
Now the problem. On the way back, I'm cruising down the freeway and go to change lanes. It was a fairly quick lane change and the blinker only clicked once or twice. As I was canceling out the blinker, I happened to look at the tach and it dropped like the motor was off. As soon as the blinker was canceled though, it went back to the cruising rpm that I was at. A few miles down the road it happened again. This time I'm kinda staring at the tach while the blinker is going and within a couple of seconds I'm not hearing the motor and all the idiot lights are on. I start to pull over and cancel out the blinker and boom the motor is runnin' and tach is back. The next couple of hours I'm driving home and no problems. Keep in mind that the AC is going during the problem times. I know it sounds weird, but more to come. The next day I take the kids up to the store, go home and then leave again. I'm driving about 60 feet down my street, AC is going and hit the turn signal. It happens again. Motor dies and the idiot lights come on. Initially when I was on the road trip, I started of thinking of various posts that I had read and was thinking TFI. After getting home and it happens again, I start thinking fuel pump. When I turned the key on in my driveway, I didn't hear the pump kick on. I decided to go with the cheaper fix and replaced the FP relay. As soon as I turned the key, I heard the FP turn on and the truck started. WOO-HOO, I don't have to drop the tank for the FP. Now yesterday, I'm leaving work and pulling out of the parking lot. Motor is running, just turn on the AC and get to a stop sign and hit the turn signal and holy ***** it happens again. Motor is dead and idiot lights are on. Well, I got a ride up to the parts store and buy another relay. I'm thinking that there might be something shorting the relay, but if I don't run the AC and use hand signals, I can at least get the truck home. Pop in the new relay, FP kicks in and the truck won't start now. I can smell gas as I'm trying to start it but now it seems like I'm not getting spark. The coil is a new MSD TFI Blaster coil and the fuel filter is a new NAPA(both have about 7000 miles on them) New plugs and Jacobs wires with same mileage. I checked the schrader valve on the fuel rail and a little gas came out. Now with no spark, I'm thinking TFI again. What else do I need to trouble shoot? Where do I need to look for spark and how? What do you think it might be and why? Why is the AC and turn signal tying into all of this or is it just coincidence? At least I have the next few days to trouble shoot and fix before I have to go back to work. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Anthony

Old 07-03-2002, 03:45 PM
alkazoo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problems