6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Put the 6.2 to the test today

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireboater
Denny, are you still Happy with the 6.2L with the traveling that you have done?

Travel Safe and Enjoy!

John
Yes I am still happy with it, I think it's getting more power all the time, with only 4500 miles so far it's doing a good job. It does a good job adjusting to the altitude, it will be interesting to see how much of a power increase it will has in Death Valley but thats a ways off.

Denny

Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 PM
rvpuller
We are in Hurricane UT trying to figure out our plans from here with all the gov parks closed but we are at 2K ft and I have to tell you this truck has come alive in a big way. It turned over 5K today with 550 of that not towing so I'm guessing it may be getting broke in.

Denny

Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
I put my 6.2 to the test on Monday. I picked up a Raptor 367SE Toy hauler;
and brought it home about 190 miles. I had a steady 20 mph side wind, and also went through a freaky storm with gusting winds for about 30 miles where I had to slow to about 45-50 mph; not short of power, but the wind was pushing me around quite a bit. The 6.2 performed flawlessly! I am not a "gas mileage freak" but estimate around 6.5 to 7 mpg while pulling it in the wind.
Probably will get somewhere around the 8 mpg mark when not in the goofy winds.
All I have to do is to think back to when the 460/C6 or 390/ 4 speed manual was the best option we had for pulling the big loads!! We've come a long way, baby!

Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 AM
rvpuller
We went from 2K feet to 8K in 90 miles with most of it in the last 20 miles this morning and the truck did a great job, the manual mode is one of the best options Ford ever came up with.

Denny

Old 10-03-2013, 07:29 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
We are in Hurricane UT trying to figure out our plans from here with all the gov parks closed but we are at 2K ft and I have to tell you this truck has come alive in a big way. It turned over 5K today with 550 of that not towing so I'm guessing it may be getting broke in.

Denny
Hurricane, Utah I have been there before. You must be near Zion National Park. Beautiful place when it's open. My wife and I did a quick day trip there when were in Las Vegas in 2005. Around the same time to boot.

Other wise glad you are enjoying the nice ride. Sounds like some fun you are having.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:22 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ

Hurricane, Utah I have been there before. You must be near Zion National Park. Beautiful place when it's open. My wife and I did a quick day trip there when were in Las Vegas in 2005. Around the same time to boot.

Other wise glad you are enjoying the nice ride. Sounds like some fun you are having.
We are sitting in Jacob Lake AZ deciding our next move with all the Fed Parks closed. We had reservations for the north rim of the Grand Canyon that we couldn't get refunds for so we came up here anyway but this is the wrong time of year to be at 8K ft. We are traveling with a couple that are pulling with a 06 Duromax with the same class trailer as ours (also a HH) and we are evenly matched when pulling the mountain grades. If I would be a little braver with the rpms I think could pull away from him it it's not a race.

This part of the country has beautiful scenery buy I think we will be heading a warmer climate.

Denny

Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Fireboater
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Denny, sounds like the 6.2L is doing well for you,what kind of mileage are you getting so far while on your Adventure, also thanks for keeping us informed on how well your Truck is doing for you.Great Info.

John

Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 PM
rvpuller
So far it's around 8 with a lot of heavy grades and high altitudes. We are in Williams AZ now for a couple of days and I think most of our big grades are behind us, we even have full hookups for only the second time in the last month. I think I have the truck figured out and will post later how I have been driving it, to much happy hour today.

Denny

Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denny, I am glad to hear about how your truck is pulling the RV. I just ordered my new 6.2L 2014 SD F350 yesterday and still a little nervous about the switch from my 6.0L to the 6.2L. Just not sure how the truck will tow my 12K RV, but it sounds like it will do ok after reading where you have been to. We were in the same areas traveling in 2005. Absolutely loved Bryce Canyon, the colors of the HooDoo's where just amazing.
Anyway, thanks for the updates on your travels and how the truck is doing towing in elevations.
Too bad the parks are closed but enjoy the ride.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:58 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Delawhere?
Denny, I am glad to hear about how your truck is pulling the RV. I just ordered my new 6.2L 2014 SD F350 yesterday and still a little nervous about the switch from my 6.0L to the 6.2L. Just not sure how the truck will tow my 12K RV, but it sounds like it will do ok after reading where you have been to. We were in the same areas traveling in 2005. Absolutely loved Bryce Canyon, the colors of the HooDoo's where just amazing.
Anyway, thanks for the updates on your travels and how the truck is doing towing in elevations.
Too bad the parks are closed but enjoy the ride.
The one major adjustment you will have is the rpm coming from a diesel, coming from a V10 I had to get used to different noise at the higher rpms the 6.2 makes, it sounds more like a muscle car. What worked the best for me pulling grades was using the manual mode and keeping the rpms between 3200 - 4200. I can tell you from my experience on the this trip the 6.2 with the 6 speed in manual mode brings the fun and control back into towing. When you get your truck give it a little time to brake in before you make any judgment on the 6.2 capabilities.

Denny

Old 10-06-2013, 07:12 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
The one major adjustment you will have is the rpm coming from a diesel, coming from a V10 I had to get used to different noise at the higher rpms the 6.2 makes, it sounds more like a muscle car. What worked the best for me pulling grades was using the manual mode and keeping the rpms between 3200 - 4200. I can tell you from my experience on the this trip the 6.2 with the 6 speed in manual mode brings the fun and control back into towing. When you get your truck give it a little time to brake in before you make any judgment on the 6.2 capabilities.

Denny
You have to love the sound the 6.2 makes. I have been locking out sixth and even fifth from time to time. The engine just starts to purr at 2300 RPMs. When the pedal is pressed, the truck just takes off. My wife thought I did something different to the truck since she noticed the sounds the truck was making. The only "downside" is I lost a bit in the MPG department. That's from the volume of traffic I deal with plus stop and go locally.

Manual Mode is definitely the way to go with the truck while towing. I mentioned it in my trip report. My truck did fine with fifth and sixth while towing to SC on 3.73s. Tow Haul mode is where the let down for me was located.

Our next long trip to my knowledge will not be until Oct 2014. We will be heading to Disney World's Fort Wilderness. All our other trips will be within 3 hours of home.

BTW, I just turned over 65,000 miles

Old 10-06-2013, 09:37 AM
rvpuller
The only time I use the tow haul is when I'm coming into a town, I shift it into drive and take advantage the TH down shifting until we clear traffic and then either turn it off or go back to manual. I think the TH mode waits to long to shift making the truck feel like it's ran out of power when all it needs is to shift.

Denny

Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
. I think the TH mode waits to long to shift making the truck feel like it's ran out of power when all it needs is to shift.

Denny
I totally agree, TH could use some work. You really have to let off the gas or wait a long time after merging onto the interstate.

Manual works great on the interstate. TH for stop and go.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:01 PM
rvpuller
I really think the engineer's think we should wind the engine up to red line when pulling before shifting gears. In the real word that's not what we do or at least that's not the way I do it.

Denny

Old 10-06-2013, 03:32 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I really think the engineer's think we should wind the engine up to red line when pulling before shifting gears. In the real word that's not what we do or at least that's not the way I do it.

Denny

It also takes a long time in TH to upshift even after you come out of the throttle and are going a steady speed.

Quick Reply: Put the 6.2 to the test today