Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Senior User

tjdad62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ignition Switch Options

Guys and Gals,
I am beginning the wiring portion of my 1950 F-3 project. I will be using a push button start using a 2 pole start button. My question is, what kind of ignition switch did you guys use? I have the original dash mount switch, but it has no keys and looks like the previous owner may have used a flat head screwdriver to start it with. I want to keep a dash mount to maintain the original look and feel. I was thinking that a dash mount switch from a late 60s early 70s would be the ticket. Not opposed to enlarging the original dash hole to accommodate the newer switch.

Any help is much appreciated.

Randy
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
I bought what I'm sure is a "replica" of the original ignition switch. The PO of my truck had removed the original and replaced it with a 2 pole toggle switch.

Here's the right one for your '50 from Mac's:
6A-11572-B

Ford Pickup Truck Ignition Switch - F1 Thru F8

Click the image to open in full size.

1948-1950 Ford Pickup Truck Ignition Switch - F1 Thru F8 - MAC's Antique Auto Parts

Hope that helps.

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
You'll also need the cylinder and keys that fit that switch housing.

That's from Mac's also. 8A-11582-A

Ford Pickup Truck Ignition Switch Cylinder & Key Assembly - Has 49-50 Style Keys - F1 Thru F8

And you'll need the bezel to hold the switch into the dash.

Also from Mac's. 0A-11580

Ford Pickup Truck Ignition Switch Bezel - Stainless Steel - 1-1/8" OD - 3/8" ID

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdad62 View Post
Guys and Gals,
I am beginning the wiring portion of my 1950 F-3 project. I will be using a push button start using a 2 pole start button. My question is, what kind of ignition switch did you guys use? I have the original dash mount switch, but it has no keys and looks like the previous owner may have used a flat head screwdriver to start it with. I want to keep a dash mount to maintain the original look and feel. I was thinking that a dash mount switch from a late 60s early 70s would be the ticket. Not opposed to enlarging the original dash hole to accommodate the newer switch.

Any help is much appreciated.

Randy
So, you probably just need the cylinder and keys.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Senior User

tjdad62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Jolly...after pricing that stuff I will try the local wrecking yard since a switch there runs about $7 including the bezel. I might have to get a replacement cylinder if it doesn't have the key.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Napa has a good selection of key switches (and push buttons). I did buy an on-off key switch there for another project. It would work fine, but it doesn't keep the keys looking like the original Ford keys.

Dan
Old 09-12-2013, 04:58 AM
Freshman User

HBN is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck had the original switch, but no key. A local locksmith was able to make a key for it.

Dave
Old 12-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Junior User

Tilleyman is starting off with a positive reputation.
my ignition switch works with a small screwdriver, and I'd like to put in a new cylinder so I'd have keys, but I can't seem to get the old one out of the switch. Any tips?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Elder User

pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
My truck had the original switch, but no key. A local locksmith was able to make a key for it.

Dave

You have more talented locksmiths than around here. I took my old switch to one (he has been in the area for 30 years) to have a key made and he just looked at it and said it wasn't worth his time. Nice, huh?

So I took a three-position switch from a box of parts I had and used that instead. I have a push-button start and am looking forward to seeing someone try and start the truck using just the key. My starter button is red, same color as the dash and if you don't know what it is for.....well the entertainment begins.

Cruise night parking lot - summer 2014

"Can I drive it?"
"Sure, take the truck for a spin - the key is in it!!"
....futz, futz, futz.....
"What's the matter?"
"It won't start."
"Did you turn the key?"
"Yep, doesn't do anything."
"That ain't the starter"
...futz, futz, futz...
"A little help here?"
"Well, and you have to double-clutch it" (just to add more confusion)
"Huh - does that mean the clutch has to be all the way in before it will start?"
No, it just means that once it's running, you need to double clutch to change gears, they aren't synchonized. And throw that lever on the floor forward - it's the parking brake"
"Uh, OK...but how do I start it?"
"No, that's the high beam switch. Nope, that's the wiper ****. Yep, you're getting there, you'll need to use that choke **** to start it."
"All the way out - and this lever forward?"
"Yep"
"Still won't start when I turn the key"
"Push that button right there"
"Whoa! - jeezum, what did I do!?"
"You gotta have it in neutral or your foot on the clutch when you push that button"
"I give up"

My cunning plan.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks