1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KEY FOB? Stereo Replacement? Gas Tank Size? F250

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:52 PM
scottblogs
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KEY FOB? Stereo Replacement? Gas Tank Size? F250

Hi Guys, Long time forum user for other vehicles (Mazda & VW) but just bought a "beater" ford and have some questions!

This is my first Ford. It is a 1999 F250 XLT V10 Regular Cab, 265,000 km's (+/-165,000 miles).

Truck is great, so far very happy with it, but only had it 2 days. I have a few questions I am having trouble finding answers for!

- What is the capacity of the gas tank?

- Is it possible to get a remote, or keyfob as found on newer vehicles? The doors have power locks, but not sure if they are hooked to a remote? I have no remote for the truck, just two old copied keys. Is it possible to get a programmed remote, or key/remote combo without going through the dealer? (With my 2008 Mazda 5, I bought a spare on ebay, and programmed it myself, cut by a locksmith, all in for about $30) Any options here?

- Also, is swapping the stereo easy on this truck? My mazda was a pain in the butt, but doable - hoping the F250 is easier (When I was a kid I did my dads stereo in his old 1985 Bronco II - that was a piece of cake! - hoping somewhat newer fords are equally as easy!

Will likely have a ton more questions etc as time goes on. I became a pretty regular contributor at MazdaForum, will likely do the same here.

Thanks Guys.

Last edited by scottblogs; 09-11-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Title Change
Old 09-11-2013, 02:22 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by scottblogs
These are the official capacities from Ford:
[SOURCE]

Long Bed: 38 Gallons
Short Bed: 29 Gallons

This is regardless of engine or cab configuration. Strictly bed length.
Capacities do change a bit as you get to newer (2008+) vehicles, but these are accurate for your year.

Also, Cab/Chassis have different tanks. Irrelevant to your truck.
But most people can get more in the tank than the stated capacities.

- Is it possible to get a remote, or keyfob as found on newer vehicles? The doors have power locks, but not sure if they are hooked to a remote? I have no remote for the truck, just two old copied keys. Is it possible to get a programmed remote, or key/remote combo without going through the dealer? (With my 2008 Mazda 5, I bought a spare on ebay, and programmed it myself, cut by a locksmith, all in for about $30) Any options here?
You can buy a key fob on ebay, amazon, etc. Make sure it is the WHOLE thing and not just a shell. Programming is easy, instructions can be found online. It involves cycling the key 8 times and pressing a button on the key fob. Whether or not you have a keyless entry system installed, I dont know.

- Also, is swapping the stereo easy on this truck? My mazda was a pain in the butt, but doable - hoping the F250 is easier (When I was a kid I did my dads stereo in his old 1985 Bronco II - that was a piece of cake! - hoping somewhat newer fords are equally as easy!
Pretty easy. You need a radio removal tool which can be purchased online for just a few dollars. Use the tool and slide it right out. From there its up to you how easy or difficult you want to make it. You will likely have to wire it up, easiest is with an adapter. Also, to fit a Double Din or Single Din adapter, you will need to file down about 1/4" of plastic from the bezel.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:23 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm not sure if the V10 gas tank is a different size, but my '03 short bed has a 29 gallon tank.

As for the key fob, I'm not sure if every Super Duty has one. If it did, you can get the fob from e-Bay or my local O'Reilley's has them sitting on their counter at the register. Just make sure it's the right part number for your year. The one for mine is 2L3T-15K601-AA, but I don't know which years it's applicalbe to.

Stereo swapping in a Ford is easy (if you have a factory radio). For about $5 at an auto parts store (or e-Bay) you can get a stereo removal tool for Ford radios. it will look like two small horseshoes with notches at the end. Put those ends in the two holes on each side of the factory radio, pull outward on each one and the radio just slides right out. To insert a factory radio, line up the slides (after connecting the plugs) and push in until it clicks (locks) in place. If you have an aftermarket radio, it will depend on the adapter installed on how to remove it.

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
You can buy a key fob on ebay, amazon, etc. Make sure it is the WHOLE thing and not just a shell. Programming is easy, instructions can be found online. It involves cycling the key 8 times and pressing a button on the key fob. Whether or not you have a keyless entry system installed, I dont know.
You might be able to find the instructions if you search FTE or Google. I'm just spitballing, but if memory serves:

-Sit in truck with doors shut (I don't remember if you start with the doors locked or unlocked).
-Cycle ingition ON-OFF eight times in 10 seconds (ending with the ignition ON).
-Press the lock/unlock button on the remote(s) you want to program one at a time. The locks should actuate and the truck should chirp at you to let you know you've programmed the remote. You have a 20 second window to program up to 4 remotes.

One thing to note, any time you program a remote, you must program ALL the remotes you are using. Each time you use this procedure, the only remotes that will work are the ones during the most recent time. So if you have a remote and buy another, you must program both remotes for them both to work.

I think it's doors locked to start. If that doesn't work, try them unlocked. It's been a while, but hopefully it works or somebody else will chime in. It's sure better than a dealer charging you $50/remote to program them (that was the going price a few years ago when I was looking around).

Old 09-11-2013, 02:27 PM
tobyw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cycle the key ON/OFF 8 times in fairly rapid succession... If the door locks cycle, you have keyless entry and have enabled the programming mode. Instructions are all over the place online to program a new remote, which can be found on Amazon or other places for less than $5. I used this one to replace the missing one when I purchased my '03:

Ford Three Button Keyless Remote : Amazon.com : Automotive Ford Three Button Keyless Remote : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
scottblogs
Freshman User
Wow thanks everyone. When you say the door locks cycle after on/off 8 times - will this ONLY happen if I have keyless entry? Also any problems if I do this then do nothing (thinking that is how I can check to see if there is keyless entry at all on the truck).

How long is a long bed? I believe my bed is 8 feet - I assume that is a long bed? (doubt there are longer?) 29 or 39 gallons make way more sense. Some research I did showed it had a 60 gallon tank and I found that hard to believe. Truck had 3/4 of a tank of gas when I bought it, but will fill it to full when I get low to get an idea of what it will take.

I don't plan on driving it much, mostly for dump runs, picking up top soil & gravel, etc. Was looking for a major beater for around $1000 CDN and found this for $3000 in amazing condition and could not pass it up. Plus I hear it can tow just about anything which might come in handy some day.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 AM
tobyw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow thanks everyone. When you say the door locks cycle after on/off 8 times - will this ONLY happen if I have keyless entry?
Yes

Also any problems if I do this then do nothing (thinking that is how I can check to see if there is keyless entry at all on the truck).
No

How long is a long bed? I believe my bed is 8 feet - I assume that is a long bed?
8' is correct for long box.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:55 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Scottblogs,

If you figure out your truck does have keyless entry, pm me with your name and address. My truck does not have that feature and I happen to have a fob that I don't need. I'll mail it to you. Not sure if the Battery is still good, but, that's an easy fix and it'll save you from a possible screwing on ebay.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
scottblogs
Freshman User
Originally Posted by atomicglock
Scottblogs,

If you figure out your truck does have keyless entry, pm me with your name and address. My truck does not have that feature and I happen to have a fob that I don't need. I'll mail it to you. Not sure if the Battery is still good, but, that's an easy fix and it'll save you from a possible screwing on ebay.

Awesome, thx. I will find out this weekend, been crazy busy - even too busy to just sit in the truck and turn the key 8 times!