Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Senior User

GamerGirlAlice is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.GamerGirlAlice is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
alice.arthington GamerGirlAlice GamerGirlAlice GamerGirlAlice
Mount a 64-70 Steering Wheel on 71-72 Truck with Ididit Tilt Column?

this s a very specific question i am guessing and even sent a msg to a Ididit. i am thinking of installing of installing a Ididit Tilt Column Shift in my 71 f250 to fix lots problems in my stock column. and i was wondering if it is possible to mount a 64-70 steering wheel to that column. i just like the look of the steering wheels classic look. the 71-72 wheels just don't match the truck style in my eyes. i know i can get a aftermarket wheel but i'd like a oem looking wheel if i can.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Postmaster

jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
Hope you get a response from Ididit but don't hold your breath. Like all of the other after market column makers they think every body has a chevrolet , that's what the copied after. I think just the adapter for ford wheel to chevy shaft will do that , but i have no idea how it will blend in to the column hub. Maybe you will get lucky and Ididit will help , good luck .__

35 chevy street rod 200 4/R , 350 crate engine.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Postmaster

JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.
Hi there Gamer. 2X Jim. The spline and spacing for the 70 and 71 wheels are the same. Once you get the adaptor Jim was talking about the column wouldn't care which of the two you install. As long as you order the correct Bump column. 4x2 or 4x4, p/s or non p/s, and a/t or not.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Senior User

GamerGirlAlice is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.GamerGirlAlice is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
well got a reply and it figures. but since my auto is on the column it won't work. here is the msg they sent me. i suppose i can get a leather wrapped chromed billet wheel still.

Quote:
Subject: RE: Technical Help Contact Request

Hi Alice, we don't have a column shift column with the Ford top shaft. We do have it in the floor shift version, which would accept your stock style steering wheel. If you can find that steering wheel with the ability to adapt to the GM top shaft spline [ 11/16' x 36 spline shaft ] it would work with our column shift column. Thanks Terry
Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Postmaster

jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
Yep , like i said all of the aftermarket column builders think ever body owns a Chevrolet. I have never understood why some of them don't do the Ford or Mopar ones.__

35 chevy street rod 200 4/R , 350 crate engine.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Senior User

chevy all u need is something so u can title it then mail order everything else, even a frame. i been a ford girl most my life but sometimes i wonder why chevy so much more poular
Old 09-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Posting Guru

bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree the 71-77 wasn't the best looking sterring wheel I like my 68s but I got a 79 column so I have the stock 79 wheel on .I think its because chevy stuff is cheap and very universal.A trans from a 250 6 cyl. will bolt to a 454.2 style water pumps for the small block.And they don't change stuff often.I like my Fords there different...
Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Junior User

mkoch96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would assume they don't worry about making a bunch of different top shafts because they figure that almost everyone that is going to be using an aftermarket steering column is also going to be using an aftermarket wheel. And in that case, the GM top shaft is probably the most common one in existance.
1981 Olds Cutlass Calais T-top
2007 Bob Pierce dirt open-wheel Modified race car
Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks