Sponsored by: DP Tuner

waytallwhitey's engine pull pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
waytallwhitey's engine pull pics

Daisy and I are in upstate NY at John's place pulling the engine out of Frank's (waytallwhitey) truck for an oil pan and stuff. I'll post more later - already stayed up tooo late visiting with John.... Here's a couple pics for ya though!!

What it used to look like:

Still pretty good here:

Uh oh...

Does anybody know how to put one of these back together?? I hope Frank has good insurance.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:37 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Man you flat out don't mess around when it comes to yanking a motor. What is that were the turbo mounts? Thanks for postin pics and sharing what's going on.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Man you flat out don't mess around when it comes to yanking a motor. What is that were the turbo mounts? Thanks for postin pics and sharing what's going on.
That's the 'bucket mod'. It helps keep track of nuts and bolts that have been removed from the engine. We had it out picking thru the engine to trans bolts so we could bolt engine to stand.

Today, engine and engine bay will get cleaned and painted, then we'll flip engine over for oil pan replacement.

Oh yeah, looks like we are gonna need a new CAC. This may explain max of 10psi boost (truck is ALL stock):

Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 AM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Nice very Nice. Was wondering yesturdee how the trip was going.

Later

Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Subscribed and interested....

Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How come you took off the front end?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty
How come you took off the front end?
Low ceiling in the shop... You know how I roll - I make it work with what I have!! At least I'm not on the side of the road - remember Alex in AK??

I'm having a BLAST so far. As rusty as this thing is, everything has been easy so far. Toooo easy. This place is beautiful - even though it is unseasonably WARM - I'm enjoying time with friends and getting to give Frank his truck the kind of love it can't get at the 'mechanic'. He will be PROUD of this thing when he sees it next!!

Old 09-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Feeling that twitch come back...
Even tho i just buttoned up TXtinct... wanna yank another one...

Just so dang hot down here in South Republic.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Reps Jason. You guys are so quick at this, need to put some injectors, springs and turbo on this before you return it. You can tell him it was the oil pan that slowed it down.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing to this too

Old 09-11-2013, 08:00 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Oh yeah, looks like we are gonna need a new CAC. This may explain max of 10psi boost (truck is ALL stock):

Is that the front or the back of the IC? Any idea what perforated it? Seems like a well protected location.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Punisher29073
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was wrong with the oil pan?

Ryan

Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Is that the front or the back of the IC? Any idea what perforated it? Seems like a well protected location.
After we cleaned it up - there is nothing obvious... Maybe a trans cooler line leak? I was suspicious because the boost was LOW during test drive before engine extraction. Boots were all tight and turbo looks fine.

Originally Posted by Punisher29073
What was wrong with the oil pan?

Ryan
Well, for some reason everything up here RUSTS AWAY eventually. The oil pans take a beating because they get sandblasted with road salt and gravel, coated in mud and then heated/cooled on a regular basis. Once the thin factory powder coat is compromised - the end has begun.

The new pan has truck bedliner coating on it and I bet the owner becomes more attentive to keeping it clean and touching up the paint as needed.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Feeling that twitch come back...
Even tho i just buttoned up TXtinct... wanna yank another one...

Just so dang hot down here in South Republic.
Lemme know if ya find a pill for that twitch!! This is still a LOT of work...

And wouldn't ya freakin' know it is HOT and HUMID up here right now!!!! It's much cooler at my house. I'm drinking a gallon of water a day and still melting. Not at all what I expected!

Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Reps Jason. You guys are so quick at this, need to put some injectors, springs and turbo on this before you return it. You can tell him it was the oil pan that slowed it down.
Lol. Yes, my standard recommendation anymore is at least 238/100's, T4/S468 and the 'supporting mods'. But Frank would never even know it was there. This is not a hot rod or a heavy hauler - just transportation for a 6'-7" tall guy. He loves his truck, because it FITS. And because it runs on WVO!

I don't mind fixing one up 'stock'. There is something to be said for how smooth and quiet a stock truck is. Its always nice to hear something run RIGHT. It also helps if it LOOKS GOOD!! Dunno if it'll run right yet - but it WILL look good!

Old 09-11-2013, 10:31 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Engine got p-washed today to remove rust scale and finish degreasing it, then hauled back into the shop and placed on the engine stand. The truck was drug out and the engine bay descaled and degreased as well.

Up-pipe to manifold bolts were rusted to paper-thin and were NEVER coming out, so we decided to remove the exhaust manifolds. ONE bolt came out with a wrench... The rest came out with help from our friends oxygen and acetylene. The bolts all came out of heads pretty easily, but a couple required some thermal persuasion from the MAP gas torch. We decided we'd at least try to extract the bolts from the manifolds. I'll be damned if we didn't get them all out!!! Unbelievable - seriously....

I am more of a believer in Kroil than ever!! Every bolt I thought I might be removing got hosed down the minute I saw the truck, and I sprayed them all again a few times for good measure. Its miracle stuff.

The new oil pan got bedliner applied and I really wanted to install it today, but we are still waiting for sealant, dipstick thingy, etc. We did get new SS fuel lines and some other goodies from www.veggiegarage.com and a box from Riffraff.

Tomorrow we'll rebuild the turbo and pedestal, paint the engine, paint the engine bay, (source a new CAC?), install new GP's and hopefully get the parts to rebuild oil cooler and re-install the oil pan...

Quick Reply: waytallwhitey's engine pull pics