Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2013, 07:20 PM
New User

AVE8R is starting off with a positive reputation.
P0088 Code - Limping Performance

I have a 2010 Ford F-350 King Ranch 6.4L 4x4 DRW.

The cruise control stopped working, the truck was limping on initial acceleration, couldn't get past 50 MPH, and a scanner is showing a code: P0088 - Fuel Rail Pressure Too High. My understanding is that this code suggests that the high-pressure fuel pump (HPFP) could be failing.

I've changed both fuel filters at least every 10,000, and it has only been roughly 6,000 since both were changed. I drain the sump every two weeks, and I've yet to see any water. The truck has 36,120 miles.

The procedure to address this issue had been a cab off replacement of the HPFP. However, it is my understanding that Ford's procedure is now to just re-flash to correct the problem. I understand that the re-flash simply widens the parameters on the fuel rail pressure. I've listed Ford's procedure below.

Does anyone have any experience with this re-flash to get rid of the P0088 code and the limping? If this re-flash widens the parameters and the fuel pump can take the strain, I have no problem with the re-flash. However, if it is just masking the symptoms of a failing HPFP, then I am hopeful someone can offer some guidance as to how I can persuade Ford to replace the HPFP.

Is the re-flash a dependable fix?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

6.4L - LACK OF POWER - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0088

Publication Date: July 17, 2012[/color]

FORD:
2008-2010 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 11-4-22 to update the Service Procedure. ISSUE:

Some F-Super Duty 250-550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power concern with an intermittent DTC P0088; at full operating temperature during moderate to heavy acceleration. A calibration update is available to resolve this concern.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Intermittent P0088 diagnostics:

Check all continuous memory DTCs. Is DTC P0088 the only code present?
No - this article does not apply, refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual to diagnose this concern.
Yes - continue to Step 2
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 79.05 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:55 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I had the code in April of this year. Did the tsb and all was fine till last month. It came back so I had the hpfp replaced.

This was all due to high fuel demand and heavy towing.

I am pretty sure it has more to due with the VCV then the actually hpfp. My hpfp was pristine otherwise.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
I had the code in April of this year. Did the tsb and all was fine till last month. It came back so I had the hpfp replaced.

This was all due to high fuel demand and heavy towing.

I am pretty sure it has more to due with the VCV then the actually hpfp. My hpfp was pristine otherwise.
Thanks. What is the VCV?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Senior User

countryboy73703 is starting off with a positive reputation.
my friends dad has a 2010 6.4, and was having the same exact issue for a week, so they called me to see if I could help them out. before I could get back to them it ended up going away, but I gave them the information that I found on here anyways just incase the problem came back again. if it does come back, and he takes my advice on the re-flash I'll be sure to post up and let you guys know if it fixed the issue for your own knowledge.
Spartan tuned, 4" turbo back straight pipe, RC 3" front and 2 in" back lift/level kit with 37" Mickey Thompson's, Painted fender badges, smoked tail lights, blacked out head lights, kenwood touch screen with back up cam ... More to come

Active Duty Navy - Machinest Mate 2nd Class
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Postmaster

vloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud of
Theres no such thing as a one procedure fixes all. Some it fixes, some it doesnt. Proper thing to do is get the flash first.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
VCV= Variable Control Valve

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Postmaster

vloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud of
Quote:
VCV= Variable Control Valve
VCV= volume control valve
Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vloney View Post
VCV= volume control valve
Duh...thanks for the correction

Old 09-16-2013, 01:44 PM
New User

I'm at the Ford dealership to have my P0088 code diagnosed. They are showing the code. Their solution is to do the reflash. Has anyone had any experience with this reflash? Is it dependable, or should I expect the HPFP to self-destruct in the near future? Does anyone know if there is a way to get Ford to do the right thing and replace the HPFP before it starts sending metal through the fuel system?

Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Senior User

countryboy73703 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My friends dad said that the dealer didnt know what he was talking about with the re flash , and how friend/machanic said it was a 4000 dollar fix... How true any of this is I don't know, just what he told me
Old 09-16-2013, 02:22 PM

the re-flash per TSB 12-7-7 is the correct step. I had it but in the end I needed a new HPFP.

Get the flash it is the correct route.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
New User

Quote:
the re-flash per TSB 12-7-7 is the correct step. I had it but in the end I needed a new HPFP.

Is the new HPFP replacement a better quality, modified, improved? Or, is this an issue that will just return again, and again?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM

To the best of my knowledge there was no change in the hpfp specs.

I doubt it will come back after replacement.

There are several on the road that have never had the issue and are running fine.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 AM
New User

HPFP Replaced - P-0088 Code

Quote:

Hey Folks - I got the 12-7-7 Reflash. A few weeks later the truck started throwing the P-0088 code again. Took it to a different Ford dealer and they did a cab-off replacement of the High Pressure Fuel Pump. It was done under the engine warranty - cost was zero.

After the job was done, I noted on the work order that they used a remanufactured pump. I spoke with the diesel mechanic who did the job and he said they cannot get a new pump anymore for this engine (6.4L).

Since it was free, it's hard for me to complain, and many times a remanufactured part is better than new.

It hasn't thrown any codes since the pump was replaced. However, the day I picked it up, I noticed a "clicking" noise that I had not noticed before. The mechanics said they noticed it too, but did not feel that it was alarming at all. They said that the noise is present on a number of trucks they maintain, but if it gets worse, it should be looked into.

I uploaded a couple of recording I made with my phone of the sound to the links below. Any input regarding this would be appreciated.

https://files.secureserver.net/0s1VbblfwM550C

https://files.secureserver.net/0soHK3k1b6p1NV
Old 11-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Postmaster

slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Doesn't sound right to me, if it was not there before the repair I wouldn't take it home until its fixed.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel