Sponsored by: Moser

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:57 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote start

Was wondering if anyone has done the plug and play from ford. Is it really that easy ? 175.00 sounds reasonable.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM
cub129
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2013 XLT had the dealer installed Ford remote start added.......works GREAT, full integration into the cab systems, HVAC, etc. If you are looking at the same system....go for it, you'll like it.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
Elder User
11 thru 14 F-150 OEM Genuine Ford Parts Remote Starter Kit - Plug N Play - RPO

This is the add so it should be same as installed at the factory.
Think I will order it tomorrow, I'll wait to we if anyone has installed one.
Thanks

Old 09-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Beach_Bob
Senior User
Spring the little bit extra and get the two way remote start. Much longer range and you get a beep when it starts so that you know it actually happened.

The install is very simple, the biggest issue will be whether or not the option is turned on in the truck's programming and what you will have to do to get your dealer to turn it on if it isn't.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beach_Bob
Spring the little bit extra and get the two way remote start. Much longer range and you get a beep when it starts so that you know it actually happened.

The install is very simple, the biggest issue will be whether or not the option is turned on in the truck's programming and what you will have to do to get your dealer to turn it on if it isn't.
this. I would go even further and get the app you can use from your smartphone, otherwise factory remote starters are pretty well useless, they only have like a 50 foot range. If you dont have a smartphone or dont want to pay the extra 50bucks a year for the subscription I would pay the extra 100 bucks and get a good aftermarket two way system with at least a 3/4 mile range, its so worth it if you ever use it. I live where it is cold and snows and use mine every day in the winter and ive owned one for over 10 years now. I just traded my f150 that had an astro start two way system with a 3/4 mile range in on a f350 6.7 diesel platinum with the factory starter and it sucks *****, I will be removing it or bypassing it at my earliest convenience and installing another good aftermarket starter on it. It only works from 50 feet away if you are lucky, it wont work unless you press the lock button twice and then the start button, it doesnt tell you if it worked or not, you cant use it to keep the motor running and pull the key to run into the store for something quick. My astro start let me start it by holding one button for 2 seconds and if running with key on holding the button engaged the system so you could remove the key and it stayed running, used that feature all the time for quick in and outs where i wanted to lock my truck. I cant believe factory systems cant have decent range. I loved being able to start my truck from inside menards or whatever when it was parked way out there, impossible with a factory system. If you have to walk to within 50 feet to get it to work you might as well save your money and walk the rest of the 50 feet and turn the key in my opinion.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by SultanGris
this. I would go even further and get the app you can use from your smartphone, otherwise factory remote starters are pretty well useless, they only have like a 50 foot range. If you dont have a smartphone or dont want to pay the extra 50bucks a year for the subscription I would pay the extra 100 bucks and get a good aftermarket two way system with at least a 3/4 mile range, its so worth it if you ever use it. I live where it is cold and snows and use mine every day in the winter and ive owned one for over 10 years now. I just traded my f150 that had an astro start two way system with a 3/4 mile range in on a f350 6.7 diesel platinum with the factory starter and it sucks *****, I will be removing it or bypassing it at my earliest convenience and installing another good aftermarket starter on it. It only works from 50 feet away if you are lucky, it wont work unless you press the lock button twice and then the start button, it doesnt tell you if it worked or not, you cant use it to keep the motor running and pull the key to run into the store for something quick. My astro start let me start it by holding one button for 2 seconds and if running with key on holding the button engaged the system so you could remove the key and it stayed running, used that feature all the time for quick in and outs where i wanted to lock my truck. I cant believe factory systems cant have decent range. I loved being able to start my truck from inside menards or whatever when it was parked way out there, impossible with a factory system. If you have to walk to within 50 feet to get it to work you might as well save your money and walk the rest of the 50 feet and turn the key in my opinion.
Thanks, I'll go aftermarket.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by armstrongfordtrucks
Thanks, I'll go aftermarket.
the only thing to watch there is make sure you get a good installer and a good brand, there are many and some suck too. I had my local ford dealer install my astro start. Ive heard horror stories of hack jobs installing them incorrectly and having problems down the line. I would recommend Astro Start, Viper, or Compu Star. Those are some good ones i know of, each will have serveral different models that vary in price and features. some get pretty fancy with led screens and the like, my astro start was pretty basic with just a light that flashed green if it worked, red if it was out of range. The battery in the remote lasted forever, some of the fancy lcd screen ones have to be changed once a month. My local ford dealer charged me 330$ installed which isnt a bad price. Im thinking of going with a compustar remote/alarm combo with smartphone capabilities on the new truck, they are more around 700+ but they have cheaper ones that are just starters, no alarm. Shop around a little and find a remote you like, also ask around about the installers. Ive had good luck at my local best buy but some people in different cities have horrible luck. Not trying to scare you, its a pretty easy install but when some high school monkey is doing it sometimes they do a great job and other times they dont care and dont connect the wires properly and they fail in a few years down the line. If your ford dealer will do the install then they cant say a faulty install caused the problem if something happens down the line. A properly installed quality aftermarket starter will last forever, but sometimes dealers look for any little excuse they can to not honor the warranty. I have had 6 starters so far and never had a problem with any of them. Some were installed by ford, others by a reputable stereo shop with excellent installers. Some stereo shops are shady though, which is why I advise you ask around about them first. You will be much happier with the aftermarket, I guarantee it.

You can also google them and see what models they all have online, sometimes stores only carry certain ones but can install any of them if you like a different one better. For example here is the viper, but if you go to your local best buy who is the installer for them they might only carry one or two models and compustar and astro start dealers will be the same way. http://www.viper.com/shopviperproduc...tegoryCode=103