Sponsored by: Moser

Eco Boost TSB 13-8-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM
MikeD78
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eco Boost TSB 13-8-1

So on Saturday 8/31, 1 year and 12 hours after I drove my 2012 Lariat Super Crew off the lot, as I was driving home from NJ over the GW bridge, I finally had my Eco-Boost failure. It was the third time overall (second on the 600 mile trip from Boston to NJ and back) but the first one that actually caused the check engine light to go on, and left me unable to go over 40 mph for about 3 minutes. The first time was a day I had been on the highway for over an hour in the pouring rain, and I was stuck at 60 for a minute, and the second was on the way down to NJ, when I had been at 75 for between 2 and 3 hours, and punched it to pass someone. On the NJ trip, it was very humid, the same conditions described by most people when they have the problem.

Unlike what I've read happening to other people, the truck stayed at the same speed I was already traveling, but would not accelerate. The tranny dropped into a lower gear like it wanted to accelerate, but it would not give any power. When I got back to MA, I stopped by my dealer, and when they read the code, it said I had a misfire on cylinders 4, 5, & 6, most likely caused by the condensation getting sucked up into the engine.

The engineers at Ford released the latest TSB for the issue on 8/5/13. TSB 13-8-1, found here: TSB 13-8-1

Basically the new TSB removes the shield the previous TSBs put on the top of the air cooler (if installed, mine never had it done) puts updated software in the PCM, and installs a plastic shield over the lower 8 rows of fins on the cooler (by install, I mean sticks on with double sided tape). I guess this makes sense since by blocking the air flow to that part of the cooler, it should make it stay hotter, and hopefully evaporate the condensation.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this TSB done to their truck, and how it's worked for you. I just got my truck back on Friday, and took it for a 150 mile drive over the weekend. It still drives great, but I do notice the engine seems to perform a bit differently. Not bad, it's still got plenty of power, and gets out of it's own way even better then the CVPIs I've driven, but it just seems different. I can't quite put my finger on it though. Any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeD78
It still drives great, but I do notice the engine seems to perform a bit differently. Not bad, it's still got plenty of power, and gets out of it's own way even better then the CVPIs I've driven, but it just seems different. I can't quite put my finger on it though. Any thoughts?
Per the TSB, it looks like in addition to the air deflector, there is a PCM flash. You are probably seeing a difference in engine characteristics because of this. Just a thought

Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Man I dread the day I ever see this issue...

Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man in the last 30 days, I have been within spitting distance of trading my problem free '11 5.0, 3.55, F-150 for a '13 3.5, 3.73, Max Payload, Max Tow but then I read a new story about the EcoBoost condensation problem resurfacing, and all of the sudden my old '11 5.0L truck keeps sounding like a keeper.

Out here in California, it would be rare to have such humidity or ripe conditions, but I plan on some cross-country towing trips in my future and don't want to be bothered with this annoyance. All of these patches, retrofits and reflashes are commendable, but sound worthless and unacceptable.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if putting the offset license plate back in the center like the N/A powered trucks, would cause the intercooler to run hotter, thus eliminating the condensation in the cooler?

I have a neighbor who bought a '12 EcoBoost F150 a year ago, he put his plate in the center, because he said he didn't like the way the offset plate broke up the lines on the front of the truck. To date, he has not reported any problems or loss of performance.

I've said it once and I will say it again, I hope Ford has this EcoBoost condensation issue sorted out by the launch of the next gen F-150.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Man in the last 30 days, I have been within spitting distance of trading my problem free '11 5.0, 3.55, F-150 for a '13 3.5, 3.73, Max Payload, Max Tow but then I read a new story about the EcoBoost condensation problem resurfacing, and all of the sudden my old '11 5.0L truck keeps sounding like a keeper.

Out here in California, it would be rare to have such humidity or ripe conditions, but I plan on some cross-country towing trips in my future and don't want to be bothered with this annoyance. All of these patches, retrofits and reflashes are commendable, but sound worthless and unacceptable.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if putting the offset license plate back in the center like the N/A powered trucks, would cause the intercooler to run hotter, thus eliminating the condensation in the cooler?

I have a neighbor who bought a '12 EcoBoost F150 a year ago, he put his plate in the center, because he said he didn't like the way the offset plate broke up the lines on the front of the truck. To date, he has not reported any problems or loss of performance.

I've said it once and I will say it again, I hope Ford has this EcoBoost condensation issue sorted out by the launch of the next gen F-150.
We're still reading of some residual 2012 model issues. There is a fella who just posted on the ecoboost forum here on FTE, he had a 2011 with 67K miles and had his first intercooler issue today. He's had other issues with the truck in general apparently but none intercooler related.

I'm about ready to break 30K miles and no issues mechanically.

Ok, so reading through the TSB, this procedure does not apply to the 2013 trucks. So my friend, don't worry too much about the new EB's.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
With respect to the OP, I really don't understand why everyone is so concerned about this. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The OP mentioned that his truck wouldn't accelerate for a minute. The engine didn't seize. The truck didn't blow up. Nobody went down in a fiery death, and nobody's warranty has been voided. Why on earth does anyone "dread" this hiccup? It was COMMON on the 2008 6.4L trucks...mine did it a couple of times before I let my wife drive it, but it wasn't even bad enough for me to take it in. Of course my CEL didn't come on, but there were thousands who went into their dealer and got a new CAC.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 PM
MikeD78
New User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
With respect to the OP, I really don't understand why everyone is so concerned about this. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The OP mentioned that his truck wouldn't accelerate for a minute. The engine didn't seize. The truck didn't blow up. Nobody went down in a fiery death, and nobody's warranty has been voided. Why on earth does anyone "dread" this hiccup? It was COMMON on the 2008 6.4L trucks...mine did it a couple of times before I let my wife drive it, but it wasn't even bad enough for me to take it in. Of course my CEL didn't come on, but there were thousands who went into their dealer and got a new CAC.
Like I said, in a year and 12,000 miles, it happened a grand total of 3 times. The bad part about it though, is that it happens when you're calling for power and acceleration. Now, the first 2 were on the open highway, and I just rode it out, and in fact, I moved over to the right so I could slow down if I needed to. The time that the engine light came on, I was stuck at a relatively slow speed since I had just gone through a toll booth on the GW bridge, and I was trying to accelerate to get out of the way of the tractor trailer next to me that hadn't really slowed down for the toll. I made it out ok, but it wasn't a time I wanted to lose the ability to speed up.

My case hasn't been bad, and it might not happen to me again for another year, if at all. I still think it's a great engine, but I'm just looking for info from other people who have had the latest TSB done to compare notes.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MikeD78
My case hasn't been bad, and it might not happen to me again for another year, if at all. I still think it's a great engine, but I'm just looking for info from other people who have had the latest TSB done to compare notes.
Well said Mike, I like your perspective on the matter. I'm also interested in the results for this TSB. My post was mainly commenting on the genuine fear that seems to be out there over this, and nothing more.

My 2013 hasn't done it at all, but of course I haven't had it a year yet.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User

Crazy- No disrespect, but I would be a fool to move forward on any purchase where there is a known issue that may or may not happen or that hasn't been fully sorted out by the manufacture. I don't really care that the problem is not so severe that it will cause the engine to explode , seize or cause the truck to go down in a fiery blaze. I would just rather not have the issue potentially happen at all. Especially in a situation where you are calling on the power like when passing or pulling a grade. For me this condensation issue would be something I would have in the back of my mind every time I hook my trailer up and take the family out in, no thanks.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:38 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Crazy- No disrespect, but I would be a fool to move forward on any purchase where there is a known issue that may or may not happen or that hasn't been fully sorted out by the manufacture. I don't really care that the problem is not so severe that it will cause the engine to explode , seize or cause the truck to go down in a fiery blaze. I would just rather not have the issue potentially happen at all. Especially in a situation where you are calling on the power like when passing or pulling a grade. For me this condensation issue would be something I would have in the back of my mind every time I hook my trailer up and take the family out in, no thanks.

Yes and no.

Every vehicle has it's issues, plain and simple. What's got me concerned here a bit, is the situation this issue may put you in, if it happened and you didn't have enough time/power to react. The fact that it's not quite figured out yet is a concern. That being said, I would not and didn't hesitate to buy my Ecoboost.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Tom pointed out that the 6.4's were having this issue as well. I'm certain that previous diesels had it and I'm not certain of the 6.7's. The point here is, Ford had has this issue in the past in mass, why in the hell didn't they design the 3.5L to NOT have the issue if it's that well known?

A person has to be able to drive their vehicle with confidence. These issue even though they are becoming less and less common still don't inspire confidence.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
I guess by your logic I'm a fool then.

Not gonna derail the OP's thread any further. I'm interested to see who has had this done and if it solved their problems.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Hi everyone,

As a reminder, I'm here to do what I can to help if you ever have a physical concern with your vehicle. For me to work my magic, I'll need a PM from you with your name, phone number, mileage, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership.

Thanks!

Crystal

Old 09-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
I guess by your logic I'm a fool then.

Not gonna derail the OP's thread any further. I'm interested to see who has had this done and if it solved their problems.
Not calling you a fool, I said I would be if I purchased one lol. And that's mostly because I have had bad luck with purchasing a few vehicles in the past, knowing & researching well ahead of time about certain quirks and issues, only to have had it bite me in the rear later.

Seriously man, is it really too much to ask to not have to worry about this issue four years into the model run? These trucks cost $38-$50k I would expect not to run into the problem ever.

Also just because the 6.4 PSD's had the problem, doesn't make it acceptable in the 3.5 today. I owned an '05 Ram 2500 Cummins diesel, while that truck had its known issues (Lift pump failure, ball joints, U-joints, etc..) never once was there a condensation issue regarding the intercooler on the truck, or on any Cummins related forum.

If it doesn't happen with other turbocharged engines from other brands, perhaps Ford needs to hire that guy/ gal to figure theirs out.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Not calling you a fool, I said I would be if I purchased one lol. And that's mostly because I have had bad luck with purchasing a few vehicles in the past, knowing & researching well ahead of time about certain quirks and issues, only to have had it bite me in the rear later.

Seriously man, is it really too much to ask to not have to worry about this issue four years into the model run? These trucks cost $38-$50k I would expect not to run into the problem ever.

Also just because the 6.4 PSD's had the problem, doesn't make it acceptable in the 3.5 today. I owned an '05 Ram 2500 Cummins diesel, while that truck had its known issues (Lift pump failure, ball joints, U-joints, etc..) never once was there a condensation issue regarding the intercooler on the truck, or on any Cummins related forum.

If it doesn't happen with other turbocharged engines from other brands, perhaps Ford needs to hire that guy/ gal to figure theirs out.
Pool to be honest I haven't given the CAC issue second thought and I also live in California. I just put my foot in the throttle every now and then to help keep it from happening. I am not saying that it will per say since mine is the newer model (I think it is anyway) but like Tom said this is not anything that is not covered under warranty and cannot get worked on. Sure no one wants it to happen to them especially when they need the power to pass someone etc. but really you are missing out on a great motor.

In the end whatever you decide for yourself is what's going to be best for you...but honestly if you ask me not getting the ecoboost for this minor issue in my book, which may or may not happen, makes you miss out. Obviously you are wanting the ecoboost if you are almost ready to trade your 5.0 in...just do it and don't look back.

Quick Reply: Eco Boost TSB 13-8-1