1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help with P1316, can't get the light off..

Old 09-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with P1316, can't get the light off..

I've been searching this forum and I'm at a loss. I have a P1316 code that I can't get off. Below is everything over the past two weeks.

The truck started up and drove just fine. Idle was smooth, no smoke, no vibration, good power. Only issue was the SES light and P1316.

OHM'ed out all injectors and glow plugs, all were in good shape.

Buzz test was good.

I had a damanged Valve cover harness on passenger side so a new Pig Tail was installed. but no change in P1316.

Pulled Valve covers and found a leaking gasket on the drivers side, replaced both sides, both UVCH's were tight but I replaced them anyway since I had them in the parts box.

OHM'd all out again and received the same positive results. Checked for oil from injectors and I have good flow. Compression checked out good.

Reassembeled the valve covers and still get the code.

I started looking up through the wiring harness for a damaged wire or any sort of connector issue. All is top notch now! I can clear the code and it will comeback as Pending, then once I turn off the turck and start it back up, it hard sets.

Finially, I pulled the IDM and replaced it with a new one. I still get the code.

So to recap, New IDM, New engine side wiring pig tails at the valve cover, new valve cover gaskets, ,new UVCH's and good Glow Plugs/Injectors.

I still have a P1316, no other codes. Nothing. aside from the SES being on, this 7.3 excursion is top notch, but how do I get this light off?

Start asking questions, I'll do my best, but right now I'm at a loss. I've replaced everyting that looked bad or didn't. Talk about throwing money at something, now that I've replaced everything exepct the main motor wiring harness, I'm at a loss.

Suggestions?

Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the P1316 code before you reset it, have you tried a Buzz test to pull the stored codes in the IDM?

I have never seen just the P1316 without any other codes, since it means that there are codes stored in the IDM...

What are you using to pull the codes?

Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Buzz test is all good. We have performed the test several times with good results each time. Codes are being pulled by a diesel tech friend of mine, I'm not sure of his scanner, but we are all at a loss.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
When you say buzz test is all good, there are no other codes? Is the test performed before or after the codes are cleared?

Where in OK are you?

Old 09-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
I'm in Tulsa. We can run a buzz test with the hard code and after we cleared the code and all injectors are strong, or at least sound the same.

When I had the valve covers off I watched the oil flow from the injectors and the flow was consistent from all injectors and both sides.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Bumping up... Any more suggestions?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:52 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Read thru a thread i started " clearing idm codes (tugly) ". Sounds exactly like my truck and i still cannot get rid of that code even though the engine runs good. Still working on it.There must be some other codes specific to the 1316, like a 1276 or something else.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
I'll check out the thread. No additional codes come up. We replaced the IDM because we assumed the Superchips module had previously damaged the actual IDM. But that didn't work...

Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tugly
You wouldn't want to reinstall the scan tool. They are suggesting you clear the codes, then go through the process of testing the IDM again. In this case, a KOEO and KOER is the AE version of a retest. P1316 is a generic code. If there is a true problem, The KOEO and KOER should flag something more specific. While talking with people in industry, the generic IDM code rates up there with the #3 and #8 failure with a grey CPS... ignore it unless you have issues and other evidence to back this code up.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1260202-clearing-idm-codes-tugly.html#post13417461

So is the suggestion to change the CPS since my injectors appear to be good from buzz and ohm test?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:11 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1260202-clearing-idm-codes-tugly.html#post13417461

So is the suggestion to change the CPS since my injectors appear to be good from buzz and ohm test?
The CPS isn't going to cause you to get a P1316, the gray CPS has been known to cause codes for #3 and 8 during a Cylinder Contribution Test.

It is saying if you aren't getting any other codes then don't worry about it. Which I slightly disagree and think you may have the early signs of an injector issue, I just find it very odd that there are no other codes present. Usually you see that with just a generic scantool, not with a more advanced tool that can perform BUZZ tests or KOEO selftests.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
A 1316 tells you you have stored idm codes. You need a scan tool like AE to access them. Only then will you be able dig deeper, otherwise you are just guessing.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Well it's at a Diesel shop now. We'll see what they say. I'm not sure what scan tool my buddy uses, but it wasn't one of the generic ones often found. I'll see what they say today.

But consistently, no other codes were found. We could see the code soft set and then when the truck was turned off and restarted, it would hard set the code. I'll report back.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:38 AM
cps
Laughing Gas
Any updates?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Yep we have some updates....

The diesel shop, using Ford Scan software, didn't find any reason for the codes either. I had them replace the CPS on a whim after they said the #3 and #8 injectors were the issue.

I paid to have them do a #3 since #8 is a continual issue according to FTE. They wanted to also replace #4 and #8, but the truck is running good with no other signs of problems.

The injectors may be going bad, but I have a receipt from the Previous Owner showing where they had purchased injectors from International about 30K miles ago.

Considering #4 and #8 are on the easier to get to drivers side, I may replace them myself at a later time, but I was in the shop for $900 in labor with all the diagnostic work and the $300 injector. I didn't want to keep chasing that rabbit.

I would love for a Oklahoma Tech Day to have some fellow brotherhood check it out. As it stands now, I have the Check engine light on with a P1316 code. The truck starts easy, runs easy and smooth and I do not have any smoke.

Unless I'm told otherwise, I don't see a reason to do anything else.

Am I wrong?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
I have pretty much the same thing going on with my engine. My only other guess could be maybe the injector solinoids are slightly out of spec causing the SES but IDK. Until it runs crappy i am not going to worry. One other tidbit, when i coast down a hill the light goes out. Not sure what that means. The only bad thing about the SES light is another code could show up and you would not know unless the truck ran differently. I will update if i find anything new to add. Roy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with P1316, can't get the light off..